PDA

View Full Version : 'Too big of a family really to leave'

thedrifter
12-15-05, 12:50 PM
Posted on Thu, Dec. 15, 2005
'Too big of a family really to leave'
KIMBERLY HEFLING
Associated Press

Seven months after being wounded, Sgt. Michael Sarro still has a large metal brace on his right leg and needs assistance to do even routine tasks.

Virtually homebound, he spends his days taking Internet college courses and looking forward to the day "when I'm fixed."

And when he's fixed, he's determined to become a commissioned officer in the Army - so he can start writing the rules, he says, and not just enforcing them.

His friends have told him he's done his duty and should move on. But Sarro says his wartime experiences and the care he's received have convinced him he's found a home - in the military.

After a stint in the Marines, Sarro joined the Pennsylvania National Guard so he could go to Iraq.

On May 14, his Humvee ran over two anti-tank mines planted by insurgents who then opened fire from rooftops. A bullet pierced his right leg.

He and his wife, Kelly, have been living with his parents in Phoenixville, Pa., as his leg heals; doctors told him it needs to "stretch and regrow" where it was blown out. He hopes to have the brace taken off in a couple of months and then complete rehab.

"The way everyone's treated me since I've been out and injured it's too big of a family really to leave," says Sarro, 25. "I figure with everything everyone's done for me, I pretty much owe that back at the very least. I've loved it since I was 18. I don't plan to stop now.

"Some people told me to move on ... . If they saw the level of care and stuff they'd probably do the same. It's just too tight to leave."

Ellie