View Full Version : Wounded Sergeant Fights for a 'Best Friend'

thedrifter
11-20-05, 06:25 AM
Wounded Sergeant Fights for a 'Best Friend' <br />
By Donna St. George <br />
Washington Post Staff Writer <br />
Sunday, November 20, 2005; A01 <br />
<br />
They had trained together for three years in the military and were...

rb1651
11-20-05, 04:23 PM
Man, can I relate to this story! My Dad was a Military Dog Handler in the Air Force for 22 years. The bond that these people have with their dogs is unbelievable.

During Dad's tour of Viet Nam in 68-69, he was stationed at Ton Son Nutt (sp?) Air Force Base. While on patrol one day, they came under a rocket attack, and his dog, Starr, was killed. When we received the tape from him, (the old 8mm reel to reel), you could hear the pain in his voice as he described what happened.

When Dad returned stateside, he was stationed at Lackland Air Force Base, Texas, where he trained the new Handlers and their Dogs until he retired in 1974. Just prior to retirement, he was able to procur one of the dogs that had been rejected, (he had an R tattooed into his right ear, bad hips) and he became our family dog, Sarge, who was with us until his death in 1982.

Sorry to rumble, but my point is this. TSgt Dana and Rex have lived together, fought together, and been wounded together. Come on Air Force, do the right thing!! Let them heal together.

'Nuff said.

Ron