PDA

View Full Version : Protest set for funeral of Marine

thedrifter
12-06-05, 06:10 AM
Protest set for funeral of Marine
By Tim Waldorf
staff writer

From all accounts, 19-year-old Lance Cpl. Adam Kaiser lived a quiet life before he was killed serving with the Marines in Iraq.

His funeral service, however, may not be that quiet.

A church group that protests funerals of soldiers killed in Iraq with signs that read God Hates America± and Thank God for Dead Soldiers± plans to be there.

Shirley Phelps-Roper, the attorney for Westboro Baptist Church of Topeka, Kan., said a group from the church intends to protest at both Kaiser's funeral and the funeral of Byron resident Lance Cpl. Andrew Patten, 19, who was also killed in Thursday's blast in Fallujah. The group has already protested about a dozen funerals in Illinois.

Fred Phelps, Westboro's pastor, said soldiers' deaths are God's way of punishing America for its "acceptance of homosexuality.

Wade Kaiser, Adam's father, said he heard of the group about two weeks ago, and after his son's death, was told by the Marines to prepare for their presence.

Wade said he thinks it is sad that the group wants to do this, but he supports their right to do it.

"But I think it will show a lot of people what these people are all about," Wade said. "I think it should be an embarrassment to them, and it does nothing to help their cause."

Naperville Police Sgt. Joel Truemper said the department is aware of the possibility that the Westboro group may protest at Kaiser's funeral. He said Naperville police already planned to have a presence at the service, just as they have for the other funerals of Naperville soldiers recently killed in combat.

At past funeral services, police have worked with funeral homes and churches to protect mourners' privacy by asking unwanted parties to leave the property.

Illinois Lt. Gov. Pat Quinn is proposing a new law that would prohibit protests within 300 feet of any military funeral.

"To have these vile signs and epithets hurled at any family and any funeral is wrong," Quinn told the Chicago Sun-Times. "We should respect the right of any family to grieve and bury their dead with reverence."

Phelps said such a law would be unconstitutional, but Quinn said the U.S. Supreme Court has allowed the type of restrictions he is proposing.

Tim Waldorf
12/06/05

Ellie

thedrifter
12-06-05, 06:13 AM
Friends recall fallen Marine
By Tim Waldorf
STAFF WRITER

The flag at Naperville Central High School flew at half-staff Monday in honor of the school's second graduate to die serving in the war in Iraq.

Lance Cpl. Adam Wade Kaiser, 19, was one of 10 Marines killed Thursday in the deadliest attack on American troops in Iraq in the past four months.

Kaiser, a 2004 Central graduate, joined the Marines in October 2004 and left for Iraq to serve as a rifleman in July. On Thursday, a roadside bomb exploded while his unit was on a foot patrol near Fallujah.

Kaiser was known at home and around Central as a quiet kid with an intense focus on his goals.

David Kalal, a driver-education teacher at Central, had Kaiser as a student when he was a sophomore.

"He was a very quiet kid, but was one of those kids you loved to have in class," Kalal said.

"He showed up every day, and he was always on time. He never gave you any trouble. He never stirred the pot, so to speak.

"You could tell he was a very focused individual.

He was kind of one of those kids who had a goal in life and was focused on getting it done."
Kaiser kept a small but close group of friends, Kalal said, and he "didn't get caught up in high school."

Erik Abderhalden was one of those friends. The two met in the fourth grade at Meadow Glens Elementary School, attended Madison Junior High School and Naperville Central together, and graduated in 2004. That was the last time Abderhalden recalled seeing Kaiser.

The Adam Kaiser that Abderhalden knew was not as quiet as most people remember him. Abderhalden, now a sophomore at Illinois State University, recalled the crazy stories Kaiser would tell about the rabbits his family kept as pets, and the concoctions he'd make while playing with his lunch in junior high.

"Around friends, he was a nice guy and always had something to say," Abderhalden said. "He was really funny. If you knew him, he'd be doing jokes right and left."

It was no surprise when Kaiser decided in his senior year that he would join the Marines, Abderhalden said. That was his longtime goal.

"He had goals, and he achieved them," Abderhalden said.

