PDA

View Full Version : Marines, families gather before first leg of journey

thedrifter
12-04-05, 05:25 AM
Marines, families gather before first leg of journey
By RUSS CHOMA
Union Leader Correspondent

Londonderry — Standing in front of the men of Bravo Company, First Battalion, 25th Marines, and hundreds of their family members, Lt. Col. Chris Landrau spoke very plainly about what the next year would be like. “This is going to the most challenging year for your loved ones,” he told the crowd.

The company, based in Londonderry at the Armed Forces Reserve Center, was activated for duty on Wednesday and left for the first leg of their overseas deployment yesterday. After short stops for training in New Jersey and California, the company will head to Iraq — the Fallujah area — in March.

But Landrau also had reassuring words. The men will be trained fully, equipped fully and supported fully from back home, and so will the families. Families should not fret that their loved one will go into battle without proper equipment and training, Landrau told the crowd, and the deployment will not be extended.

“It is for seven months, there is no threat of that going to one year,” he said.

Landrau was speaking at Family Day at the center, during a presentation designed to ensure families of Marines are aware of everything they need to know. Other officers from the battalion spoke, including the chaplain who briefly counseled on how to handle the emotions of seeing a family member deployed.

Also on hand were representatives from the Key Volunteer Network, a program consisting of volunteers who provide communications to family members, and the state’s committee for Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve.

Ernest F. Loomis, ESGR state chairman, the purpose of the day was to help families be behind their Marine during the tough months ahead and to reassure them the resources are there to support both the Marines and their loved ones.

“They’ll be the ones back home taking care of the money issues and the employment issues,” he said. “They’ll be the ones holding down the home front.”

To help bolster spirits, a representative of Gov. John Lynch presented the company with a New Hampshire state flag, and Rep. Jeb Bradley delivered a message of support.

“I’m here to salute your courage, your valor,” he said. “We pray for your success and your safe return.”

Included in the crowd were Lance Cpl. Peter Boisvert, 20, of Nashua, and his mother Kristine Boisvert. Kristine said this is the first time she’s had a family member activated or deployed, and admits she is nervous about her son going to Iraq.

“I’m a nervous type of person,” she said. “What really made me feel better is hearing that they will be fully trained before they go. That’s a big plus.”

Lance Cpl. Boisvert said the longest he has ever been away from home is the 19 weeks of boot camp and infantry school, but knowing he’ll be surrounded by fellow Marines makes it easier.

“The fact that we’ll have these Marines here makes me the most confident Marine I can be,” he said.

Ellie