PDA

View Full Version : Sunday vist with L/Cpl Shawn Seeley

JAMarine
12-04-05, 11:26 PM
Hello all and please allow me to share the visit I had today with L/Cpl Shawn Seeley and Family.

I've awaited this chance for some time. Visits to the injured are always ackward at first for me but this time was different. I've know Shawn here on this web site for more than a year now.

As I stepped into the door I was welcomed by his Father, Charles and his Mother Robin. As I scanned the room I noticed Amanda coming out of a door halfway down the hall pulling Shawn in his wheelchair into the hallway. As he was turned toward the living room and saw me I don't believe I've ever seen a bigger smile on any mans face. I can't express the feeling I had at that moment. The feeling of relief knowing he was alive and OK, the true Blessing it is to have him home with his Family and what a humbling experience for me to be in the presence of such a Young Warrior that has been done and seen so much in such a short period of time.

We talked about his present condition and the plans for the immediate future. He showed me all (or most of) his scars and told me of his injuries. He told me of how he hopes to be able to be of use to the Corps at least to finish out his 4 years.
He told me the stories of the people who have visited him in MD. and the gifts he has received. At one point Charles got up and went into the dinning room and brought back and showed me the "Iwo Jima Sand" given to Shawn by MarineMom. He told me of when his Marine Corps Colors arrived from Leatherneck and how proud he was eventhough he was in so much pain. Robin and Amanda laughed about how they had to balance to mount the Flag on the devider curtain and eventually onto the window curtain and how the sunlight coming through hallowed the room with color.

Then I asked him THE QUESTION. Exactly what happened. He started from the beginning and took me step by step through his ordeal. Everything from having a disagreement with an Army Soldier (not moving the Soldiers vehicle), to having to detour around them and having to move down adjacent streets attempting to get where they were suppose to be, to starting down a deserted dusty sideroad. Shawn told me he knew from the moment his vehicle started down that road something was going to happen. He told me instantly he hunkered down low in his turret position. Most may not know this and I am not going to tell the story (I hope Shawn with put that into his own words on this site someday) but Shawn actually lived through not only 1 IED Explosion that day,,,,, he lived through 3 separte ones. He also told me a story about Doc Randall.

All I have to say is; "What a Story". & "Where do Young Warriors like this come from"?

It was an honor for me to spend time with L/Cpl Seeley today. The visit brought a rededication of myself to help others in my daily life as well as at this site. As far as I'm concerned Shawn Seeley has secured his place in History as one of this Nations most respected and one of the greatest Warriors to have taken the Battlefield for this Great Country. He is a Hallmark of our Corps legacy.

I understand that Shawn may be released from the Hospital here in the Puget Sound by the end of the week. This will mean he will be on convalescent leave at home for a period of time. I look forward to getting together with him again and again real soon.

Thanks
rich

SgtIntensity
12-04-05, 11:45 PM
Thank you for sharing this story. I am humbled by this LCpl's sacrifice.

LCpl Seeley thank you for your dedication to duty!

CHOPPER7199
12-05-05, 12:40 AM
Thanks for the info Rich, I talked to him a few days back and he sure has moto. I hear he is going home on the 8th, so sure sounds good for all. Gee I wonder if he will get to like home cooking again? Ha the weight gain will be going up. GOD BLESS ALL.

Roulette
12-05-05, 03:00 AM
Thank You Rich,
your visit with Shawn and his family makes me Proud.

MillRatUSMC
12-05-05, 04:29 AM
I'm can only echo what's been said, Thanks Rich

marinemom
12-05-05, 05:28 AM
Outstanding, Richard!

Shawn had the will to progress and to succeed in anything he chooses to do after his time in the Corps - he is an amazing young man. I am glad to hear that he is doing so well, but not the least bit surprised.

When he comes back to Bethesda for his follow-ups, Ed, Ken and I are kidnapping him for dinner one night....maybe we can take some pics then.