Funeral services for Kaiser will be at 10 a.m. Friday at Beidelman-Kunsch Funeral Home, 2401 W. Royal Worlington Drive. Interment will be at Abraham Lincoln National Cemetery in Elwood. Visitation will take place from 2 p.m. to 8 p.m. Thursday at the funeral home.

He is survived by his parents, Wade and Christine, both of Romeoville; a sister, Sarah; and a twin sister, Amanda.
12/06/05

Ellie

rb1651
12-06-05, 08:39 AM
This just steams the **** out of me. I plan on attending LCpl Andrew Patten's service here in Rockford. I have put the word out to our local VFW, American Legion, and F.O.E. about these a**holes coming. We will be at the service and make sure that these f*****s are not seen by family and friends. I already have six motor homes lined up, (and hopefully more) which we will use to block them from view.

I will let you know how it turns out. (Hopefully without having to post bail to do so!!)

Ron

gwladgarwr
12-06-05, 10:32 AM
This just steams the **** out of me. I plan on attending LCpl Andrew Patten's service here in Rockford. I have put the word out to our local VFW, American Legion, and F.O.E. about these a**holes coming. We will be at the service and make sure that these f*****s are not seen by family and friends. I already have six motor homes lined up, (and hopefully more) which we will use to block them from view.

I will let you know how it turns out. (Hopefully without having to post bail to do so!!)

Ron

Where do I send a donation to the bail fund?

Hmm, let's see: homosexuality and a funeral for a Marine KIA are connected...how? Westboro is a cult run by a clinically-insane man and his family, and he actually has followers. And I thought I had problems. This is truly, truly sad.

GySgtRet
12-06-05, 11:11 AM
rb1651,

I would definately have to back you on your RVs to block these SOBS. This Marine and other like him have paid the ultimate scarifice to **HOLES like this group. If there is a collection needed as gwladgarwr has mentioned just give us an address. I hope that it won't come to this.

outlaw3179
12-06-05, 11:24 AM
Hey Marines , just let me know where and what time. Nobody disrespects one of our brothers like that.

Semper Fi

sgt.r.n.davis
12-06-05, 08:34 PM
When ,we Always Knew The Enemy Was Coming, We Always Set Up AN Ambush...just Close Down Their Entry Route And Have A Face Off...
These People Are Not HumanS They Are Low Life Scumballs...

CAR
12-06-05, 08:55 PM
These freaks need to have "louisville slugger" stamped on the side of their heads ................. I just happen to have the bat to do it with to.

MAN that p*sses me off........ :mad:

thomas bruce
12-06-05, 11:15 PM
The same kinda crap is going on here! In my home town of Virden, Il those idiots from Kansas are planning to protest a memorial service for a young man who was killed in Iraq. Granted he was in the Army, But none the less...He died for his country in the line of duty.

The mayor has headed up the service and alot of people are pitching in to make sure things are done right. The service is this Saturday Dec 10.

I understand alot of people don't believe in the politics and what not involved with our troops being deployed in Iraq, but DAMMIT support the troops. Sometimes thats all that keeps them going.

Those so called citizens from Kansas should be ashamed of themselves.

Semper Fi,
T.J. Bruce

greensideout
12-06-05, 11:43 PM
Ellie. why would post a thread like that?

greensideout
12-06-05, 11:54 PM
I understand alot of people don't believe in the politics and what not involved with our troops being deployed in Iraq, but DAMMIT support the troops. Sometimes thats all that keeps them going.

We, at least me did not give a thought or give a sh*t as to what people back home thought about anything. Have to disagree on that.

Semper Fi,
GSO

greensideout
12-07-05, 12:07 AM
Where do I send a donation to the bail fund?

Hmm, let's see: homosexuality and a funeral for a Marine KIA are connected...how? Westboro is a cult run by a clinically-insane man and his family, and he actually has followers. And I thought I had problems. This is truly, truly sad.

