PDA

View Full Version : Marines storm Monopoly streets

thedrifter
12-01-05, 12:45 PM
Marines storm Monopoly streets
MCB Camp Pendleton
Story by Lance Cpl. Ray Lewis

MARINE CORPS BASE CAMP PENDLETON, Calif. (Dec.1, 2005) -- Marines can be seen on the big screen, the TV screen and now their boots can be seen patrolling the properties of Monopoly: United States Marines Edition.

Thanks to USAopoly's product development team, which comprised of two former Marines, a product manager and graphic design team, working closely with the U.S. Marine Corps Motion Picture & TV Liason Office in Los Angeles, made one former Marines dream a reality.

“ From the very beginning I was pushing the game to our marketing department,” said former Marine Paul May director of production at USAopoly.

The game features all the classic Monopoly themes with a new ‘twist'.
Original pewter tokens are replaced with 6 collectible pewter tokens of an Assault Amphibian Vehicle, HMMWV, AV-8B Harrier II, Helmet, Boots, and USMC Initials.

“I modeled the boots and helmet (tokens) after a Camp Pendleton Marine’s boots and helmet,” May said. “And made had an AAV as one of the tokens because I was an am tracker”.

“When the Navy version came out in 1998 I knew we had to have a Marine Corps version,” May recalled. “ So Lt. Col. Becker and I came up with a prototype … but it just wasn’t the time”.

The tokens aren’t the only change though; the whole imagery was changed from box top to the game’s board.
Marine Corps Silent Drill Team serves for a non-traditional box top, while images of Marines in action with both ground and air support boasts the board’s center.

Board properties were also changed to fit the Marine Corps theme.

Game players can acquire gear and equipment instead of the usual streets and railroads.

Even the monopoly money was laundered. Mr. monopoly is dressed in military fatigues on all denominations.

The houses are gold and called Battalions and the hotels are red and named Regiments.
A brief description of the game’s differences and similarities is also included within the package.

The game is available at U.S. Marine Corps, Navy exchanges and select stores nationwide, just in time for the holidays.

“Any Marine past or present would be proud to get one of these games,” May said.

"USAopoly is pleased to pay tribute to the men and women of the U.S. Marine Corps who have served our country so loyally and gallantly throughout our nation's history," said Heather Cambpell, Senior Director, corporate communications.

Ellie

mrbsox
12-01-05, 12:54 PM
Got 2...
... well almost !!

Once mentioned it to the C.O., then saw one at a U.S. Cav outlet and bought it.
Then saw a package come in from 'games.com', and confirmed with step-daughter that SANTA was coming to town.

No way can I tell the C.O. she was late to the punch, so...
I GOT 2 :banana: (and intend to keep 1 in the plastic)

ringoffire
12-01-05, 01:32 PM
I got one for my son. Good idea getting another and keeping in the plastic, we have another monopoly game that we've kept in the plastic.