PDA

View Full Version : Forget me not

thedrifter
12-12-05, 07:56 AM
Forget me not
December 12, 2005
BY DIANE MOUSKOURIE
DAILY NEWS STAFF

Douglas and Harley Scott's daddy has been in Iraq since July. He won't be home in time for Christmas, but on Sunday they received what could be the next best thing.

At first the two children seemed bewildered. Then they saw clearly what was in front of them: fluffy pillows with a photographic impression (made from their favorite picture) of their father, Marine Staff Sgt. Dewey J. Scott.

Altogether, 20 pillows were presented before the morning service Sunday at Calvary Assembly of God Church in Jacksonville to children whose parents are deployed to Iraq, Kuwait or Afghanistan.

Douglas, 6, and Harley, 3, said they will put the pillows on their beds.

"I'm going to sleep with it every night," Douglas said. "I'm the man of the house, and it terrifies me.

"When Daddy comes home I'm going to tell him he can have that job because I don't want to take care of the women no more."

His mother, Tonya Scott, laughed.

"When they handed the children the pillows I cried," she said. "To see their faces light up when they saw it was him."

Other parents expressed similar feelings.

Mark Cadwalader's wife, Master Sgt. Jaime Cadwalader, left for Kuwait shortly after their son, Travis, was born. The baby is 6 months old now. His sister, Brooke, is 3 years old.

"I thought it was great," he said. "When I left the first time, Brooke was only a year old and she carried the photo around in her backpack the whole time."

Cadwalader sent that photo to be imprinted on the pillow. It's a picture of him and his wife at a Marine Corps ball.

"It's her favorite," he said of his daughter.

Laura Van Fleet had her children's favorite photos taken with their dad, Sgt. Brian Van Fleet. He has been in Iraq since August and is not expected home until March.

The children, Julia, 7, Katelyn, 4, Elisabeth, 3, and Zachary, 9 months, hugged their pillows close.

"I think it's really nice because it has me and my daddy," Julia said. "It makes me happy."

She and her sisters said they will put their pillows on their beds and sleep with them.

Their mother was pleased.

"I'm very grateful," she said. "This will make time pass faster for us. It's a blessing."