PDA

View Full Version : Mail raises military morale

thedrifter
11-28-05, 06:31 PM
Mail raises military morale
By Kristine Coman
(Updated Monday, November 28, 2005, 11:17 AM)

Elizabeth Williams of Coarsegold recently received a certificate for preparing more than 25 pieces of fan mail for the troops.

Friends of Our Troops, www.troopfanmail.net, is a Web site that supports the troops by sending mail to men and women who serve in the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines and Coast Guard, stateside or overseas.

President Bush urged Americans to write a letter to support the troops.

"We are happy to break the news —members of Friends of Our Troops have a four-decade head start on this," said G.B. Wiser, executive director of Friends of Our Troops.

"Since the founding of Vietnam Mail Call in 1965, millions of pieces of fan mail have been sent to our troops, both at home and abroad."

Wiser said the mail keeps the morale positive during difficult times.

A postcard was sent from a United States Marine to the Friends of Our Troops office after receiving a package of fan mail to share with his friends. The letter read:

"Thank you for writing me. This is a quick note to let you know that I received your mail and I appreciate your support."

Writing has been underway by schools, churches with campus groups, scout troops, 4-H clubs and other youth organizations.

Veterans and auxiliary groups also send mail and prepare cards and letters for the 2005 Christmas Fan Mail for the Troops campaign.

Wiser said it is important for the troops to hear from supporters back home.

To support the troops and send mail, please visit the Friends of Our Troops Web site: www.troopfanmail.net.

Ellie