View Full Version : Boy's wish is to be a Marine

thedrifter
12-14-05, 08:02 AM
Boy's wish is to be a soldier
Trip to Marine base planned
By Chuck Myron
cmyron@lehighnewsstar.com
Originally posted on December 14, 2005

The life of a Marine is rough, but it's just what 6-year-old Brandon Rasnick is looking for.

The Make-A-Wish Foundation arranged for Brandon to travel to Camp Lejeune on Monday for a three-day stint as an honorary member of the Corps.

Brandon will be outfitted with his own Marine uniform, learn how to drive a tank and dig ditches, do drills and eat in the mess hall, according to the Make-A-Wish Foundation of Southern Florida.

The Marines are also putting up Brandon's mother, father and half-sister on the base while he's there.

"They really put out the welcome mat," said Make-A-Wish fundraiser Sally Maitland. "It's amazing how many organizations are great about doing wishes for us."

The idea came from Darlene Tregunno, a wish granter from Make-A-Wish who went to visit Brandon at his house. Tregunno knew of Make-A-Wish children who had gone to military bases before, and suggested it to Brandon after she noticed his altruistic spirit.

"Bless his little heart, he just wanted to save everything in the world from everything," Tregunno said. "He just idealizes soldiers."

Brandon's mother, Deanna Rasnick, said Brandon equates soldiers with helping people.

"His mission in life is just to help people," she said.

Once he knew he could go do what soldiers do, Brandon jumped at the chance.

"I really want to be like a soldier," he said. "I want to see what everything's like in the Army."

Brandon has been keeping in shape for drills, and isn't afraid of getting screamed at by a drill sergeant.

"I want to be treated like that," Brandon said. "I want to see what it's like."

Brandon's mother relishes the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for her son, who has cystic fibrosis.

"The most extraordinary thing about him picking that is, with cystic fibrosis, he'll never be in the Army," she said. "No matter how much money I had, I could never get him on the Marine base."

Marine spokesman 1st Lt. Clark D. Carpenter confirmed that someone with the disease has little chance of actual military service. But he said the Corps embraces children who visit through Make-A-Wish.

"I have seen the Marine Corps welcome children with disabilities with open arms," he said. "We understand the importance of making them feel welcome and welcoming them into our family."

Brandon has been in and out of the hospital since he was born. Though the disease, which affects breathing and digestion, doesn't keep him from everyday activities like going to school or playing football, he still can only expect to live about 30 years, his mother said.

Yet Brandon is not as concerned about his own plight as with what he can do for others in need.

"I don't care what happens to me," he said. "I care what happens to them."

Ellie