PDA

View Full Version : Jimmy Kimmel Show Hosts Marines

thedrifter
11-28-05, 07:33 PM
Jimmy Kimmel Show Hosts Marines
By Cpl. James D. Hamel / 2nd Marine Aircraft Wing

AL ASAD, IRAQ, Nov. 28, 2005 - Marines from the 2nd Marine Aircraft Wing appeared on Jimmy Kimmel’s late night TV program, Nov. 24, making a special Thanksgiving for approximately 20 Marines.

Marine Wing Headquarters Squadron 2 and Marine Heavy Helicopter Squadron 466 provided personnel for the 10-minute spot that included a personal introduction by each Marine and a short question and answer session with Kimmel.

“It was really motivating,” said Lance Cpl. Andrew Pendracki, a combat cameraman for the 2nd Marine Aircraft Wing. “It gave my family and friends a chance to see me. For a celebrity talk-show host to support what’s going on over here and support us means a lot.”

Earlier in the year, members of the 2nd MAW were given the same opportunity to appear on the show, but video quality and sound delay were an issue because of limited technology.

For the Nov. 24 show, the 2nd MAW public affairs office used the Digital Video and Imagery Distribution System, a new Department of Defense tool to provide high quality, live video feeds using a satellite. The improvement was spectacular, as Kimmel commented before the show’s taping and viewers noticed when it was aired.

“My friends were all watching back in the (United States), and they said it was great,” said Maj. Keith Couch, a Hyden, Ken., native, and commander of MWHS-2(Fwd). “They could hear and see everybody very well.”

Couch said it gave a needed relief and morale boost to the Marines under his command and their families.

“I think this was a very good thing, especially during the holidays,” he said. “Getting the opportunity to see (a deployed servicemember) makes the family feel a lot better, and it also makes the Marines feel good to show their families they’re OK.”

The producer of the show, Erin Irwin, and even Kimmel himself worked hard to give the Marines a few moments in the limelight, a fact noticed by everyone involved. They also sent hundreds of dollars worth of gifts to the deployed Marines.

“It says a lot about their character and sense of patriotism to send the stuff,” said Couch. “It’s the kind of stuff we need (food and a variety electronics and accessories), and was well thought out. I think they’re a great group of people.”

Pendracki agreed, adding that Kimmel’s on-air antics, including drinking an entire beer in honor of deployed Marines, made the Thanksgiving away from home a memorable one.

“That was really cool,” he said. “It was the best thing he could have done for us.”

Pendracki said it was nice for someone to put the politics aside and highlight the personalities of the Marines involved in the war.

“It shows someone other than my family has an interest in who we are,” Pendracki said. “That was really cool of them. How many other shows out there will do that?”

Ellie