View Full Version : Lapses don't affect Marine's patriotism

thedrifter
12-11-05, 06:45 AM
Posted on Sun, Dec. 11, 2005
Lapses don't affect Marine's patriotism
One year after being wounded in Iraq, local veteran wants to return
BY SCOTT WUERZ
News-Democrat

James Sperry walks around with his pockets stuffed with notes.

It's been a year since the 20-year-old Belleville Marine returned from Iraq, wounded by an insurgent's rocket-propelled grenade that ricocheted off his helmet and exploded against a wall next to him. His short-term memory remains elusive. He has three or four head-splitting migraines a week.

Yet Sperry doesn't regret joining the Marines in 2003, fresh out of Belleville West High School at 18 years old. In fact, more than anything, he aches to get back into the fight.

"I'm working as hard as I can to get better," Sperry said. "I get reevaluated in 14 months and 10 days, and I want to re-enlist. I figure that I signed up for four years and I only served two, so I still owe two more."

Sperry and his wife, Elizabeth -- also a Belleville West grad -- live in California these days. Pregnant with their first child, she is still serving in the Marines and is stationed at Camp Pendleton near San Diego.

James Sperry has taken a job working as a technician on million-dollar recreational vehicles as he rehabilitates from wounds suffered in the insurgent stronghold of Fallujah.

"I fight it quite a bit," James Sperry said of his wounds. "I have a condition on my brain they described, basically, as permanent bruising. It's supposed to keep getting worse as I get older. Although some doctors say it won't get worse, they don't think it's going to get better. It's kind of like being senile."

As much as it worries him to know about his son's health struggles, Steve Sperry said he is glad James is safe in the United States and getting on with his life.

Steve Sperry said he was horrified two years ago to learn that his son signed up for the Marines. He tried in vain to talk him out of signing up.

His mother, Kathy, said she constantly worried about James while he was in Iraq. She was shocked when her son called and casually chatted on the phone while terrorists' mortar shots exploded in the background.

"His unit was called back over to Iraq recently," Steve Sperry said. "If it wasn't for him being wounded, I know that he would be back over there right now."

Steve Sperry said he follows his son's unit over the Internet and worries about the Marines that had to go back.

"I'm so glad my son isn't there," Steve Sperry said. "But I can understand what the other parents are going through."

James Sperry said his injuries and the dwindling public support for the war don't shake his faith that it was the right thing to do.

"I think President Bush is doing exactly what he needs to do to get things done," James Sperry said. "People who cry and moan about the war don't understand what is going on. The Iraqis are getting pretty close to where they can run their own missions themselves. It's happening slowly and surely. It's just going to take some time."

Contact reporter Scott Wuerz at swuerz@bnd.com or 239-2626.

Ellie