11-23-05, 08:29 AM
Wednesday, November 23, 2005
ON THE HOME FRONT
Pre-emptive strike:
Fragging prof quits
College teacher suggested soldiers in Iraq should kill superior officers
Posted: November 23, 2005
1:00 a.m. Eastern

The professor who gained national attention for suggesting U.S. soldiers in Iraq kill their superior officers has resigned his teaching post at a New Jersey college, moments before school officials were slated to decide his fate.

The pre-emptive action by adjunct English professor John Daly was taken late yesterday, shortly before an emergency meeting of the board of trustees at Warren County Community College.

"The board was informed of Mr. Daly's decision to resign his adjunct position at WCCC effective immediately," said college president Dr. William Austin.

"I firmly believe that the most precious freedom all Americans share is the First Amendment right of freedom of speech. I am committed to working unceasingly to see that it is preserved for all WCCC students, faculty and staff," he added. "At the same time, there are existing state laws – as well as college policies and procedures – that must be followed to ensure that all members of our college are free and encouraged to exercise their right to free speech without fear of intimidation or retaliation. I am dedicated to protecting and preserving that freedom."

Austin concluded by noting the college would "rededicate ourselves to a review of our current policies and procedures to make certain that we continue to foster an open and collegial learning environment at our institution. I personally pledge to see that tolerance training is included in our next faculty and staff in-service, and to consider a broad range of student input in its development."

The board's meeting last night had been called to discuss how to handle the controversy surrounding an e-mail sent by Daly to one of his students.

As WorldNetDaily reported, the e-mail was a reply to freshman Rebecca Beach for her announcement of a campus program last Thursday featuring decorated Iraq war hero Lt. Col. Scott Rutter.

Daly wrote: "Real freedom will come when soldiers in Iraq turn their guns on their superiors."

His remarks were reminiscent of anti-war protesters in San Francisco who displayed a sign in March 2003 which stated: "We support our troops when they shoot their officers."

Ellie

junker316
11-23-05, 08:38 AM
The Prof got what he deserved. If he wants to " Shot his surperiors " he would go to jail. If he is suggesting that it is " Okay " to kill the superiors of the world, in which he was, then all the shootings nation wide that was conducted by employees would be condoned by him as well. Included in this would be the school shootings, disgruntled workers, and crimnals killing police officers.