PDA

View Full Version : Five Marines in special billets receive awards

Shaffer
11-12-02, 09:10 AM
Five Marines from around the Corps were selected as the best of the best in their positions of recruiter, drill instructor, School of Infantry instructor, Marine Security Guard and career planner.

The Marines were selected during a combined awards ceremony at Harry Lee Hall on Oct. 29.

The Marines were first nominated for selection from their individual units, and competed against their peers for selection as the best of their base, district or detachment. These Marines then competed for top honors before a board of sergeants major for selection as the Marine Corps' finest in their respective fields.

Gunnery Sgt. James Cornelius, 9th Marine Corps District, was selected as the Recruiter of the Year. During the past year, the Scottsburg, Ind., native recruited 36 Marines and only suffered a loss of 1.6 percent in his pool program. When he was selected as Recruiter of the Year, he wasn't striving for the title, but just to be the best recruiter he can.

"You always strive to do the best you can, but I never thought I would get it," he said.

Cornelius attributed his selection as Recruiter of the Year to his love of the Corps.

"I care about the Marine Corps and I care about who I recruit in the Marine Corps, and the numbers showed that," he said. "To be a good recruiter, you have to care about the people you bring in."

Gunnery Sgt. Edward Gonzalez, from Marine Corps Recruit Depot, Parris Island, S.C., was selected as the Drill Instructor of the Year. During the past three years, Gonzalez filled almost every position in the drill field, from drill instructor to drill master. Experience and Professional Military Education is what he attributes to his selection.

"You should always have the expectation to win, and always think that you deserve to win," said the Chicago, Ill., native. "You have to go in and give your best shot and stay in the game. When you're out there training recruits, you are tired, hungry and your feet hurt, but you can't let that show."

Staff Sgt. Sean M. Christensen, from School of Infantry East, Camp Lejeune, N.C., was selected as the School of Infantry Instructor of the Year. When he first was selected as an instructor, Christensen, a Lexington, Ky., native, knew about the award but never gave it a second thought. He just wanted to turn these young Marines into basic riflemen, and his efforts showed through by the superiority of his students and control of his classes.

"What [made me stand] out from the rest was the quality of my students, the way they react to me and the way I handle myself in public," he said.

Christensen said there isn't a special formula to being the best.

"There were no secrets, just do what you are supposed to do and do your best," he said. "Show that you care and don't half-step."

Staff Sgt. Michael Lambert was selected as the Marine Security Guard of the Year. He is stationed at the American Embassy in Karachi, Pakistan.

Gunnery Sgt. Terry Barrett, School of Infantry East, Camp Lejeune, N.C., was selected as the Career Planner of the Year. When Barrett, a Brooklyn, N.Y., native, saw the message announcing the award, she never gave it a second thought.

"When they selected me, I was humbled," she said. "As Marines, we go about doing our job every day without the thought of recognition."

She attributes her success to the support she receives from her command.

"I am lucky because I have an awesome command," she said. "If a career planner is selected, it is indicative of their command."

During the ceremony, each winner was meritoriously promoted, with the exception of Barrett. They were also awarded the Navy and Marine Corps Commendation Medal, along with other awards from Marine Corps sponsored organizations.