PDA

View Full Version : Marines need life-saving bone marrow transplants

thedrifter
12-08-05, 11:05 AM
Marines need life-saving bone marrow transplants
MCB Camp Pendleton
Story by Cpl. Tom Sloan

MARINE CORPS BASE CAMP PENDLETON, Ca. (Dec. 8, 2005) -- With their lean physiques, short hair and confident demeanors, staff sergeants Emanuel Smith Jr. and Gustavo Aleman are like most of their camouflaged comrades, but with one difference.

These two Marines have cancer.

Smith and Aleman both suffer from leukemia, and both are in dire need of a bone marrow transplant.

Smith, who’s currently assigned to 3rd Civil Affairs Group as the personnel chief and resides in San Onofre Housing with his wife, Angela, and their four children, was diagnosed with the disease in May 2004.

“It really caught me off guard,” said Smith, who at the time was a sergeant working at the School of Infantry as the legal noncommissioned officer. “It was out of the blue.”

The 12-year-Marine from Decatur, Ga., found the bad news had a profound effect on his life.

“It brought me back to the church,” he said.

Prior to diagnosis, Smith was constantly fatigued and light-headed. Thinking it was only dehydration, he visited medical, where the staff thought his condition wasn’t severe and instructed him to hydrate.

“They just thought I was dehydrated too and told me to drink water and come back later,” he recalled.

Smith’s symptoms only worsened over time, and he was diagnosed with leukemia two weeks later.

“I’m not the type that gets sick easily,” Smith insisted. “I never get tired. Ask my wife, and she’ll tell you that when I do catch a cold, I’m over it in a couple of days.”

With true Marine tenacity, Smith pressed on in his career and didn’t let his illness slow him down.

He was promoted to staff sergeant in April and said the event was a combination of joy and sorrow. He was happy to be climbing the ladder of success and sad for being ill.

Smith has been undergoing chemotherapy at Balboa Naval Hospital in San Diego since his diagnosis. The chemo has caused him to lose weight and most of his hair, which he said, “is the best way to save money on haircuts.”

Despite the hardships, Smith remains optimistic that he’ll receive a bone marrow transplant and get better. He gets much of his strength from his wife, Angela.

“She’s been my cheerleader and my coach at the same time through it all,” he said. “She’s very supportive.”

Smith said he has a lot to live for, a family he loves very much and career in the Marine Corps.

“I need a bone marrow transplant, and I have faith that I’ll get one,” he said. “It may take time, but that’s where my wife and the church come into play.”

Smith isn’t battling the cancer solo.

Aleman, 31, of Houston, was diagnosed with leukemia while serving in Fallujah, Iraq in May.

“I had received orders to return to recruiting duty in Houston and was having my physical done when the doctors found something wrong with my blood,” recalled Aleman. “They said my blood was low and that I was in trouble. I knew I wasn’t feeling well, but I just thought the Iraq heat was making me feel tired. I felt really tired.”

Aleman had been a recruiter before and was looking forward to returning to the duty in his hometown.

The day wouldn’t come, though.

Within hours of conducting the physical and discovering Aleman’s condition, doctors had him transported to Baghdad and then to Landstuhl Regional Medical Center in Landstuhl, Germany. Once there, doctors told him he had the rare disease.

“I couldn’t believe the news,” he said.

Aleman said he considered himself a healthy person. He now finds himself seeking matches for a bone marrow transplant. His wife, Rosario, two sons, Miguel, 14, and Daniel, 4, nor anyone else in his family is a match.

“I haven’t been able to find a match yet,” said Aleman.

He remains confident, though, despite his potentially fatal illness.

“I’m sure we’ll find a match, eventually,” he said.

Aleman is currently the administrative chief for 3rd Battalion, Recruit Training Regiment, Marine Corps Recruit Depot San Diego. He lives in Vista with his wife and two sons and has been undergoing chemotherapy treatments since August at Balboa Naval Hospital in San Diego.

A match for the two Marines could be found during the Camp Pendleton Bone Marrow Donor Registration Drive scheduled for Tuesday to Thursday.

Lieutenant Col. Mike Bontell, coordinator of the Camp Pendleton Bone Marrow Donor Campaign, has high hopes for the drive.

“We have an opportunity to make a difference in our own world,” said Bontell. “By joining the donor registry, you could possibly save the life of our own. I challenge every Marine, sailor, civilian and (family member) to set aside the time, pick the most convenient date and location and show up. (Those suffering) need a miracle. During this Christmas season of giving, I urge you all to look deep into your heart and be their miracle.”

The drive will be held at the following locations from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.:

Sea Side Square San Onofre Exchange in the 52 Area and the Naval Hospital Tuesday.

Pacific Plaza Exchange in the 20 Area Wednesday.

Main Side Exchange Thursday.

Ellie