PDA

View Full Version : Art honors the Corps' fallen warriors

thedrifter
12-04-05, 06:24 AM
Art honors the Corps' fallen warriors
By Linda McIntosh
UNION-TRIBUNE COMMUNITY NEWS WRITER

December 3, 2005

CAMP PENDLETON – Al Davis sometimes works for days without letup on his art, sleeping only when the work is done.

"It takes a lot out of me, he says of the artwork that honors Marines who have died in Operation Iraqi Freedom.

"Every time a kid dies, it's like (losing) one of my family," said Davis, who served served 10 years in the Corps, including a tour in Vietnam.

Davis, a disabled veteran, is set on honoring those who have made the ultimate sacrifice in service to their country.

"I want people to understand the great price we're paying for freedom," he said.

Last month, in time for the 230th birthday of the Marine Corps on Nov. 10, Davis released eight limited-edition prints of his work. They are on display at Frame Designs & Gallery in Oceanside and on his Web site, www.fallenwarriorscards.com.

"You can tell this means a lot to him and (that) he takes it to heart," gallery owner Jeanine Ferry said.

Davis doesn't know how he gets the ideas for his art, he just knows it is something he has to do.

One of the prints dedicated to the casualties of Operation Iraqi Freedom has the words, "We shall never forget."

In the four corners of the artwork are the Statue of Liberty, a Marine jet and helicopter and the Corps' mascot, a bulldog. In the center, set against the backdrop of the U.S. flag, are some campaign ribbons and the word "honor" above the Marine Corps emblem.

The idea for the piece came to him when he heard the sister of a Marine killed in Iraq say she hoped people would not forget her brother.

"I have to grab the idea when it comes to me, and then it takes on a life of its own," said Davis, 57. "I have no idea how its going to end up."

He has been working on the limited-edition pieces for several years and has done other prints since the late 1990s honoring Marines and world leaders, such as President Bush and Prime Minister Tony Blair of England.

He has a letter from former First Lady Barbara Bush, thanking him for the artwork he sent to the Bush family.

Davis has been using his own money to fund the work and hopes proceeds from the sale of prints will offset the cost of making them and running his fallen warriors Web site.

"I just have to do this," he said. "I want people to remember."

The prints sell for $49.95 framed or $12.95 unframed.

For more information, visit Frame Designs & Gallery, 2515 W. Vista Way, Oceanside; fallenwarriorscards.com; or call (760) 439-2200.

Ellie