How do you know that is true? "clinically-insane man"?

hrscowboy
12-07-05, 12:46 AM
This same nut case protested a funeral at Leavenworth National Cemetary and got the shock of his life when 200 of our Veteran brothers on harleys met him at the gate and pushed him back across the street. Everytime he would start to talk on his blow horn the guys would rev up there harleys to cut him out, and it worked he got mad and left. His followers are nothing but his own family members and maybe a few straglers.. Buttom line is all he is doing is getting press attention and ****ing alot of people off where its about to back fire on him and someone is going to hurt him seriously..

hrscowboy
12-07-05, 12:57 AM
Right after that incident leavenworth city council brought out a city Ord that all protest rallys must have a permit to protest inside the city limits of leavenworth. You must apply to the Chief of Police and there is fee for that permit. The permit must be approved by the chief of police and the party that applies for the permit must give the chief of police a 3 week notice before the protest can occur. Anyone protesting without a permit is subject to a 1,000 fine and 30 days in jail.

thedrifter
12-08-05, 07:19 PM
Published: December 8, 2005
Local News: Rockford
Protests possible at Marine’s funeral
The lieutenant governor proposes legislation to stop such events.
By MELISSA WESTPHAL, Rockford Register Star

ROCKFORD — Members of a Kansas-based group that says military deaths in Iraq are a punishment from God have contacted local officials about demonstrating at the funeral for Lance Cpl. Andrew Patten, a Byron Marine killed last week.

Members of the Westboro Baptist Church of Topeka, Kan., started regularly protesting at military funerals this summer. According to their Web site, they believe America is doomed and God is killing military men and women, as well as causing major disasters such as Hurricane Katrina and Sept. 11, as a denouncement of homosexuality. The protests have had nothing to do with the sexuality of fallen military personnel.

Police, church, funeral home and state officials have worked during the past few days to eliminate disruptions the protests might cause for grieving friends and family members. Lt. Gov. Pat Quinn, who has attended more than 100 military funerals during the past few years, plans to attend Patten’s service.

Quinn is proposing legislation that would keep protestors 300 feet from funeral services. He saw many protests firsthand this year organized by the Rev. Fred Phelps, the Westboro leader.

“Their sole purpose is to inflict pain on grieving parents, and it’s really very cruel,” Quinn said.

“My view in terms of the law is that families are exercising their First Amendment rights to conduct a funeral, their freedom of religion to lay their son or daughter to final rest.

“The First Amendment does not give unfettered rights to a hate group to interfere with or harass participants in a funeral.”

Westboro members have protested numerous military funerals, which they dub “Love Crusades,” across the country, and the group keeps an updated schedule of their efforts on their Web site. The group typically includes about a dozen people, most of whom are Phelps’ family members, who chant and hold signs that read “Thank God for Dead Soldiers” and “Don’t Worship the Dead” outside funeral homes and churches.

State officials and local police say the group has been in contact with local authorities, inquiring about protesting procedures for the city. Patten’s funeral will be at Maywood Evangelical Free Church in Rockford, but the time and date have not been finalized. Patten’s funeral is not listed on the Westboro Web site, but funerals on Saturday for military personnel in suburban Beach Park and downstate Virden are listed.

Rockford Deputy Chief Greg Lindmark said Westboro members did contact the Police Department.

“At this point, they’re unsure if they’re even going to come to Rockford, but we have spoken about what they can and cannot do, and they will be in contact with us if they do decide to come here,” Lindmark said.

Maywood administrative Pastor Larry Seagren said the groups have done “due diligence” in preparing for Patten’s services. Patten, 19, was a faithful member of Maywood, where he met several of his close friends. His fellow Marines had even nicknamed him “the Rev.”

“It’s unfortunate that they use this venue to protest when we’re talking about a young man who is a hero and leaving a legacy of being a great young man who fought for God and his country,” Seagren said.

Shirley Roper-Phelps, a member of and attorney for Westboro, said group members do plan to protest in Rockford if their schedules allow them to be here. She said her family has been protesting and spreading the literal word of scripture for 15 years.

“We’ve been to in excess of 60 of these funerals,” Roper-Phelps said. “First it was one or two a week, now it seems like every other day.

“God is punishing this nation. Our forum of choice must be these funerals if we are going to cause Americans to know their abomination. We have to be timely and topical.”

