PDA

View Full Version : War taking toll on N.C. military marriages

thedrifter
11-27-05, 11:39 AM
War taking toll on N.C. military marriages
JAY PRICE
The News & Observer, Raleigh

JACKSONVILLE, N.C. - Hundreds of soldiers and Marines based in North Carolina flocked to magistrates to be married in early 2003. Young and headed to Iraq, they were joining a romantic tradition as old as war and marriage.

Now, many are contributing to the military's high wartime divorce rate.

The register of deeds in Onslow County, which is home to Camp Lejeune, issued 479 marriage licenses in the first two months of 2003, nearly 50 percent more than the same period in 2002. Cumberland County, where Fort Bragg is, issued 644 licenses, up nearly one-third.

Since then, units have deployed repeatedly, keeping new spouses apart - in some cases nearly as much as they have been together. Meanwhile, recruiting has fallen, and the Pentagon knows it must keep marriages healthy to shore up re-enlistment.

That means it needs to save unions such as the ill-starred marriage of Seth E. Kilkuskie and Lakiesha N. Carter.

Carter, a 19-year-old single mother, spotted the handsome 20-year-old Marine in a Jacksonville gas station one night in October 2002. He noticed her, too. He got her number, and that night they talked so long that her cell phone battery drained twice.

"I don't know if it was just that we were both lonely," she said. "Everything got really, really serious, really, really quick."

About three months after they met, they were talking about his coming deployment and the extra pay and benefits he could get as a married Marine.

"One Wednesday, we just went down and got married," she said.

That was in January 2003. Things started going wrong almost as quickly as they'd gone right. Money was tight. They didn't know each other as well as they thought.

"I'm stubborn, he's stubborn. Sometimes it got childish," she said. "Marriage is supposed to be about compromise, but neither one of us was willing to do that."

Within months, they split.

"All we ever did was struggle," she said. "I think we got married too quick, considering how young we were."

Kilkuskie, who is in Iraq, could not be reached.

The ingredients of wartime romance - love, impulse, young hormones and looming separation - can also be a recipe for divorce, said Lt. Cmdr. Breck Bregel, a Navy chaplain at Camp Lejeune.

"There's just this idea out there that 'I'll be better off financially, or my fiancee will.' But there's maybe not that foundation. They may not have known each other very long. Or, being young, they might not have really developed that intimacy, that knowledge, that trust that make up a good foundation for marriage."

There were 5,700 divorces among active-duty Army soldiers in 2001, according to Pentagon statistics. By fiscal 2004, the number had nearly doubled, to 10,500. It dipped in fiscal 2005 but was still nearly 25 percent higher than before the war.

The divorce rate among Marines was steadier. Still, nearly 75 percent of all military marriages that begin during a first enlistment end in divorce, Bregel said, compared with the national rate of about 50 percent. A big problem behind many failed military marriages is little known outside the service: misconceptions about pay.

More money is available to married personnel - about $12,000 on top of an annual $23,000 for a Marine lance corporal with three years of service if he moves off the base, and a couple of hundred dollars a month more during deployments.

But the young Marines often don't understand how much extra they'll have to shell out for vehicles, rent and other monthly bills.

Bradley J. Urias, then 20, and Ashley L. Petersen, 18, were married by an Onslow magistrate Jan. 15, 2003. He shipped out for the Middle East the next month and came home in July. The marriage lasted only a few months longer.

Petersen, through her mother, Lynn Petersen of Eagle River, Wis., declined to talk about the experience. But Lynn Petersen said that one problem was that Urias believed he'd come out ahead financially.

Urias told Ashley and her family that some of his leaders said getting married was a good idea because of the pay.

"Are they not parents themselves?" Petersen said. "Don't they know the kind of damage they can do to young people's lives?"

Some of the marriages are working, despite the odds.

Glendon T. Sword and Billie Jo Harkins, then 24 and 19 and both Marine lance corporals, were wed the day after Lakiesha Carter in January 2003, by the same magistrate. They, too, had met in October - on a Lejeune rifle range where they were firing M-16s at adjacent targets. Her empty shell casings pelted him each time she pulled the trigger.

