PDA

View Full Version : Silver Star presented to Marine

thedrifter
12-14-05, 08:08 AM
Silver Star presented to Marine
By Mike Gooding
WVEC
12 December 2005

There were heartfelt congratulations all around Monday as a Marine was awarded the Silver Star, the nation's third highest military decoration for gallantry in action.

27-year-old Christopher P. Niedziocha was a first lieutenant on June 8, 2004. His Camp Lejeune 22nd Marine Expeditionary Unit convoy was ambushed in Sandabaz, Afghanistan. His group came under heavy rocket and small arms fire and seemed hopelessly outnumbered.

"That's why Chris was awarded the Silver Star today - leadership under great duress and in great danger of his life," said Lt. Gen. James Amos during the presentation at Naval Station Norfolk.

Niedziocha led a small platoon up a mountain on a bold, flanking maneuver. They trapped, neutralized and ultimately eliminated enemy forces he described as "very bad people."

The citation praises him for "bold leadership, wise judgment and complete dedication to duty."

The King of Prussia, Pennsylvania native said it was "very humbling" to receive the Silver Star and he wanted to spread the glory.

"The people I had working for me were top-notch. So really I can't take too much credit for it. It was the thing to do. It was a tactically smart thing to do. I knew that I was prepared for it. All it took was a few words, and it just unfolded."

Of the more than one million U.S. military men and women who've served in Afghanistan and Iraq, fewer than 200 have earned silver stars.

His mother is understandably proud.

"We were shocked. He doesn't say a whole lot about what goes on, so we were very impressed and proud, obviously." said Carol Niedziocha.

He's now assigned to the Second Marine "FAST Company" in Yorktown.

The Silver Star presentation reads as follows:

The President of the United States takes pleasure in presenting the SILVER STAR MEDAL to Capt. Christopher P. Niedziocha, United States Marine Corps for service as set forth in the following:

CITATION:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity in action against the enemy while serving as Battalion Landing Team ONE SIX Combined Anti-Armor Platoon Commander assigned to 22d Marine Expeditionary Unit deployed with Commander, United States FIFTH Fleet on 8 June 2004.

When his convoy came under heavy rocket and small arms fire in an enemy ambush near the village of Sandabuz, Afghanistan, First Lieutenant Niedziocha pushed his vehicles through the kill zone as far forward as possible to confront the enemy's main ambush site. With his vehicles caught in a crossfire, he led his Marines from the front by engaging enemy positions with devastating heavy machine gun and small arms fire. First Lieutenant Niedziocha aggressively engaged the enemy at a distance of less than 100 meters and negated the enemy's advantage of standoff and surprise. Seeking to regain the initiative, he led his Marines in a bold flanking maneuver, trapping some enemy forces who were later found and eliminated, causing others to break contact. He then led his Marines in pursuit of the fleeing enemy, neutralizing the remaining enemy forces with direct fire and close air support. By his bold leadership, wise judgment and complete dedication to duty, First Lieutenant Niedziocha reflected great credit upon himself and upheld the highest traditions of the Marine Corps and the United States Naval Service.

For the President, Gordon England, Secretary of the Navy

Ellie

yellowwing
12-14-05, 04:11 PM
By his bold leadership, wise judgment and complete dedication to duty, First Lieutenant Niedziocha reflected great credit upon himself and upheld the highest traditions of the Marine Corps and the United States Naval Service.

For all you poolees, this is what we expect of our Marines! Semper Fi Lt. Niedziocha

http://www.ywg-web.com/images/Niedziocha.jpg