PDA

View Full Version : String Of Pearls

thedrifter
11-26-05, 01:47 PM
11/22/2005
String Of Pearls
By Joe O'Loughlin

The day after the Phillies won the World Series, at a filled-to-the-brim capacity JFK Stadium, Mike Schmidt took the microphone to speak. On that sun-dappled Oct. 22 at this final stop of the victory parade, the third baseman summed up the sentiments of this title-deprived town when he said, "Take this championship and savor it; for you've all earned it!" The deafening roar from the 125,000 Phillie phanatics jammed into the half-century-old athletic arena was evidence of the city's total agreement.

I thought of Schmidt's speech the other night. The full moon shone like a precious pearl embedded on a cushion of the clear night sky. Gossamer clouds whisked by swiftly in various shapes, veiling the moon as if the orb was peeking in and out from behind sheer curtains. Winking, glimmering stars pierced the verdant blue backdrop. Instead of hurriedly rushing into the house, I paused to savor that moment for a long while.

The reason why I drink in these extraordinary 'ordinary' experiences is because of what has been happening over the past several years.

So many close ones have been either taken away by death or stricken with illness or misfortune. When these things happen, more and more with each passing year as time continues its inexorable march, you begin to approach life differently. When Schmidt spoke his victory speech a quarter-century ago, his words summarized a philosophy that had already taken root in my 20-something mind. When you earned something, like the long-suffering sports city had for its years of passion and support of the team, then you could justifiably sit back and savor the moment. However, in the interim, until you achieve your goal(s) there was to be no rest for the weary.

You might feel this same way. Until the objective of your quest is attained there seems to be no time for indulging in life's little enjoyments. When the mission is accomplished then you can savor.

However, using athletics as an example, if you waited until a local team won a title to savor sports you've wasted a lot of time. Since Schmidt's speech, only one other local major league franchise has captured a world championship, and that was 22 years ago ('83 Sixers).

Like that luminous moon, God provides polished pearls to you every day. They come in the form of your child's heartfelt hug, your spouse's supporting words or even a stranger's unexpected kindness. Savor those moments. Absorb them into your soul. Let them strengthen your spirit.

String those pearls together and you will have a precious ornament that will encircle your life with beauty, joy and love. This time of thanksgiving provides the perfect opportunity to pause, to reflect and to sweetly savor all the precious gems in the crown jewel of the life you have been granted.

Ellie