They, too, made the decision to visit the magistrate quickly. But their experience was different in many ways.

"We had good, strong communications built up by that point," Sword said. "If you meet someone out on the town and start dating, and then you get married really quick, those are the couples that have a lot higher divorce rate."

But both agreed that marriage to another Marine is easier, because both know the nature of the job.

For the Swords, his deployment early this year wasn't the relationship killer that it was for some. While he was in Fallujah for the first half of this year, both worked to communicate.

He sent e-mail almost every day and called when he could. She was pregnant with their second child and went so far as to send him digital copies of the ultrasound images and try to call his mother every two or three days.

"I saw some like us that are going strong," Glen Sword said. "And I've seen others that got married two months before they deploy, and one month into the deployment they get a letter saying, 'I'm sorry, but I did this' or 'I did that.' And I've seen some guys send that same kind of letter home.

"Trust is crucial," he said.

They live in a new starter-home subdivision just north of Jacksonville in a house they're buying. They have two children, Mireille, 2, and Melinda, 4 months. Their living room is a swirl of strewn toys, books and stuffed animals.

One night this past week, both parents were sitting amid the clutter in green camouflage and combat boots. Above them, a wall clock still hadn't been changed from daylight-saving time.

Mireille was sitting on her mom's lap eating an apple, while Glen Sword fed Melinda her dinner bottle. A crucial point, Billie Jo said, as she helped Mireille with her snack, is that Glen does his share.

"We tag-team," she said. "If he's feeding the baby, I might be giving Mireille her bath.

"The fact that he helps out keeps our stress level down."

She's leaving the Corps soon. A big reason is the fear, however small, that both could be sent overseas at the same time, and the kids would have to be sent to grandparents. But he has just re-enlisted, with her support.

Troops often make decisions about re-enlistment based on their family's support. As recruiters struggle to meet targets, divorce rates have become a headache for the military, which has started several new programs to support marriage in recent years.

Chaplains are available for counseling almost any time. But the services also offer pre-marriage counseling programs, informal support networks for young wives, programs to ease combat soldiers' return to the family, groups to support the family while a soldier is gone - even weekend retreats at the beach for couples to improve their relationships.

But much of this is voluntary, and arrayed against it are macho military culture, the irrationality of young romance, stress and long separations.

In many cases, couples get no counseling. At Lejeune, if Marines or sailors want to marry, most commanding officers require them to attend a two-day course called "Before I Say I Do," which focuses on financial issues, compatibility, sexuality and communications.

Sometimes, said Carter, the single mother, it's not that two people are wrong for each other, just that the way they handle marriage is wrong.

"If we had waited longer and got to know each other better, we'd still be together," she said.

Her daughter from an earlier relationship, Jailyn, is now 4. Jailyn already had missed having a father in her life, then she had Kil-kuskie, then she didn't any more.

After the breakup, they moved back in with Carter's mother and three teenage brothers. Carter is raising her daughter while working two jobs and going to school. She's tired all the time, she said.

She doesn't blame her ex-husband for the collapse of their marriage any more than she blames herself. "I regret it, like, every day," Carter said.

Carter has seen a lot and done a lot since that impulsive trip to the magistrate.

"People my age have a complete fairy tale in their head about marriage," she said. "I expected too much."

But even after what she has been through, the romance of wartime marriage can still overcome logic.

"Considering that rising death toll, I might tell somebody who was thinking about doing it to go ahead," she said. "I mean, one of them might not be around that much longer, so why not?"

Ellie

thedrifter
11-28-05, 09:12 AM
Flurry of military divorces make recruiters' jobs even tougher
By Jay Price
The Associated Press

Recruiting has fallen, and the Pentagon knows it must keep marriages healthy to shore up re-enlistment.

JACKSONVILLE, N.C. - Hundreds of soldiers and Marines based in North Carolina flocked to magistrates to be married in early 2003.

