PDA

View Full Version : Scout chose ‘road less traveled’ to serve

thedrifter
11-26-05, 06:38 AM
Scout chose ‘road less traveled’ to serve
MCB Hawaii
Story by:Lance Cpl. Roger L. Nelson

MARINE CORPS BASE HAWAII, KANEOHE BAY, Hawaii(Nov. 25, 2005) -- From a young Eagle Scout to hardened Marine, he chose to take “the road less traveled” to become one of the “few and the proud.”

“College wasn’t really an option for me, once I got out of high school,” said Josh S. Wartchow, squad leader, Lima Company, 3rd Battalion, 3rd Marine Regiment. “I wanted to do something for my country that would make people proud. I also wanted to build upon the leadership skills that I learned when I was an Eagle Scout, so I knew the military was right for me.”

Wartchow was originally interested in joining the Navy as a military police officer, but was turned onto the Marine Corps by one of his friends.

“My friend was joining the Marines and talked me into going into the Marine recruiter’s office and talking to him,” said Wartchow. “It seemed like a more hardcore thing to do -- like it was more my style. So I decided that’s where I needed to be instead of the Navy. I also wanted to be in the infantry, and the Navy doesn’t really have an infantry, so that was a deciding factor for me to sign the papers.”

Wartchow said that his parents were very proud of him when they found out he had joined the Marines, but were worried about his well-being.

“I was young and straight out of high school, so they didn’t know what to expect,” said the Doylestown, Penn. native. “I guess you could say I was still my parents little boy, and they didn’t want to see anything happen to me.”

Since Wartchow has joined the Marine Corps, he has traveled to many different places including Afghanistan, Japan, the Philippines and Australia.

“I went to a lot of places when we were with the 31st Marine Expeditionary Unit,” said 22-year-old. “My best deployment, and probably best time I’ve had in the Marine Corps, was when I was in Afghanistan from November 2004 until June 2005.”

Wartchow said he enjoyed Afghanistan so much because they got to work with other branches of military from different countries.

“It was cool getting to help the other military services train,” admitted the Archbishop Wood High School graduate. “We got to see the similarities and differences between how America’s military and their military is run.”

According to Wartchow, seeing Marines you’ve served with leave the Corps or change duty stations is difficult.

“I’ve met a lot of good people since I’ve been in the Marine Corps,” said Wartchow. “It’s rough -- because you meet these awesome people and you never know when they’re going to be deployed or stationed somewhere else. So I guess that can be one of the best and worst parts about being a Marine.”

Wartchow is currently training for his upcoming deployment to Iraq.

“Once I return from Iraq, I’m changing duty stations. I’ll be assigned to Quantico, Va., where I’ll be an Officer Candidate School instructor,” said Wartchow. “There’s a lot of things I want to do while I’m in the Marine Corps, but being a OCS instructor is what I want to do most. I also definitely want to be an instructor in the School of Infantry.”

Wartchow said he wanted to be assigned as a Marine Security Guard before he got married.

“I’m married now, so the MSG duty thing will have to wait until I’m a staff sergeant,” said Wartchow. “My wife is more important, and I figure I’m going to be in the Marines for 20 years, so I’ll get my chance to go MSG, eventually.”

Wartchow said his mentor is a staff sergeant who is assigned to 3/3, Weapons Platoon -- someone whom he has learned a lot from.

“This man epitomizes everything the Marines Corps stands for,” said Wartchow. “He’s taught me a lot, like how to deal with Marines. I strive everyday in the Marine Corps to be like him and hope someday I’ll be as good of a Marine as he is.”

Ellie