View Full Version : Marine Artist Leaves Fingerprint on World

thedrifter
11-22-05, 02:05 PM
U.S. Marine Corps
Cpl. Willie M. Rockward
Marine Artist Leaves Fingerprint on World

By U.S. Marine Corps Cpl. Heidi E. Loredo
2nd Marine Expeditionary Force (FWD)

CAMP FALLUJAH, Iraq, Nov. 22, 2005 — Before he found fame as the artist who painted the Sistine Chapel, Michelangelo was simply known as Michel.

Michelangelo left a mark in the world of creativity that will never be imitated. Cpl. Willie M. Rockward, armorer, 2nd Marine Headquarters Group, 2nd Marine Expeditionary Force (Forward), strives to do the same with his lifelong passion in art.

Rockward, 24, beamed with creativity and imagination, became interested in comic books for their artistic styles and drawings as he grew older.

“I followed the artists,” said the Houston native. “Some people bought the whole comic book series. If I saw a piece of art in a comic that I liked I’d buy that one comic book, not the whole series.”

Inspired by family members and his middle school art teacher, Rockward incorporated art into his daily routine.

“I wasn’t a disciplined kid,” said Rockward. “The biggest thing that got me in trouble was drawing in class. I’d be taking a math test, and I would draw on the test papers. It’s the same thing in the armory. There are sketches throughout the entire armory.”

As a high school graduate, Rockward was not ready to attend college and instead opted for the discipline the military offered.

“I was hustling my artwork just to have money in my pocket,” said Rockward. “I knew I wasn’t ready for school, but at the same time I knew I needed to do something to get ready for my career in art. Everything I do revolves around the basis of me being an artist in some shape or form.”

Rockward studied art on his own and researched several artists based on their style of drawing.

“I was reading comic books and copying them,” said Rockward. “I thought if I change my drawing a little it’ll be my drawing. Then I realized those weren’t my characters. So I made my own stuff so no one could say I’ve been copying somebody else’s work.”

Once Rockward had the basics of art sketched into his brain he dipped into other styles and combined different forms of artistry into his drawings.

“Graffiti was another influence for me,” said Rockward. “I loved how the lines would flow. I left characters alone, but then I started to miss them. So I took what I learned from graffiti, the stylization of art and making something look eye-catching and flashy and applied it to comic book art.”

As Rockward’s artistic abilities developed, his creative style also transforms.

“I want more realism in my style,” said Rockward. “I want the ability to trick someone’s eyes.”

Combat artist, Gunnery Sgt. Michael D. Fay, II MHG, II MEF (FWD), met Rockward during a visit to the armory. Fay, an accomplished artist himself, said Rockward possesses the most important quality in an artist.

“The number one quality is passion, a passionate love of all things visual,” said Fay. “I saw in Cpl.Rockward’s drawings a passion for rendering and for finding ways to depict shapes with inventive line qualities. I challenged him on the spot to take his passion for rendering to another level, beyond cartoons and tattoo designs. As I spoke to him I saw and sensed his willingness to step outside his comfort zone and challenge himself artistically. I run into plenty of Marines who have talent, who are very good at copying cartoons and designing tattoos, but who won’t stretch themselves past what they’re good at. I think Cpl. Rockward might be the exception.”

The end of Rockward’s enlistment is coming up and he says he’s disciplined enough to take on college as a graphics design and psychology student.

“Artists are very philosophical people,” said Rockward. “The characters a person draws and writes about isn’t different than people in real life. They intrigue me. I want to know what motivates people and what drives them. That’s psychology.”

To Rockward, art encompasses the creation of something from imagination much like creating a weapon in the armory.

“Art to me is like a fingerprint of someone’s mind,” said Rockward. “It’s all coming from their imagination.”

Rockward believes when an artist dies the value of his work rises because it is impossible for another artist to imitate his style.

“It’s the fingerprint of an era,” said Rockward. “He’s in the surroundings observing the environment around him. When you start talking about guys like Michelangelo, Van Gogh, and Picasso, not everybody can do that. [Other artists] don’t have the motivation and the vision those had at the time because they were the originators.”

When he is not fixing weapons for Marines and sailors who might go into harms way, Rockward draws to leave his imprint for the rest of the world to see.

“In art I’m trying to express myself,” said Rockward. “As a comic book artist I’m trying to create something unique. I want to put my fingerprint on the world. I might generate the next Leonardo Da Vinci just like people who influenced those artists.”

Ellie