Young and headed to Iraq, they were joining an age-old romantic tradition.

Now, many are contributing to the military's high wartime divorce rate.

The register of deeds in Onslow County, which is home to Camp Lejeune, issued 479 marriage licenses in the first two months of 2003, nearly 50 percent more than the same period in 2002. Cumberland County, where Fort Bragg is, issued 644 licenses, up nearly one-third.

Since then, units have deployed repeatedly, keeping new spouses apart - in some cases nearly as much as they have been together. Meanwhile, recruiting has fallen, and the Pentagon knows it must keep marriages healthy to shore up re-enlistment.

That means it needs to save unions such as the ill-fated marriage of Seth Kilkuskie and Lakiesha Carter.

Carter, a 19-year-old single mother, spotted the handsome 20-year-old Marine in a Jacksonville gas station one night in October 2002.

He noticed her, too. He got her number, and that night they talked so long that her cell phone battery drained twice.

About three months after they met, they were talking about his coming deployment and the extra pay and benefits he could get as a married Marine.

"One Wednesday, we just went down and got married," she said.

That was in January 2003. Things started going wrong almost as quickly as they'd gone right.

Money was tight. They didn't know each other as well as they thought.

Within months, they split.

Kilkuskie, who is in Iraq, could not be reached.

The ingredients of wartime romance - love, impulse, young hormones and looming separation - also can be a recipe for divorce, said Lt. Cmdr. Breck Bregel, a Navy chaplain at Camp Lejeune.

Many military members have not developed the intimacy, knowledge and trust necessary to make a good foundation for marriage, he said.

There were 5,700 divorces among active-duty Army soldiers in 2001, according to Pentagon statistics. By fiscal 2004, the number had nearly doubled, to 10,500. It dipped in fiscal 2005 but still was nearly 25 percent higher than before the war.

The divorce rate among Marines was steadier. Still, nearly 75 percent of all military marriages that begin during a first enlistment end in divorce, Bregel said, compared with the national divorce rate of about 50 percent.

Some of the marriages are working, despite the odds.

Glendon Sword and Billie Jo Harkins, then 24 and 19 and both Marine lance corporals, were wed the day after Carter in January 2003, by the same magistrate.

But their experience was different in many ways.

"We had good, strong communications built up by that point," Sword said.

Both agreed that marriage to another Marine is easier, because they know the nature of the job.

Troops often make decisions about re-enlistment based on their family's support.

As recruiters struggle to meet targets, divorce rates have become a headache for the military, which has started several new programs to support members' marriages in recent years.

Ellie

cadetat6
11-29-05, 05:14 AM
Here is story of old WW2 veteran in the romantic generation

MY WHOLE STORY

Art Morneweck and Belle Isle.
How we met – the love of my life She was 19,,,,I was 20
Early in 1943, I went on a double date with a friend and the Matthews sisters to Eastwood Amusement Park at Gratiot and 8 mile. It was a long drive from Detroit's west side. I was paired with Blanche, but her sister, Charlotte (Micky) was a great looker and I thought she was the one for me. We all had a good time together. It was more like a friend's outing than a date. Two nights later, Micky was on her way home from her job at G.M.C. She stopped at Simone's soda fountain shop where I was having a frozen Power House candy bar. We talked a while and I asked her to go for a ride. We drove to Belle Isle in my father’s 1940 Ford and one section was a parking that you faced the river and watch the boats go bye. There was no open parking space so we had to ride around the island. When you come to the bridge there was about 5 or 6 driving lanes that all turned right and takes you back off the island. Luckly I was in the 6th lane that took you over the bridge or you could drive straight and go around again. Something in my heart said go straight and I did. This time there was a parking space open. I parked and we had our first kiss. We watched the boats and then Micky said she had to go to the bath room. We left and stopped at first bath room and it was pad-locked, I looked at my watch and it was after mid-night, so was the second bat room locked.Going across the bridge Micky said she really had to go. I new if we turned left to go home we would not find a restaurant so I turned right and found a restaurant about two blocks away. I stopped and Micky used their bath room. About four months later we got engaged just before I left for Army Air Corps cadet training. I returned to Detroit to get married during a week long furlough.
Micky and I were apart for the next two years as I was sent to the Philippine Islands and occupation duty in Taegu, Korea. I returned home to her in July, 1946. We celebrated our 57th wedding anniversary May 15, 2001. Then Dec. 30, 2001 my Micky went to be with our Lord. Our daughters and son-in-law are Toni Ann Morneweck, Terry & Jack Ellis, and grandson Tim 16. We all live in same neighborhood in Novi. Micky's sister Blanche Rosendale, now lives in St. Clair.NOTE:BLANCE DIED Aug. 21, 2005.