In Galesburg, a group of college students stood silently in front of Westboro protestors. At protests in Kansas, veterans with a group called Patriot Guard lined up their motorcycles in front of the protestors, sometimes revving their engines to drown out their chants.

Jason Wallin, a spokesman for Patriot Guard, said the group is talking to Patten’s family contacts, adding that riders only participate in the services at the request of the military families. The group includes a growing membership of about 1,700 people across 47 states.

“Our focus is partially to combat (Phelps’) group and honor our fallen,” Wallin said.

Quinn said he can’t think of a “lower thing than spewing hate and vile epithets” trying to disrupt a military person being laid to rest. He hopes his proposed legislation will see some movement early next year.

“Every funeral is special and different,” Quinn said. “These are the last moments a family has to say goodbye to their loved one. It’s been very impressive to see these families and understand why our young service members are so special. They have servants’ hearts. Many of them got their values from their families.”

Ellie

rb1651
12-09-05, 08:59 AM
LCpl Andrew Patten's visitation is set for Sunday December 11th from 2 to 8 p.m., and his funeral service is Monday at 10:30 a.m. Just to let everyone know, I will be at both for the duration along with many veterans in the area to make sure the freaks don't get in the way. There is also going to be a contingent of local police, state police, and county sherrif's there. Rest easy, Marines, WE WILL NOT ALLOW THESE A******S GET ONE WORD IN!!!

For those of you in the D.C. area, he will be buried at Arlington National Cemetary on Wednesday at 10:00.

Rest in Peace, Brother.

Ron

gwladgarwr
12-09-05, 09:27 AM
Since I work right up the road in Herndon from Arlington, I wouldn't mind being there for the funeral, but I'm not sure I'd be invited since I'm not a relative or anything. I don't want to just show up like Fred Phelps or anything and go like, "Hey, what's up?"

I can make a donation or something to a memorial fund if I don't attend the Arlington ceremony. Any guidance? Thanks.

gwladgarwr (Cpl Race):marine:

horselady
12-09-05, 09:56 AM
I am a member of a board that &quot;actively&quot; protests Liberal demonstrations, <br />
especially anti-war/anti-military type protests. Don't know if they have anyone in the Kansas area but I'm sure they'd love...

horselady
12-09-05, 10:04 AM
Oops! Cannot get the edit function to work.

Sorry I must've missed seeing where you posted the date
and time of the funeral. I realize Rockport is not in Kansas,
but what state is it in?

Sorry for replying too quickly.

rb1651
12-09-05, 10:08 AM
Posted today in the Rockford Register Star.

BYRON - Funeral for Lance Cpl. Andrew G. Patten, of Byron is scheduled for 10:30 a.m. Monday, Dec. 12 in Maywood Evangelical Free Church, 3621 Samuelson Road, Rockford. Visitation from 2 to 8 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 11, also in Maywood Evangelical Free Church. In Lieu of flowers, please address memorials to the Andrew G. Patten Memorial Fund established at Byron Bank, 200 N. Walnut, Byron, IL 61010. Arrangements by Fred C. Olson Funeral Chapels Ltd., East Chapel, 1001 Second Ave. For more information or to send a condolence, visit www.olsonfh.com.

Ron

horselady
12-09-05, 04:10 PM
Posted today in the Rockford Register Star.

BYRON - Funeral for Lance Cpl. Andrew G. Patten, of Byron is scheduled for 10:30 a.m. Monday, Dec. 12 in Maywood Evangelical Free Church, 3621 Samuelson Road, Rockford. Visitation from 2 to 8 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 11, also in Maywood Evangelical Free Church. In Lieu of flowers, please address memorials to the Andrew G. Patten Memorial Fund established at Byron Bank, 200 N. Walnut, Byron, IL 61010. Arrangements by Fred C. Olson Funeral Chapels Ltd., East Chapel, 1001 Second Ave. For more information or to send a condolence, visit www.olsonfh.com.

Ron

Thank you very much.

rb1651
12-09-05, 11:40 PM
You're welcome, horselady.

I do have one favor to ask, however, please contact the funeral home before you invite a counter protest, so that they can contact the family and get their approval. This is what I did before I made my calls asking for veteran support. These days of remembrance are for the family of our fallen Brother, not a political platform for others. (Please don't think that I don't agree with what you want to do, just make sure that it is okay with them.)

