PDA

View Full Version : Corps loses good Marine to tragedy; drill instructor picks up legacy

thedrifter
12-09-05, 12:27 PM
Corps loses good Marine to tragedy; drill instructor picks up legacy
MCRD San Diego
Story by Lance Cpl. Mikel L. Savides

MARINE CORPS RECRUIT DEPOT SAN DIEGO, Calif. (Dec. 9, 2005) -- When Staff Sgt. Ira J. Wilkie reported to Instructional Training Company, his executive officer wanted to talk athletics.

Speaking solemnly about the initial conversation, Wilkie accredited Capt. Patrick M. Klokow with making him the athlete Wilkie wished his former leader could see today.

Wilkie said Klokow talked about physical conditioning and wanted to know Wilkie's interests. Klokow, known to be an exceptional athlete, set to make Wilkie a triathlete.

Workouts would go during lunchtime, early mornings and weekends.

"It was all new to me," said Wilkie of the training. "I was always a strong runner, but my swimming skills lacked. And although I had previously done a little mountain biking, riding on the road is completely different."

Wilkie said the cycling began when Klokow started working out with him during lunch and riding whenever they had time.

Soon training with Klokow became Wilkie's main focus.

"I stopped going out at night and doing anything that would interfere with my training to become a triathlete," said Wilkie. "To be good requires a lot of dedication."

Meanwhile, Wilkie furthered his education, which he said Klokow constantly strived to do. Amidst the training, Wilkie attended the University of Phoenix with a full course load. All the while, he served as a drill instructor and an academic instructor.

When speaking about Klokow's influence, Wilkie said, "He was always looking to improve himself, and I strived to be like him."

After a while, other Marines said the two athletes developed similar characteristics.

"The biggest thing they had in common was their work ethic, and they both always focused on teamwork, taking care of Marines and physical fitness," said Staff Sgt. Bill J. Shaw Jr., an IT Co. drill instructor.

A few days after an intense Saturday workout - an Olympic distance ride in late August - Wilkie was blindsided by what he called "the last thing any of us expected to hear."

Klokow had been killed.

The two had planned to cycle separately to work on the morning of Aug. 23. At lunchtime, they would do one of their favorite workouts: a bike-to-run transition. However, only one of them made it to work that day. A hit-and-run driver struck and killed Klokow.

"Tuesday was one of our best workouts," said Wilkie, his face turning somber. "That morning we were told to report to the company office. I had not seen (Klokow) yet that morning, so I figured I would talk to him there about our workout. Then I saw the chaplain and the look on our first sergeant's face. Something wasn't right."

That day, Wilkie left his office and realized he had only one way home: his bicycle.

"I made it all the way down to the gate when I got off my bike and called my girlfriend for a ride. I just thought to myself, 'Maybe this isn't the smartest thing to do.'"

Moments before, Wilkie's friend Shaw had warned him to "be careful" riding home.

His mentor's death was hard, but it didn't keep him off his bike for long.

Two weeks later, Wilkie competed in the Los Angeles Triathlon and placed fourth in the public service category. He also began heading the depot's triathlon club, which Klokow originally organized. In honor of Klokow, Wilkie had club jerseys printed with Klokow's initials.

In the past year, Wilkie has competed in about nine triathlons and various other events such as marathons and Half-Ironman competitions, and he thanks Klokow for sparking the interest.

Wilkie has kept Klokow in his memory in many different ways, but he said he thinks about him most when competing in big events. Wilkie has trained for, competed in and completed the Tour de Julian 2005, the Open Air MRI Centers Silver Strand Half Marathon and 5K, the Las Vegas Marathon, the San Diego Rock n' Roll Marathon and many other events.

Recently, he has been training for Ironman Florida, an event with around 2,500 entrants registering within three hours, according to Wilkie.

Wilkie said, "I owe him a lot. I wouldn't have gotten into this if it weren't for him."

A sticker on Wilkie's bike reads, "In memory of Captain Patrick M. Klokow, I will never forget you."

Wilkie has ridden that bike in nearly every competition since Klokow's passing.

Savides is a combat correspondent with the 12th Marine Corps District recruiting headquarters in San Diego.

Ellie