GySgtRet
12-05-05, 06:15 AM
Rich,

Thank you very much for your rendering of your visit with LCpl Seeley. I had the pleasure of being with him and some of his family at Bethesda on three occations. And as you put it it was an akward first visit. But that soon was replaced by awe...!!! Like marinemom said. When LCpl Seeley gets back to Bethesda in January there will be three of us kidnapping him to take him out. (For those who want political correctness) we aren't rerally going to kidnap him.

:marine:

hrscowboy
12-05-05, 06:25 AM
oooooooooooooooorahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hell yes kidnap that young man and his momma and daddy and the love of his life..

Osotogary
12-05-05, 06:58 AM
The description of your visit with LCpl. Seeley was masterful. You made this reader feel like he was there.
Thank you.

rb1651
12-05-05, 08:01 AM
As everyone else has said, Rich, thanks for the info. He is an inspiration to all of us.

Ron

OLE SARG
12-05-05, 08:42 AM
I'll just echo all the previous posts and just simply say, "Thanks Rich".

Reading these posts really started my week out great!!

SEMPER FI,

JAMarine
12-05-05, 11:17 AM
I'm sorry I didn't get these pictures in last night with the original post. I'm new at this and the frustration led me to bed. With clearer eyes and a determination I got em in here eventhough they are somewhat different sizes. And for those who don't know,,,,, L/Cpl Seeley is the Good Looking, Young one in the pictures. Don't let the lack of hair fool ya. LOL

I'm so very Proud of you Shawn. Young man, you keep fighting and you'll come out of this with a new and wonderful life. And I'll be right here anytime you need ANYTHING.

rich

GySgtRet
12-05-05, 11:57 AM
Rich and LCpl Seeley,

Glad to see you both. This is the beginning of a good squad. LCpl Seeley looks a lot better than when I last saw him at Bethesda.

CHOPPER7199
12-05-05, 12:04 PM
Great pics. Rich, glad to hear you are learning to do that pic. thing, I'm still goofing it up, must be a brain gap I have at certain things. Keep them coming. God Bless all.

yellowwing
12-05-05, 12:13 PM
Thank you Rich for an outstanding report and pictures! It motivated me to try to express the Esprit de Corps that has spanned generations of Marines everywhere.

For you L/Cpl Shawn Seeley!

http://www.ywg-web.com/images/jam-seeley.jpg

Background image of Iwo Jima Memorial borrowed from HudsonPhoto.com

rb1651
12-05-05, 12:27 PM
Rich, great pictures. Thanks again.

yellowwing, that is just awesome!!!!

Ron

Osotogary
12-05-05, 12:55 PM
Please don't be offended but you two make a wonderful pair. Good bearing and handsome to boot.
Excellent photograph. I can't tell you how good it is to see the progress that has been made. Wonderful photograph. It made my day.
Thanks to all.

captken
12-05-05, 01:28 PM
Terrific! I'd be proud to be part of that kidnapping anyday!

My thanks not only to Shawn and his loved ones for their sacrifice but to all of you Marines. I can't begin to tell you how much being able to share these experiences means to me.

I teach 16-17 year olds in our Sunday School. Several weeks ago I told them about Shawn and Doc. A couple of the kids said they wanted to visit the troops in the hospital. I didn't think they really would. But Saturday they put 15 get well baloons in the trunk of their car, got a fist full of Christmas/Thank you cards and a plant for the staff and headed to Walter Reed.

Their feedback yesterday in class nearly choked me up. They obviously were good kids to begin with to do this, but they came out of that hospital different than when they went in. Especially the girl. She looked me square in the eye when she talked to me yesterday and seemed so much more mature. I think we'll have Shawn's and Doc's for many generations to come.

Thanks Marines!

JAMarine
12-05-05, 02:15 PM
Outstanding layover Marine. I've got to talk to you about setting up a signature logo for the JAM.

Semper Fi Marine.

rsta
12-05-05, 04:06 PM
Rich, thanks for the posts on Shawn. Like all here have said, you did a great job on this update.

Bob