WW2 Marriages: A short “I do” and off to war
WW 2 marriages did not have tuxedos and long gowns but did have ever lasting love. As a cadet we finished our tour at Gettysburg College and was given one week furlough Friday May 12,1944. From "Old Dorm" I called my fiancee and asked if she would marry me. She said yes, I jumped on a bus to Harrisburg, bought a new cadet hat, jumped on train for Detroit. On the train the porter looked at me, with wings on my shoulder, wings on my new cap, and humming our song "You'll never know how much I miss you". The porter said "Sir we have a better seat in the car ahead of us." I arrived home Saturday morning and found out we needed some papers filled out but offices were closed. Luck was with me, my future father-in-law had friends downtown, so everything was copasetic. We were married Monday May 15,1944 at 7 PM. We went downtown to the Hotel Fort Shelby. Shortly after arriving there my wife's sister and our best man came with White Castle Hamburgers. We spent the rest of the week on cloud nine floating around visiting friends. Sunday May 20, 1944 I left my love (boy, is this hard to write) and did not see her for two years while I went to Philippine Islands and Taegu, Korea. My wife is with our Lord now, looking down here and I can still hear her saying "Roy you are going to make yourself sick". Name Roy is another story, my middle name is LeRoy.

May 20 I was back to Gettysburg College and we were shipped out to Maxwell Field, Alabama for Pre-flight. After pre-flight we went to Avon Park, Florida where we started flying the open cockpit Bi-wing PT-17 Stearman. Then to Lakeland Florida with same type of plane. Then to Cochran Field at Macon, Georgia flying the AT-6 Texan. January 1945 I was given check flight by a Captain and one by a Major. (I had my pilot’s license before joining the Air Corps.) The Major said I did OK but they had too many pilots and I was put in the Army Infantry. I went to Gainesville,Texas for infantry training. Finished training and went to New Jersey and then by train to Pittsburg, California and shipped out June 1, 1945 for the Philippine Islands.

junker316
11-29-05, 03:05 PM
There is the simple problem with marriages now-a-days. Mostly because at least one of the parnters have come from a broken home. Divorces happen often and normally within the first year of marriage. Somewhere between the 1950s and now marriage went from " through thick and thin " to " until I just can't take it any more " or " until I find some-one better or will be there for me ". At one time Marriage in itself was a promise to GOD and those witnessing the Marriage cerimony that each individual was promising to the other and the lord that they would do everything possible to stay together until death. Mainly because they wanted to be together out of love forever. Now today it is different. It's money, a new home, what the other has to offer the other, a unborn child, better job opprotunities, loneliness, reminds one partner of an old fling, good in bed, and even domination of the other partner. Sometoimes love. And it all comes from how the adults of today were raised and how they raise the adults of tomorrow as to where marriage will stand 20 years from now.

Marriage has alot to do with maturity. Just because one partner is over 20 doesn't mean they are ready for a full time commitment. They may be 20 plus but not mature enough to tie their own boots. It doesn't help if it is a spontaneous Marriage and neither partner really knows anything about the other. Marriage is also a 50-50 road. Each partner commits themselves 100% to the marriage and everything about the marriage is 50% decision making from both parties not 100% from just the one or the other. There has to be a middle to the marriage road when traveling on it.