PDA

View Full Version : What's Your Best Marine Corps Birthday Celebration Remembrance?

Sparrowhawk
11-10-02, 07:43 AM
AT WAR DURING THE CORPS BIRTHDAY ` 35 YEARS AGO <br />
<br />
<br />
SEEMS LIKE A LONG TIME AGO, BUT TO ME IT WAS ONLY YESTERDAY. <br />
<br />
I have placed this story here for those wishing to respond or share their story...

earlz
11-10-02, 10:14 AM
My first MC birthday was November 10, 1968. I was at P.I. in Platoon 2026. We were alloed to attend an eight man football game, watch the cake being cut, having a decent meal then back to training.

Better memories are yet to come...like tonight when an impromptu bunch a jar heads from WWII, Korea, Vietnam, Bierut (spelling ?), etc gather together to belt a few down.

earlz

Shaffer
11-10-02, 10:24 AM
My first USMC birthday was in Atlantic City, NJ. Had a great time. Had always heard from my father what a great event it was to attend and I was in awe of its elegance.

Semper Fi,
Jerry

Barrio_rat
11-10-02, 10:55 AM
I missed the first two. First one was when I was in boot camp, treated it like it was a Sunday but little else. Second was when I was on DET to Korea, Tent City of Camp Humphreys. Can't say I could have gotten any drunker on the birthday than I did any of the other nights there though. So the first ball I attended was back home, strangely enough. I was on command recruiting so that I could save leave time while my dad recovered from a heart attack. Took a good friend with me. I think it was a treat for her because she liked those kinds of things - though I think she was a little amazed at how drunk we could get and still hold our tact and bearing. LOL. Best ball, would have been my 4th year in. Was a shop party at the house of one of our Sgt's. We had about 70 Marines in our shop and most attended. We were a pretty tight group and it was a fun evening. Though, the last ball I attended was eventful. Our OIC, a rather short man, got up on a chair (p.ss drunk like the rest of us) and shouted out, "IF YOU AIN'T ORDNANCE, YOU AIN'T SH!T!" Well, after he said that, a few of us looked around uneasy like figuring we were gonna de-blouse right there. It all calmed down rather quickley... probably because the Col was there. Guess I enjoyed 'em all. Mostly, I think, I enjoyed the history and tradition of the ball more than the activity of it - Grand and Noble.

Semper Fi and Happy Birthday!

Frank
11-11-02, 06:28 PM
Cam Lo, RVN, 1966 - 3/4 CO, LtCol Masterpool, flew in on a H34, brought us cold beer, formerly hot steaks and formerly frozen ice cream to go with the birthday cake. SgtMaj and FNG Pvt cut the cake with a bayonet. A good time was had by all.

Semper Fidelis, Frank

gyrene79
11-11-02, 10:04 PM
My first one was when I was M.B.Pearl harbor in 79
And the only other one I went to was at M.B. UK.
our co.Gunny had cuban cigars from a bud at Gitmo
and he passed them around man what a smoke

aatkin
11-16-02, 12:16 AM
My first Marine Corp Birthday. As part of a replacement battalion at Camp Pendleton, we bussed to El Toro on the morning of 11/10/1966. We were fed a huge steak for lunch (to this day it is the most memorable steak I ever ate). After lunch we lounged around on the lawn outside the mess hall for a while than were loaded on a big Continental Golden Tail Jet. Next stop, Da Nang via Okinawa.

Semper Fi

Andy

Barndog
11-16-02, 08:43 AM
My first one was in Boot Camp too. Possibly one of the better ones was 1983 - rite before I got out. (at least on paper LOL)
MCAS Cherry Point - standin on a nickle to look over a dime I was so short..... Helped Special Services with 3 Balls that year, which was kinda neat.

The Final one - on 10 Nov - was the Biggie. We who had worked setting them up and such - had the choice to attend the one we wished, and I chose that one. I remember the hanger, but forget the squadron - it was the harrier training unit.

Out of the blue, I see this tall, slender SGTMAJ eyeballing me. I think any good enlisted Marine feels that stare a mile away. He comes walking over my way sharply, and as he comes into view I realize that I know him. SGTMAJ H.G. Sharpe - he was the 1stSgt at I&I C Co 1/24 here in town, where I was sent when my Mother passed away.

I pretty much found out right then and there, what Marines think of other Marines, with whom they've served - regardless of rank.

This Brotherhood is awesome.

Semper FI

Barndog
11-16-02, 08:44 AM
p.s.

Man, did we get drunk.

cyberghostx13
04-03-16, 05:13 PM
Well the one I remember was 1968 on Operation Meade River. Arizona and Dodge City area. We(Foxtrot Co. 2/26) had choppered in from LPH5(USS Princeton) while on OP the Marine Corps flew in steak and potatoes. It was really nice and the food was hot. I ate the steak with my two-edged dagger.

Artemis
05-09-16, 10:57 PM
I would have to say it was the Birthday Ball this past November 2015. I attended a low key event at the local VFW. I had the amazing honor of cutting the cake with a World War II Marine. I don't think it gets much better than that.http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=29956&stc=1http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=29955&stc=1http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=29954&stc=1

advanced
05-10-16, 07:09 AM
Well the one I remember was 1968 on Operation Meade River. Arizona and Dodge City area. We(Foxtrot Co. 2/26) had choppered in from LPH5(USS Princeton) while on OP the Marine Corps flew in steak and potatoes. It was really nice and the food was hot. I ate the steak with my two-edged dagger.

Meade River, I was there as well with the 3/5. We're the ones that were at the Hook.

Rocky C
05-10-16, 08:21 AM
The one I have every year. I hope I get to celebrate many more.

Semper Fidelis.

oldtop
05-10-16, 09:57 AM
My first ball was in Tokyo, Japan, 11-10-1966... I was on R&R in Japan, and all Marines on R&R from RVN were invited to the ball despite our lack of dress uniforms.. we were seated up in a balcony where we could see the entire "show"... afterwards, I got "knee walking, commode hugging" DRUNK with another R&Rer L/Cpl named Lonnie... we had one hell of a good time over the next few days until it was time to go back to Nam....

grtonia
05-20-17, 03:37 PM
The 200th Birthday of our beloved Corps! Celebrated in Hawaii at the Ala Moana Hotel in Honolulu. Stationed at Camp HM Smith at the time