PDA

View Full Version : Any one read the book "Chesty"

Bloodstripe
11-10-02, 05:26 PM
No not the one titled "Marine" by Burke Davis, but the one titled "Chesty".
The author is Col Jon T. Hoffman, USMCR. I have read the first book on Col Puller and that was an outstanding read. This book is another great read. Col Hoffman goes into allot of detail in this book. From reading this book it seems as though during Burke Davis book "Marine" allot of the official records from the Korean War and WWII were still classified.
This author has done allot of research into the records and this book reflects it. I am currently in the chapter about Cape Gloucester and Pavuvu. It is hard to believe what these Marines went through. During the Saipan campaign after 3 days of naval bombardment against 30,000 Japanese defenders the Marines had 16,000 men killed or wounded. I could go on about this book but if anyone is interested here is the link and I tried to attach an image of the cover but not sure if it will work.
Semper Fi
Bloodstripe

http://www.randomhouse.com/randomhouse/catalog/display.pperl?0679447326http://www.randomhouse.com/catalog/covers_450/0-679-44732-6.jpg

wrbones
11-10-02, 06:40 PM
I've read the book. It is well worth the time. Personally I think it is better than the first in several different ways. Much better written, easier to read, more information about Chesty's life... It is well done.

devilpup2B
11-10-02, 06:54 PM
Just finished it recently. And it is an AWESOME book.

vance
11-11-02, 07:29 PM
I have read and enjoyed . It is one of those on the book shelf that you take down and browse constantly. This biography has filled the gap , well written and the author places you right there .

gyrene79
11-11-02, 09:58 PM
I read the one book"Marine"it was awsome.

USMC 0300
11-21-02, 06:59 AM
Chesty was a great book, finished it a few months ago, another book i just started it is really awesome called "fortunate son". this book is great, if you liked Marine and chesty you'll love this one..

Havelka
11-21-02, 07:13 AM
:marine:
The 2nd. book was great!!If you love Chesty it's a must read.
A lot of new history about him in it.
:marine:

Barndog
11-21-02, 11:07 AM
The wife got 'Chesty' for my birthday - along with 'A Fellowship of Valor' (which I have on tape already).

I'll let ya know in a few weeks.

Semper FI

USMC-FO
11-21-02, 03:23 PM
Reading "Chesty" now and enjoying it very much, I am about a 1/3rd of the way through the book. "Fortunate Son" that 0300 refers to above is also excellent too, albiet also very tragic. I read it a number of years ago.

Butskie51
11-21-02, 05:40 PM
I had read "MARINE" and looking forward to Chesty!

SgtMac
11-23-02, 03:01 PM
Finished the book and thought it was much better than the first. This book does a better job of a COMPLETE portrayal of Chesty, warts and all. Highly recommend it to all!