PDA

View Full Version : UNC graduate to trade wrestling for military duty

thedrifter
12-15-05, 12:37 PM
UNC graduate to trade wrestling for military duty
By Patrick C. McFadden

Matthew Stewart found out in November that he would need to put aside something to which he has dedicated much of his life.

The recent University of Northern Colorado graduate received word from the Marines that he would be heading to Iraq soon after graduating this month. Stewart has been a member of the UNC wrestling team for four seasons and the 2005-2006 season was to be his last. Instead, the former wrestler will be wrestling on a different surface and on a different continent in less than a month.

“He had a chance to contribute,” said UNC wrestling coach Jack Maughan. “He had a chance to be a key factor this season. It’s like letting the air out of a balloon.”

Stewart joined the United States Marine Reserve Corps two weeks before his high school graduation. Juggling time as a soldier, student and athlete has never posed much of a problem for Stewart until now.

“I missed a tournament my freshman season because of the Reserves,” Stewart said.

When asked about what makes Stewart unique, Maughan talked about Stewart’s motivation.

“Everybody has a tendency to slack off, usually where they can’t afford to, but Matt never did that,” he said.

Stewart said that it would have been hard on him to only compete for a semester.

“Knowing that I wouldn’t be here for the second semester, my heart just wasn’t in it,” Stewart said. “If your heart isn’t in it, you end up just going out there and getting beat up and that isn’t fun.”

Stewart, a Colorado Springs native, expects to serve a seven-month tour of duty in Iraq. Upon returning, the UNC grad is planning to put his degree to use along with his wrestling and military experience. He is in the process of filling out papers to become a Drug Enforcement Administration Special Agent.

“He’s always been serious, mature and a very hard worker,” Maughan said. “He has done everything we ask. This was his year to go out on top.”

If you were to ask Stewart, this is his version of going out on top.

Ellie