PDA

View Full Version : Defiance, Ohio, native living dream, supporting Marines from 30,000 feet

thedrifter
11-25-05, 11:53 AM
Defiance, Ohio, native living dream, supporting Marines from 30,000 feet
2nd Marine Aircraft Wing
Story by Cpl. Micah Snead

AL ASAD, Iraq (Nov. 25, 2005) -- Chasing down a dream can lead people to the far corners of Earth, or into the depths of their soul. Capt. Brian Rolf, a Defiance, Ohio, native, fulfilled his dream at 30,000 feet.

Rolf, a 29-year-old pilot with Marine All-Weather Fighter Attack Squadron 332, deployed to Al Asad, Iraq, in August. The Moonlighters of VMFA(AW)-332, based at Marine Corps Air Station Beaufort, S.C., are providing close-air support for II Marine Expeditionary Force operations in the Al Anbar province.

Rolf’s path to the cockpit of an F/A-18 Hornet began at a young age.

“I think I was about 7 when someone gave me a military calendar that had photos of jets,” Rolf said. “That did it for me. Other kids wanted to be cops or firemen, I wanted to be a pilot.”

Rolf’s parents were soon informed of their son’s early career plan.

“Brian came to us and said ‘I am going to be a fighter pilot when I grow up,’” Rolf’s father, Eric Rolf, said. “His mother Peggy and I more or less said ‘that’s great’ and did not give it a great deal of thought.”

Their son was determined to make his dream a reality and took one step closer to the skies when he enrolled at Ohio State University and participated in the school’s Navy Reserve Officer Training Corps program before setting his sights on a Marine Corps pilot contract.

“Even at that time, it was still a dream of mine,” Rolf said. “I knew no matter what, I wanted to try and do it. The Marine Corps offered the best opportunity for me, so I went after it.”

And just like that, Rolf graduated Ohio State with a degree in political science and a ticket to The Basic School, a six-month school for all Marine officers, after spending two summers at Officer Candidate School. From there, Rolf would endure a series of flight training before being assigned to the Moonlighters, his first Fleet Marine Force squadron.

“Flying that Hornet the first time after flight school was something I’ll never forget,” Rolf said. “I had finally done it. It was like everything I went through in my life was just a lead-in to that one thing.”

Since joining the Moonlighters in 2002, Rolf’s time with the squadron has been full of new personal highlights.

“Landing on an aircraft carrier at night for the first time and crosstraining with Japanese F-15 pilots have been two things that really stand out,” Rolf said.

Rolf has traveled the globe with the Moonlighters, from Beaufort to Marine Corps Air Station Yuma, Ariz., Japan, Thailand and Korea. Rolf said each training detachment has helped prepare him for the Moonlighters’ current assignment in Iraq.

“Out here, you use everything you’ve been trained for against insurgents or Al Qaeda in Iraq,” Rolf said. “We’re directly supporting Marines on the ground, but engaging the enemy from the sky. It’s great to bring everything together for a mission like this.”

Rolf expects to exceed 100 combat missions before the Moonlighters return to Beaufort. His pride in living his dream is second only to the pride of supporting the Marine Corps mission in Iraq.

“It truly makes you feel like you’re a part of history,” Rolf said. “Flying missions in the Al Anbar province during these trying times of constant battle has been challenging. But, the Marine Corps and all our coalition forces continue to fight the good fight.”

Rolf’s parents are equally proud, not only of their son, but of all the U.S. fighting forces in Iraq, Eric said.

“Our pride in Brian flying the Hornet, as a parent, is a wonderful feeling,” Eric said. “The mission of his squadron and II MEF in Iraq fighting terrorism is truly the greatest sense of pride we have as parents. It is an extremely tough mission and the sense of pride we have for the ground troops and the Moonlighters is a feeling that makes one realize why the United States is such a great place to live.”

While Rolf is on the ground, he serves as the squadron’s Aircrew Life Support System division head. Marine Corps pilots are unique because they serve collateral billets in the squadron. Preparing for and executing flight operations is only half the job. Rolf oversees Marines who work in the squadron’s flight equipment and seat shop section.

“It is an honor to be able to lead Marines,” Rolf said. “There is a fine line between the jobs we do in the skies and what we do on the ground. During a flight mission, it’s very one-on-one with whoever you are working with. As a division head, there are many different tasks, missions and logistics to deal with. We really learn a lot from our enlisted Marines and staff noncommissioned officers. Working with them keeps us more in touch with what’s going on in the squadron and really helps add to the family atmosphere.”

The family atmosphere in the squadron, and the support from Rolf’s family back home have made this deployment much easier, Rolf said.

“My parents have been unbelievably supportive,” Rolf said. “They keep me in touch with everything going on back home and my dad sends me Ohio State football games to watch. I couldn’t be happier with all the support I’ve had from friends and family.”

Rolf’s wife of three years, Julie, has also tried to ease the difficulties of being away from home, despite her own challenges back in the states.

“She is pregnant with twins, dealing with all of that with little support from me and continuing to put me first,” Rolf said. “She is one tough cookie, definitely stronger than I am, dealing with all of this. She is truly a remarkable military wife. Sometimes I don’t know how she does it.”

After years of focus and self-discipline, Rolf can now enjoy his position and look toward the future. Devotion to his dream, and the pride he takes in what is just a job to some, have been the keys to his success, Eric said.

“Brian accomplished (all of this) on his own initiative and we very proud of (him) being a member of the Marine Corps, the finest combat group in the world,” Eric said. “Brian followed his dream, he has experienced things most of us just read about.”

While Rolf looks toward his future as an aviator, his focus never strays from his current mission.

“It is never far from your mind that we’re helping American people every day,” Rolf said. “By bringing the fight to the enemy, we know that we’re keeping Americans from having to fight on our own soil.”

What started as a dream has turned into a daily mission. Rolf’s dream and his pursuit of it are two examples of the American way, according to Eric.

“As a father, I would suggest that any young American should follow their dream,” Eric said. “To dream and have the freedom to pursue that dream, truly defines this great country.”

Ellie