PDA

View Full Version : HML/A-269 Marine promoted by father, brother

thedrifter
12-06-05, 01:12 PM
HML/A-269 Marine promoted by father, brother
MCAS New River
Story by Lance Cpl. Brandon M. Gale

MARINE CORPS AIR STATION NEW RIVER, N.C. (Dec. 6, 2005) -- One Marine Light/Attack Helicopter Squadron-269 Marine’s Dec. 1 promotion ceremony was made even more special when he was surprised to find he would be pinned with his new chevrons by his father and brother, both active duty Marines.

Lance Cpl. Joseph B. Charboneau, HML/A-269 flightline mechanic, learned only moments before the ceremony that his father, Maj. Peter D. Charboneau, Sr., Marine Corps Combat Development Command force protection integration division branch head, and his brother Cpl. Peter D. Charboneau, Jr., Brig Co. corrections officer, Headquarters and Support Bn., Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune, would be present to pin him. The goal was to continue a tradition that started when the brothers graduated together from the same platoon after recruit training.

“They actually lived in the same squad bay on (Marine Corps Recruit Depot) Parris Island that I worked in when I was a senior drill instructor,” said Peter, Sr., who was previously enlisted. “I was able to get down there and pin on their (eagle, globe and anchor). I knew then that I wanted it to become a tradition we could hopefully continue.”

According to Peter, Jr., the two brothers went everywhere together as they were growing up, but when Peter decided to join the Marine Corps, he worried that Joseph wouldn’t be by his side any longer.

“I told him it would be a good idea if we joined together,” he said. “I had to wait for him. He was younger than me, so I was in the delayed entry program for quite a while, but we shipped out together. I thought it would be the best thing for both of us and for my dad.”

Peter, Sr., said he felt it was important to make the six-hour drive from Quantico, Va., because he wanted to pass on the same advice to his son that he heard when he was promoted to corporal in 1984.

“Picking up corporal is the real first step in leadership,” he said. “When I was pinned, I was told that with the rank would come added responsibility. I was given a challenge to lead my Marines and I’ve never forgotten that, so that’s what I told my son today. I told him, ‘I challenge you to lead your Marines and never let them down.’”

Joseph said having his father and brother pin him was an awesome experience, especially since it was a surprise, and that he felt fortunate to have them so close.

“Before Dad went to Quantico, he was stationed at (Marine Corps Air Station) Cherry Point and my brother is just over at Lejeune,” he said. “It was always nice to be near them.”

As close as the family is, sharing events like promotion ceremonies can only make their bonds stronger, said Peter, Jr.

“When we’re sitting around together years from now, we’ll be able to look back on the things we did,” he said. “The Marine Corps is like a family anyway, and if we can keep doing things like this, it will bring us closer to each other.”

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/2005126114018/$file/02low.jpg

Major Peter D. Charboneau is flanked by his sons, Cpls. Joseph (left) and Peter, Jr. (right). Joseph was promoted by his family.
Photo by: Lance Cpl. Brandon M. Gale

Ellie

GySgtRet
12-06-05, 04:00 PM
Ellie,

What a great story instead of all of the other stuff.

Thank you...!!!