PDA

View Full Version : Marine Corps Traditions and Customs

Ed Palmer
11-26-05, 09:23 AM
A MUST READ FOR ALL MARINE WANNABES

Globe and Anchor.When the late Major General Smedley Butler (winner of two Medals of Honor) was a Lieutenant in the Philippines in 1899, he decided to get himself tattooed.
I selected and enormous Marine Corps Emblem [wrote Butler} to be tattooed across my chest. It requried several sitting and hurt like the devil, but the finished product was worth the pain. I blazed triumphantly forth, the Marine from throat to waist. The emblem is still with me. Nothining on earth but skinning will remove it
Butler was somewhat premature in his last sentence. Within less than a year during the storming if Tartar Wall in Peking ,a Chinese bullet struck him in the chest gouged off part of his emblem. the rest of it accompanied him to the grave forty years later.
Whether you a Private or a General is secondary compared to the privilege you share of wearing the emblem. The Glode and Anchor is the most important insigne you have.
The Marine Emblem as we know it today dates from 1868. It was contibuted to the Corps by Brigadier General Jacob Zelin, 7th Commandant. until 1840 Marines wore various devices mainly based on the spread eagle or foul anchor. In 1840 two Marine Corps devices were accepted. Both were circled by a laurel wreath, undoubtedly borrowed from the Royal Marines' badge, but one had a foul anchor inscribed inside, while the other bore the letters USM. In 1859 a standard center was adopted-a U.S. shield surmounted by a hunting horn within which was the letter M. From this time on, the bulge and the letter M without the shield or laurel wreath were usually worn by Marines on undress uniforms. This type of bulge was the nineteenth century symbol for light infantry or jagers-so called because they were recruited from the ranks of foresters,gamekeepers, and proachers, all reowned as skirmishers and rifleman.
In 1868, however, General Zeilin felt that a more distinctive emblem was need. He chose another device brrowed from the British Marines: the globe.
The globe had been conferred on the Royal Marines in 1827 by King George IV. Because it was impossible to recite all the achievements of the Marines on the Corps color, said the King, " the Great Glode itself" was to be their Emblem, for Marines had won honor everywhere.
General Zeilin's U.S. Marine Globe displayed the Western Hemisphere, since the "Royals" had the Eastern Hemisphere on theirs. Eagle and Foul Anchor were added, to leave no doubt that the Corps was both American and Maritime

The Marine Corps Seal
The offical seal of the Corps,designed by General Shepherd, 20th Commandant, consists of the Marine Corps Emblem in bronze with the eagle holding in his beak a scroll inscibed Semper Fidelis, a scarlet and blue background for the emblem, and the words, Department of the Navy and the United States Marine Corps encircling the background.

The Marine Corps Seal
The Official seal of the Corps, designed by General Shepherd, 20th Commandant, consists of the Marine Corps emblem in bronze with the eagle holding in his beak a scroll inscribed Semper Fidelis, a scarlet and blue background for the emblem, and the words, Department of the Navy and United States Marine Corps encircling the background.

Marine Corps Colors
The colors of the Corps are scarlet and gold.
Although associated with the United States Marine Corps for many years, these colors wre not officially recognized until General Lejeune became 13th Commandant.
In addition to scarlet and gold, forest green enjoys at least semi-official standing as a Marine Color. During the years since 1912 when forest green was adopted for the winter service uniform, it has become standard for such equipment as vehicles, weapons, armor, and organizational chests and baggage.

Marines' Hymn and Marine Corps March
"The Marines' Hymn" of the Marine Corps. "Semper Fidelis," one of John Phillp Sousa's best known works, is the Corps march. Every Marine knows every word of the Marine Corps Hymn and will sing them at a drop of a field hat. All Marines get to their feet whenever "The Marines' Hymn" is played or sung. "Semper Fidelis" was composed by Sousa in 1888 during his tour as Marine Corps Band Leader. "Semper Fi" is habitually rendered for parades, reviews, and march-pasts of Marines

Birthday of the Corps
The Marine Corps was founded by the Continetal Congress on 10 November 1775. The resolution which created our Corps reads as follows:

Resolved. That two Battalions of Marines be raised consisting of one Colonel, two Lieutenant Colonels, two Majors, and Officers as usual in other Regiments, that they consist of an equal number of privates with other Battalions; that particular care be taken that no persons be appointed to office, or so enlisted into said Battalions, but such as are good seaman, or so acquainted with maritime affairs as to be able to serve to advantage by sea, when required. That they be enlisted and commissioned for and during the present war with great Britain and the colonies, unless dismissed by order of Congress. That they be distinguished by the names of the First and Second Battalions of American Marines, and that they be considered as part of the number, which the Continental Army before Boston is ordered to consist of.

Marine Corps Swords
The swords carried by Marine Officers and Noncommissioned Officers go far back into the traditions of the Corps and are among the oldest weapons in continual use in the United States Armed Forces.
The sword that Officers carry goes back to the Inform Regulations of 1826. Records of the day, however, indicate that swords of this pattern were worn by Marine Officers before the war of 1812.
The Mameluke Sword of the Officers gets its name from the cross-hilt and ivory grip, both of which were used for centuries by the Moslems of North Africa and Arabia. The Marine Corps tradition of carrying this type of sword dates from Lieutenant O'Bannon's assault on Derna, Tripoli, in 1805 when he is said to have won the sword of the Governor of the town.
The Noncommissioned Officers' sword is the U.S. Army model sword which was adopted by the Marine Corps in 1859 and briefly carried by Marine Officers as well. When Officers went back to the Mameluke pattern in 1875, the Army-type sword was retained as a distinctive model for the Corps of Noncommissioned Officers and has been carried by Marine NCOs ever since.

"First on foot, and right of the line."
Marines form at the place of honor-at the head of column or on right of line-in any Naval formation. This privilege was bestowed on the Corps by the Secretary of the Navy on 9 August 1876.

"First to Fight"
The slogan "First to Fight," has appeaared on Marine recruiting posters ever since World War I.
Marines have been in the forefont of every American War since the founding of the Corps. Marines entered the Revolution in 1775, even before the Declaration of Independence was signed. Before declaration of war of 1812, Marines helped to defend the USS Chesapeake against the British. Atthe outset of hostilities against Mexico, Marines helped to rasie California's Bear Flag. In the Civil War, Marines not only captured John Brown at Harper's Ferry but were among the few U.S. regulars who fought in the first Battle of Manassas in 1861. In 1898, Huntington's Fleet Marines were the first U.S. troops to occupy Cuban soil, and Admiral Dewey's Marines were the first to land in the Philippines. Marines were first to land at Veracruz (1914). In World War I, the 5th Marines formed part of the first American Expeditionary Force (AEF) contingent to sail for France. In the second World War, at Pearl Harbor, Ewa, Wake, Midway, Johnston Island, and Guam, Marines formed the ready forefront of our Pacific outpost line. In the Korean War, the first reinforcements to leave the continental United States were the 1st Provisional Marine Brigade. The first American troops to land in Lebanon in 1958 were Marines. At Santo Domingo, in 1965, Marines were again the first to fight, while in Vietnam, the first U.S, ground unit to be committed to the war was the 3d Marine Division.
On this record of readiness,"First to Fight" constitutes the Marine's pride, responsibility, and challenge.

"Leathernecks."
The Marines' long-standing nick-name, "Leathernecks," goes back to the leather stock, or neckpiece, which was part of the Marine uniform from 1775-1875. Descended from the stock is the standing collar, hallmark of Marine blues. Like its leather ancestoe, the standing collar regulates stance and posture and thus proclaims the wearer as a modern "Leatherneck."

Scarlet trouser-stripe (Blood Stripe)
Marine Corps Officers and Noncommissioned Officers have worn scarlet stripes on dress trousers ever since the early days of the Corps. It is unsubstantiated, even though often repeated, that the right to wear scarlet stripes was conferred on the Corps as a battle honor after the Mexican actually the intial uniform trousers issued after the reconstitution of the Corps in 1798 had scarlet piping.

Headgear
Two Marine traditions center about headgear. The Quatrefoil ( the cross-shaped braid atop officers' frame-type "barracks" caps has been worn ever since 1859. The design, of French origin, is a distinguishing part of the Marine officers' uniform.
THE Field Hat (D.I. Campaign Hat) was the rugged, picturesque expeditionary headgear of the Corps from 1898 until 1942 and became a universal favorite. As a result, although the hat became outmoded during World War II, General Cates, the 19th Commandant, authorized its use on the rifle range in 1948 and took steps to issue field hats to all medalist shooters in Marine Corps matches. Subsequently, in 1956, General Pate, the 21st Commandant, directed that field hats be worn by all recruit drill instructors, and the hat has become a symbol of Marine Corps recruit training.
( later copied by the Army for thier DIs)

Marine Corps Collar Emblems
Although Officers have worn collar emblems since the 1870's Enlisted Marines did not rate this privilege until August 1918 when Franklin D. Roosevelt, then Assistant Secretary of the Navy, visited the 4th Marine Brigade in France, shortly after Belleau Wood. In recognition of the Brigade's victory. Mr. Roosevelt directed on the spot that Enlisted Marines would hencefoth wear the emblem on thier collars.

Marine talk and terminology
The 4th Marine brigade's admired Army commander at Belleau Wood, Lieutenant General James G. Harbord, USA, was quick to note and record the salty Marine way of saying thing:
In the more than a month that the Marine Brigade fought in and around the Bois de Belleau, I got a good opportunity to get the Marine psychology...The habitual Marine address was "Lad", ...No Marine was ever to old to be a "Lad." The Marines never start anywhere: they "shove off." There were no kitchens: the cooking was done in "galleys." No one ever unfurled a flag-he "broke it out."

The Canton Bell
At the Marine Corps Historical Center hangs a weathered bronze Chinese bell-the "Canton Bell"-cherished gift from the Royal Marines. This bell was taken by "the Royals" after storming the Canton Forts in South China in 1856 and for years occupied a place of honor in the Royal Marines Officers's mess at Chatham. When Chatham Barracks was decommissioned after World War II, the officers of the mess voted to present their tropy to the U.S. Marines as a symbol of the comradeship between the two Corps during the Canton Forts attack and later.

"The President's Own."
Founded in 1798 (more than a century before the bands of the Navy,Army and Air Force), the Marine Band has preformed at the White House functions of every President except George Washington and was especially sponsored by Thomas Jefferson. Because of its traditional privilege of performing at the White House, the band is spoken of as "The President's Own." President Kennedy epitomized thr band's special position when he remarked in 1962, "I find that the only forces which cannot be transferred from Washington without my express permission are the members of the Marine Band, and I want it announced that we propose to hold the White House against all odds, at least for some time to come."
The Marine Band has been present at many of the most memorable and cherished moments in our nation's history, including the dedication of the National Cemetery at Gettysburg when Lincoln gave his immortal address (and his aide-de-camp was Second Lieutenant H.C. Cochrane, USMC). Among the band's many traditions, including leadership for twelve years by John Philip Sousa, is its scarlet, full-dress blouse, only red coat worn by American forces since the Revolutionary War. (In 1956, the Marine Corps Drum and Bugle Corps was likewise granted the privilege of wearing red coats.)
The Marine Band tours the country each fall and has done so ever since Sousa commenced the practice in 1891, although one section of the band always remains in Washington to fulfill its traditional primary mission: "To provide music when directed by the President of the United States, the Congress of the United States, or the Commandant of the Marine Corps."

Evening Parade
From May through October, a ceremonial Evening Parade is held each Friday evening after nightfall at the Marine Barracks, Eighth and Eye. This colorful ceremony, executed under searchlight illumination, features the Marine Band, Marine Corps Drum and Bugle Corps, a special exhibition drill platoon, and a Battalion of Marines from the barracks. Evening Parades were first held in 1957 after a Marine Corps ceremonial detachment participated in the Bermuda International Searchligt Tattoo, and this parade became a fixed Marine Corps custom following the similar participation by a larger Marine detachment in the famed Edinburgh Searchlight Tattoo in Scotland in 1958. Evening Parades are open to the public, and any Noncommissioned Officer who desires to attend with a reasonable number of guests my obtain seats by telephoning the Marine Barracks Sergeant Major.

"And St. David."
During the Boxer Uprising (1900), at Tientsin and Peking, the Marine Battalion in the international relief column was Brigaded with the Royal Welch Fusiliers (23d Foot), one of Britain's most renowned Regiments. The resulting fellowship between the two organizations is symbolized each year on St. David's Day (1 March, the Welsh national holiday), when the Commandant of the Marine Corps and the Colonel of the Fusiliers exchange by dispatch the traditional watchword of Wales: "...And St. David."

The Commandant's license plate
If, in Washington, D.C. you ever bump into a car bearing the license "1775," climb out of the wreckage at attention. That license pate is set aside for the official sedan of the Commandant of the Marine Corps.

Rum on New Year's Day
Every New Year's Day since 1804, the Marine Band serenades the Commandant at his quarters and receives a tot of hot rum punch in return. This occasion marks the last surviving issue of "grog" in the Armed Forces.

Ship's bell
All Marine posts (and even some camps in the field) have their ships's bell, usually from a warship no longer in commission. This bell is mounted at the base of the flag pole, and the guard has the duty, between reveille and taps, of striking the bells and also of keeping the bell in a high polish.

Last to leave the ship
Marines are always, or should be, the last-other than the ship's Captain-to leave a ship being abandoned or put out of commission. Although the tradition is an old one, it first appears in Navy Regulations of 1865:
When a vessel is to be put out of commission, the Marine Officer with the guard shall remain on board until all the Officers and Crew are detached and the ship regularly turned over to the Officers of the Navy Yard or station.

Marine Corps Mascot
The English bulldog or Boxer has become a traditional Marine Corps mascot. This image probably dates from World War I when it is said that German soldiers referred to Marines as "Devil Dogs." The phase was used in the press as a soubriquet for Marines from Belleau Woods. After the war, an English bulldog, named "Sergeant Major Jiggs," was present to General Lejeune, 13th Commandant. From that time on, an English bulldog, assigned rank earned, has served at Eighth and Eye and participated in ceremonies as mascot of the Corps.

"Tell it to the Marines!"
In his book, Fix Bayonets!, Captain John W. Thomason, jr. gives the generally accepted version of the origin of "Tell it to the Marines!."
They relate of Charles II that at Whitehall a certain sea-captain, newly returned from the Western Ocean, told the King of flying fish, a thing never heard of in old england. The King and court were vastly amused. But, the naval fellow presisting, the Merry Monarch beckoned to lean, dry colonel of the sea regiment, with seamed mahogany face, and said, in effect: "Colonel, this tarry-breeks here makes sport with us stay-at-homes. He tells of a miraculous fish that foesakes its element and flies like a bird over the water." Sire," saind the Colonel of Marines, "he tells a true thing. I myself have often seen those fish in your Majesty's sea around Barbados-"Well," decided Charles, "such evidence cannot be disputed. And hereafter, when we hear a strange thing, we will tell it to the Marines, for the Marines go everywhere and see everything, and if they say it is so, we will believe it."
This yarn (for such it is) was for many years credited to Samuel Pepys, although scholars disclaimed it. On the other hand, the phase, "Tell it to the Marines," is an old one and can be found in print as early as 1726.

At Divine Service
When attending divine service in uniform, or present in uniform at an occasion when prayer is offered ( as at a military funeral), uncover (if not already done) and assume the old pre-1939 position of "Parade Rest without Arms," i,e, right foot carried six inches to the rear, left knee slightly bent, weight equally distributed on both feet; hands clasped without constraint in front of the body, left hand uppermost-and in the case of prayer, head slightly bowed. This position enables you to appear reverent and military at the same time, and was used as the traditional position for prayer at sea throughout the old Nay.

The following is the text of A Marine's Prayer, adopted in 1967 by the Navy Chief of Chaplains for use by all faiths:

Almight Father, whose command is over all and whose love never faileth; let me be aware of Thy presence and obedient to Thy will. Keep me true to my best self, guarding me against dishonesty in purpose and deed, and helping me so to live that I can stand unashamed and unafraid before my fellow Marines, my loved ones, and Thee. Protect those in whose love I live, give me the will to do the work of a Marine and to accept my share of responsibilities with vigor and enthusiasm. Grant me fortitude that I may be proficient in my daily performance. Keep me loyal and faithful to my superior officers; make me considerate of those entrusted to my leadership and faithful to the duties my country and the Marine Corps has entrusted to me. Help me always to wear my uniform with dignity, and let it remind me daily of the traditions of the service of which I am part. If I am inclined to doubt, steady my faith; if I am tempted, make me strong to resit; I should miss the mark, give me courage to try again. Guide me with the light of truth and grant me wisdom by which I may understand the answer to my prayer. AMEN.

Conduct in Action
Over and above competence, resolution, and courage which are expected of every Marine in battle, it is particularly expected that no wounded or dead Marine will ever be left on the field or unattended, regardless of the cost of bringing him in.
As for surrender, The Marine Corps code is that expressed by Napoloen:
There is but one honorable mode of becoming prisoner of war. This is, by being taken separately; by which is meant, by being cut off entirely, and when we can no longer make use of our arms.

Marine Corps Museums
"The scrap-book of the Marine Corps," as it is sometimes described, is the Marine Corps Historical Center, Washington Navy Yard. No summary ot he traditions of the Corps would be complete without mention of this central repository of awards, battle honors, historical flags, and other objects of lasting sentimental significance to the Marine Corps. The museum collection documents Marine Corps history from 1775 to present day. On display is an extensive array of uniforms, weapons, artifacts, equipment, prints, and painting giving tangible sibstance to the proud traditions of the Corps. Included among numerous historical flags, for example, are the famous Colors 28th Marines atop Suribachi Yama on Iwo Jima. The Weapons collection is one of the finest in the world, and is backed up by over 55,000 documents covering design, patent data, and test reports on machine guns and automatic weapons alone. Every Marine should be thoroughly familiar with this museum, which ranks among the Most Elite military and Naval museum in the world. In addition to the museum at Washington Navy Yard, there is the Aviation Museum at Quantico Va.,as well as excellent Post Museums at Quantico, Parris Island, MCRD San Diego, the Navy and Marine Museum at Treasure Island, San Francisco; and in Philadelphia, in New Hall, a restored building from pre-Revolutionary days, may be found an outstanding collection of material dealing with early days of the Corps and its orgins in Pennsylvania.

Marine Corps Memorial Chapel, Quantico
The Post Chapel at Quantico serves, in addition to its regular functions, as the Memorial Chapel of the Marine Corps. Here is kept a "Book of Remembrance" listing the names, rank and date of death for Marines and members of the Navy serving with the Marine Corps who have given their lives in action. The book includes by name every Marine or eligible Navyperson recorded as killed in action since the Revolution to present.

Colors,Flags, and Standards
Colors, Flags, and Standards
A recruit once asked his drill instructor,"Sergeant, who carries the Flag into battle?
Came the unhesitating reply, "Son every Marine carries the Flag in battle!"
As the Marine proverb says, "The Flag is a jealous mistress," and any Marine will fight and die rather than permit the National Colors or a Marine Corps Color to be dishonored.
Colors or Standards MUST never fall into enemy hands. If capture seems inevitable, they should be burned. Unserviceable colors or standards, or those from disbanded units, are turned into the supply system. The latter in turn forwards flags of historical value to the Marine Corps Historical Center, which is the Corps repository for historical flags, as well as for flags and war trophies captured by Marines. Soiled, torn, or badly frayed flags, if not historical, are destroyed privately by burning.

Types of Flags
Marine Corps terms which deal with flags are precise and particular. As Marines we need to learn to distinguish the various kinds of flags and to speak of them in the correct terminology.

National Color or Standard
This is the American Flag. When the flag is displayed over Marine or Navy posts, stations, or ships, its official title is the National Ensign. The national flag carried by Marine organizations is made of silk or nylon and is called the National Color (except when borne by a mounted, mechanized, motorized, or aviation unit, when its title becomes the National Standard). This technical distinction between a color and a standard also applies to the battle colors and organization colors described in the following paragraphs.

The National Color is carried on all occasions of ceremony when two or more companies of a unit are present. When not in the hands of troops, the National Color is entrusted to the Adjutant. With the Marine Corps Color, the National Color is usually displayed in the office or before the tent of the Commanding Officer. Whenever the National Color is carried in the open, it is escorted by a Color Guard composed of selected Marines, and the Color itself is borne by an Outstanding Noncommisioned Offcier, known as the Color Sergeant.

The National Ensign, displayed over ships and shore stations, comes in three sizes. These are:

1. Post Flag: size 10 by 19 feet, flown in fair weather except on Sundays and national holidays.
2. Storm Flag: 5 by 9 feet 6 inches, flown during foul weather.
3. Garrison Flag size 20 by 38 feet, flown on Sundays and national holidays as provided in the Marine Corps Flag Manual (but never from a flagpole shorter than 65 feet).

Marine Corps Colors and Standards.
The Commandant issues to every major Marine Unit or Organization a distinguishing flag which is carried beside the National Color. These unit flags are called Marine Corps Colors (or Standards). A Marine Corps Colors bears the emblem and motto of the Corps and the Unit Title and follows the color scheme of the Corps, scarlet and gold.

The Marine Corps Color of a Fleet Marine Force unit is called the unit Battle Color; the Color authorized for an organization in the Supporting Establishment (such as a Marine Barracks) is called the Organization Color. No unit smaller than a seprate battalion or regiment recieves a Battle Color, nor does a temporary or provisional unit receive one unless specially authorized by the Commandant.
Certain organized units of the Marine Corps Reserve are likewise authorized to carry Organizational Flags of the type just described, but bearing a Reserve designation.

Guidons These are small rectangular flags, made in the Marine Corps colors, carried by companies, batteries, or detachments, or used as marker flags for ceremonies. Organization Guidons carry the Marine Corps emblem and the title of the unit.

Personal Flags Every active General Officer in command displays a Personal Flags. Marine Corps personal flags consist of a scarlet field with white stars according to the General Officer's rank.

Miscellaneous flags In Addition to the ceremonial flags just described, the Corps employs several miscellaneous flags and pennants described in the Marine Corps Flag Manual. Examples are:

Geneva Convention flag
Church pennant
Sanitary cordon flag
Recruiting flag

Appurtenances of Flags. The appurtenances of Marine colors, standards, flags, and guidons are:

Streamers
Bands
Cords
Tassels
Staff ornaments

Streamers denote participation in combat or the adward of a collective citation or decoration conferred on the unit as a whole.
A Silver Band is attached to the staff of a Marine Corps color or standard for each streamer awarded.
When the unit or organization does not rate streamers or bands, a cord and tassel, woven in the Corps colors, is substituted. The head of the staffs bear the following Staff Ornaments:
Colors and Standards: silver lance head
Personal flag: silver halberd
Guidon: plain silver cap

Battle Color of the Marine Corps. The Corps as a whole has one battle color, entitledThe Battle Color of the Marine Corps. This color is entrusted to the senior post of the Corps, Marine Barracks, Eight and Eye Streets, Washington, D.C. Attached to it are all the battle honors, citations, battle streamers, and silver bands that the Corps has won since 1775. the Follow is a list of honors: (Note this is not a complete list)

Presidential Unit Citation (Navy) Streamer with six silver stars andtwo bronze stars
Presidential Unit Citation (Army) Streamer with silver oak leaf cluster
Joint Meritorious Unit Adward
Navy Unit Commendation Streamer with sixteen silver stars
Army Valorous Unit Adward
Meritorious Unit Commendation Streamer with twenty-three silver and three bronze stars
Army Meritorious Unit Streamer
Revolutionary War Streamer
Naval War with France Streamer
Barbary Wars Streamer
War of 182 Streamer
African Slave Patrol Streamer
West Indies Anti-Piracy Campaign Streamer
Indian Wars Streamer
Mexican War Streamer
Civil War Streamer
Marine Corps Expeditionary Streamer with twelve silver stars and silver "W"
Spanish-American War Streamer
Philippine Campaign Streamer
China Relief Expedition Streamer
Cuban Pacification Streamer
Nicaraguan Campaign Streamer
Mexican Service Streamer
Haitian Campaign Streamer with one bronze star
Dominican Campaign Streamer
World War I Victory Streamer with one silver star and one bronze star
Army of Occupation of Germany Streamer
Second Nicaraguan Campaign Streamer
Yangtze Service Streamer
China Service Streamer with one bronze star
American Defense Service Streamer with one bronze star
Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Streamer with eight silver and two bronze stars
American Campaign Streamer
European-African-Middle East Campaign Streamer with one silver and four bronze stars
World War II Victory Streamer
Navy Occupation Service Streamer with Asia and Europe Clasps
National Defense Service Streamer with two stars
Korean Service Streamer with two silver stars
Armed Forces Expeditionary Streamer with three silver stars and two bronze stars
Vietnam Service Streamer with three silver stars and two bronze stars
Southwest Asia Service Streamer with three stars
French Croix de Guerre Streamer (Fourragere) with two palms and one gilt star
Philippine Defense Streamer with one stars
Philippine Liberation Streamer with two stars
Philippine Independence Streamer
Philippine Presidential Unit Citation with two bronze stars
Republic of Korea Presidential Unit Citation
Vietnam Cross of Gallantry with palm
Vietnam Meritorious Unit Citation with palm

(CONTINUED)

Ed Palmer
11-26-05, 09:25 AM
(continued) <br />
<br />
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- <br />
NonCommissioned Officers and Traditions <br />
<br />
The oldest known Noncommissioned Rank with a standard...