PDA

View Full Version : You can't fool a Marine

miguelito
12-08-05, 04:55 PM
So the other day my friends and I were out having a good time at the local bar. I glance across the table we were sitting at and I see one of my fellow Marines speaking with a girl that had dog tags hanging out of her shirt. He comes up to me with the girl and tells me she is a Sergeant in the Marine Corps in a sarcastic manner. I get the immediate impression that my friend is trying to tell me she is BS'ing, and so I say, "why don't you tuck in your dog tags Sergeant?" (keep in mind I would never actually have the audacity to say this to a real NCO). She just looks at me in hesitation and makes a drunken attempt to tuck them in. I then ask her what her MOS is and not only does she not know what MOS even stands for, but she says her job is medical! So I say, "Oh you're a Corpsman?", and she says, "No I'm 0311". So I make it clear to her that 0311 is a rifleman and she retorts in a hostile manner that every Marine is a rifleman. So I tell her "Yes, that's true, but NO Marine is medical". She then quickly walks away confused and disgusted and avoids us the rest of the night.

I used to get quite angry when I would hear stories about people claiming to be Marines or former Marines, but now I take it as a compliment as they only dream they have what it takes to become one of the few.

Any Marines here have any similar stories?

outlaw3179
12-08-05, 05:11 PM
OH yeah!

At the bar one night back home. , with a couple of Marines. Some ******* comes up to us and starts telling us he was a Marine. Ok then .... so were listening to him and we start probing him a little . We asked him who he was with . He says at first he cant remember and then say he actually can but cant tell us ... Being top secret and all. Were like ok ..sure we understand. We start asking his MOS and stuff like that ... Top secret..... ok....
one of the last questions was ok then who were your drill "seargants" ..he says he cant remember all of their names but he remembers one of their names.
We then immidiately began to verbally abuse the living hell out of him. . We must have called him every name in the book , all the meantime giving him the DI finger in his face. He got up looked stupid and walked right out the bar. Everyone in the bar looked at us like we were maniacs but we sure felt good calling this turd out.

bigdog43701
12-08-05, 07:43 PM
outlaw,

way to go. 35 years later i still remember all my di's names, ranks and mos. i still remember the series commander, my company, and battalion. i also remember the battalion and regimental commander. some things will always be converted to memory and those things are. (serial number for my m14-1554597) (my ser no 2675397) okay guys think about that one.

bob "ironman" vandyne
0341/0321
usmc 1970-1981

jryanjack
12-09-05, 06:39 AM
Honestly, I would have to think for a moment as to my DI's names - I had 5, and now that I do think about it there is one that I can't remember. I can tell you that he was dark green, short, and the meanest of them all!

I've never actually run into anyone who falsely claimed to be a Marine, but it would be fun to out them!

gwladgarwr
12-09-05, 07:59 AM
I was in an Irish bar (yeah, imagine that) in my blues, doing a Toys For Tots event. (No Irish or Sailor/Soldier/Marine jokes here please, thank you; it was for the kids, you know.) I'm standing at the bar, drinking a pint of Harp, and this suburban sea cow comes up to me (you could tell she was kinda sloshed) and says something about not being allowed to drink while wearing my blues. When I politely told her that not only did she not know what she was talking about, it was also one of the worst pick-up lines I've heard (I was drunk on the big load of toys we got that night, see.) She then goes on to tell me she's a Marine captain. I asked which OCS and TBS classes she was in, but she sorta hemmed and hawed. (1st indication, you think?)

So, I go, well, Captain, I will give you every opportunity to dress me down publicly (pun intended) about drinking in public while dressed in my...whaddayacallit it, [I]Captain[I], my dress blue bravos, if you can tell me the difference between the enlisted man's Eagle, Globe, and Anchor insignia and that of an officer. Oh, and recite all three stanzas of the Marine's Hymn...with me on stage for karaoke (it was karaoke night at the bar). Well, she sorta sputtered and said she "quit" a long time ago. Yeah, babe, I quit, too.:marine:

Funny, I always get some BS from females when in uniform and just about never from guys. I found out this one lady hated me, especially when I was uniform, because her ex-husband was a staff sergeant and she now hated all Marines.

Guess he didn't beat her enough at home (didn't I say that once before?):yes:

Wyoming
12-09-05, 08:56 AM
You Can't Fool a Marine?

Sure you can. Read the book, 'Stolen Valor'.

Sometimes it just takes a while to catch up with the wannabees.

One experience - stationed on the West Coast. Had returned from Vietnam in September and this was the 1st of the year.

I was working in a beer bar and a good looking lady came in. We talked, etc., etc., and after a couple of weeks, we ended up at her place. Dinner, etc. All of this led to other things. We ended up waking up the next morning, all cuddled up close. It was then that she asked it I had ever been this 'close' to a Marine officer.

Yep, she was a 2nd Lt. I could think of 3 things, stick around and possibly face some serious bad sheeit, OR, get the hell out of there, OR, ..... ? Papers, uniform, knowledge. The works. She was a 2nd Looey.

We talked, I stayed, and we saw each other on several, several, several occasions for about a year until she was transferred to Hawaii.

Never once did we 'go out' and she always wore 'civvies' from the base to her apartment.

Why me? She simply did not want a 'relationship' with an officer that would/could cause her pain and discomfort. I was available.

We kept in contact for several years. This was over 35 years ago and things died off.