I would also like to say THANK YOU to everyone one who has posted on this and viewed this. Although I have not directly spoken to LCpl Patten's family, I have let them know about the support that they are receiving from the members of Leatherneck.com via my posting at his memorial site.

God Bless all.

Semper Fi.

Ron

(P.S.) I will post these f*****s license plate number and what type of vehicle they drive on this site, if they do decide to show up!!!! Not suggesting anything, just a general FYI in case they come to your area. (Hint, Hint)

hrscowboy
12-10-05, 02:05 AM
I have been watching this fool here in Kansas, We are hoping he screws up big time..

rb1651
12-12-05, 01:22 PM
GOOD NEWS. The idiots from Kansas did not show up at the funeral today. I was there, and the Marine and veterans support was outstanding, as well as that from our local law enforcement agencies. A sad day, but one that was afforded the dignity and respect that our fellow Marine and his family deserved.

Semper Fi

Ron
By Mark Bonne, Rockford Register Star

ROCKFORD - Mourners filled Maywood Evangelical Church to pay their final respects to Lance Cpl. Andrew Patten - friends, family, dignitaries and strangers.

"He was one of the best guys ever. He grew up in this church, everybody knew him, and everybody loved him," said Anita Rogers, a friend of Patten's father. "What gives me hope is that Andy belongs to Jesus. This is not the end of Andy; it is the end of his earthly life."

Funeral services, which began at 10:30 a.m., included U.S. respresentative Don Manzullo, Lt. Governor Pat Quinn, Rockford Maor Larry Morrissey, and Byron School District Superintendent Marge Fostiak.

The 19-year-old from Byron was killed Dec.1, in Fallujah, Iraq, alongside nine others when a roadside bomb exploded. It was the second-worst attack on U.S. troops since the Iraq war began.

More than a dozen veterans and civilians stood outside the church in the crisp-but-sunny December in the event that protestors attended as has happened at other military funerals. The Rockford Register Star learned that members of the Westboro Baptisit Church of Topeka, Kan. considered protesting the service today. They did not show.

"We're here to show our allegiance and gratitude. It's their right to protest, but this is the wrong place and time," said Patrick Sankey, commander of the Carlson American Legion Post on Broadway in Rockford.

Joy Cutsforth, a member of the Legion's Auxilitary, waited in the church lobby for the service to start wearing a white sweater with a large American flag corcheted on the front.

"I don't think this war should be going on. I don't see why people have to get killed all the time for nothing," Cutsforth said.

Watch for further updates of the ceremony today on rrstar.com and expanded print in Tuesday's Register Star.

sgtrock1970
12-12-05, 02:11 PM
Most if the recent Military funerals in my area that Phelps and his ilk have shown up at were met by various military veterans groups ( VFW, American Legion, Rolling Thunder etc)that stood directly accross the street from the *******s and phyiscally shielded the mourning family from them. The Veterans, although I'm sure they wanted to tear their heads off, stood passively facing the protesters and didn't descend to Phelps level of depravity. This guy and his group are a bunch of nutcases who would like nothing more than to get the crap kicked out of themselves so they can make the national news. His church only consists of his family members anymore, everybody else has quit but remember the message he's preaching has nothing to do with God's word it's just a message of hate and attempting to bring recognition to his little bunch of dumbasses.

yellowwing
12-12-05, 02:15 PM
Good to hear rb1651! :thumbup:

Catz1611
12-12-05, 05:22 PM
These people make me SOmad! :mad: :mad:

I don't know if anyone will care but I wanted to let folks know that "Westborob Baptist" is a CALVINIST church which holds to the Doctrines of John Calvin.

Please don't Think that all churches that have the name "Baptist" in them are like these individuals or have the same doctrine or support what they are doing..

fmillst
12-12-05, 07:25 PM
This makes me pi**ed, I am reminded of 1969 and going home on
convalesent leave. In uniform of the day, with dressings and scars.

I know that many of the Iraqi people NEED to stand up, but WE can
help them, and I hope that we have the time and determination to do
so.

Bring these people my way,please.:rambo: