PDA

View Full Version : Marine Uniforms c1914 Veracruz

Botch
11-26-05, 08:17 AM
Can anyone help me with directions to information on this topic, please? I am a UK freelance writer working on a magazine article on the Mexican Revolution, and a section on the US Occupation of Vreacruz is included. I have found details of the sailors clothing but cannot track down contemporary information on the USMC contingent's. Any help gratefully recieved, and will be acknowledged in the article.
Thanks

Botch
09-07-06, 09:13 AM
Ouch! Lots of views and not one reply...

DWG
09-07-06, 09:53 AM
You might try Don Troianis' web sight. He does a lot of work on historical uniforms and has an illustrated book on the subject. If I were at home I could look it up but, alas, I am at work. You might email him for info on uniform research sites. Good luck.

Botch
09-07-06, 10:46 AM
Thanks DW. I have been to Troiani's site, but haven't thought of asking.

lucien2
09-07-06, 11:29 AM
http://history.sandiego.edu/gen/ww1/mex2.html

Try this site, I got it from googling "marines Vera Cruz".

GunnyL
09-07-06, 11:48 AM
The Landing at Veracruz 1914 Jack Sweetman. Very well written history of the landing and occupation of Vera Cruz in 1914. Some photos, most not seen anywhere else. Great information in the 4 appendix sections. Currently out of print. 1968 Naval Institute Press.

MillRatUSMC
09-07-06, 11:50 AM
http://www.lelivrechezvous.com/images/products/0930286.gif

These Marine uniforms graphic shows both Officers and Enlisted Marines.
The Enlisted are in the yellow leggings, I believe the other two are Marine Officers.
These are from World War I, these are just three to four years removed from 1914...so most likely they were wearing these uniforms minus the steel helmet.

You could also contact the Marine Corps University at Quantico, Virginia for some photos.
If they are not able to supply, they will direct you the Historial section on the Base.

This all we're to supply at this moment.

DWG
09-07-06, 12:05 PM
Before Millrat beat me to it, I was going to suggest the Marine Museum at Quantico. It's relatively new and you can contact them on line I believe. don't know why I didn't think of them to start with, old and slow I guess.

Botch
09-07-06, 02:09 PM
Thanks guys. I have both the books mentioned. I will try Quantico as you suggest.