PDA

View Full Version : My visit today with LCpl Seeley

GySgtRet
11-19-05, 08:36 PM
I half expected by the time that I got to Bethesda that LCpl Seeley would not be there. But to my surprise he had not gone yet for home. I found him and his mother in his room relaxing. When I arrived I said my hellos. We discussed what was going on with his leaving for home. He is on a 72 hour string for transportaion to return to Washington state. There has to be coordination for ther receiving facility to accept LCpl Seeley on the other end, well that doesn't seem to be locked on yet. The next apparant chance is for Monday at 05:00 as it was thin morning. He will have possibly only an hour to react to this tiimeline to depart.

After we all chated for a while grandma came up. One of the docs had come in and had done LCpl Seeley's physical therapy for the day and put him in his wheel chair.

LCpl Seeley and I took off for the Navy Exchange. Before going in I stopped outside the exchange and he and I just b*** s&&*d for a while. Then we went in and looked around. We came back out and did more of the same. I took him over to MacDoanls, we had a cup of coffee and did more of the same. Just a couple of Marines chatting. We got to know each other a bit more and talked about life and the war in Iraq. He told me that it isn't all about killing there is a lot of good that goes on over there. He told me about the kids, kids that are just like our kids right here in the USA or anywhere else. He told me that he played games with some of the Iraqi solders. After about two hours Robin , his mother called to let him,now that a great aunt and uncle had arrived to see him.

All in all. I had a very good visit and thing that he enjoyed it also. He did tell me that he will be returning sometime in January for medica evaluation and possibly more surgery. I hope that he does get home for thanksgiving his family back home has been preparing for this for sometime now. It may take him from 2 - 3 days to get back depending on the route and stops that the medvac takes. As of this afternoon it will be a C-130.

That is all that I can think of with my visit. More prayers are still needed for LCPl Seeley and the others.

Semper Fidelis

l

ringoffire
11-20-05, 08:48 AM
Thank you for the updates. I hope LCpl Seeley gets home for Thanksgiving.
It's wonderful to hear that he is able to get out and about. We are still praying for him and the others.

mrbsox
11-20-05, 09:20 AM
Is there any chance of getting his flight plan, once they know ??

I don't understand why 2-3 days, unless they're gonna stuff him in a sea bag next to some Generals pots and pans.
But if he is gonna be stopping along the way, maybe a few can hook up during a layover.

Sempers :marine:

Good news Shawn, and hang tough !!

GySgtRet
11-20-05, 10:49 AM
mrbsox,

Excellent idea. If you call the Marine liaison at 301.295.6111 they may be able to furnish an ittinerary? They are very professinal in the office and seemed to want to help as much as possible. I don't think that he would be with a general pots and pans though this is supposed to be stricktly MEDEVACS. Hey give them a call. They may know something today of his trip if it goes tomorrow. But the last I knew it was a 72 hour string with an hour or less departure to get all of his luggage and stuff. Either way it is supposed to be before Thanksgiving.

Semper Fidelis

marinemom
11-20-05, 05:52 PM
Just got off the phone with Shawn - it is 06:30 tomorrow from Andrews. Unfortunately, it is also a C-130 (and I do remember those ...so does my butt), and Robin will be flying with him to Washngton State.

He is definitely looking forward to being home and being with Amanda, and certainly sounded in fine spirits. Shawn tells me he will be back in late January for additional work on his hand - he will be here for a bit at that time.

So, Ed and Ken, I have volunteered the 3 of us to kidnap him and go to the Globe and Laurel one evening....

GySgtRet
11-20-05, 07:37 PM
:banana: :banana: :banana:

Steve Brooks has updated us on Shawn. HE IS GOING HOME.....!!!!!!!!
As you can tell I am not excited about this or anything. Marinemom I see that you beat me to it but that's ok I like your idea better. I think would probably get away with that when he returns in the near future. What do you think Ken?

Anyway here is Steve Brooks update.

Updated 11/20/05 3:50

This just in: Shawn and Robin will be on a 0500 medevac flight tomorrow morning. They will begin prepping Shawn for the flight at 3:30 AM. No word on how long it will take them to get him to lace>'s. Robin said it could be a day or two before they get there; it just depends on how many stops and transfers they have to make. Shawn has been adjusting to a new splint on his right hand and was able to even dress himself for the last couple of days. His record for standing on his left leg is currently 2 minutes and 20 seconds. Please be praying that the flight goes well for both Robin and Shawn. They will probably have patients stacked 4-5 high and Robin will be in a jump seat for the duration of the flight. That will probably be hard on her back. I can't begin to tell all of you how excited everyone is to have Shawn, Robin and Mom (she is flying back tomorrow on a commercial flight) all home for Thanksgiving. Wish I could be there too.
Thank you all for your ongoing pray and support on our behalf. Shawn still has a very long road ahead of him, but this is another great step forward, especially emotionally.
God Bless,
Steve

hrscowboy
11-20-05, 10:44 PM
Out freekin standing orahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Semper Fi...

GySgtRet
11-21-05, 06:35 AM
I just spoke with Robin. She and Shawn are at the terminal at Andrews AFB Maryland. They should be boarding in a few minutes hopefully...??? You all out there on the Westcoast get ready. There isn't a definite timeline yet. It may take a couple of days.

Semper Fidelis

mrbsox
11-21-05, 07:37 AM
Shawn, Mom...

By the time you read this, you're home and bone tired.
But, please know that your trip has been overseen by Marines (et al) on bended knee.
Now rest well. There has been a 'whole lot of shakin goin on' as I remember C-130s, and it'll probably take a day or so to get your hearing back :banana:
Post us up some pics when time permits.

Semper Fidelis

rb1651
11-21-05, 07:50 AM
By the time I get this posted, the flight should be on its way. It's great to hear that everyone will be home for Thanksgiving. Isn't that what the Holiday is all about???

We're praying for a smooth flight home, and a continued recovery. Please keep us updated once everyone hits the West Coast. :banana:

Ron

captken
11-21-05, 09:50 AM
Just got off the phone with Shawn - it is 06:30 tomorrow from Andrews. Unfortunately, it is also a C-130 (and I do remember those ...so does my butt), and Robin will be flying with him to Washngton State.

He is definitely looking forward to being home and being with Amanda, and certainly sounded in fine spirits. Shawn tells me he will be back in late January for additional work on his hand - he will be here for a bit at that time.

So, Ed and Ken, I have volunteered the 3 of us to kidnap him and go to the Globe and Laurel one evening....

Globe and Laurel it is! Hey...we all serve our country in our own special way. If my country requires me to eat at the Globe and laurel then I'll just have to find the courage to do it.

For those of you not from this area, The Globe and Laurel is an outstanding prime rib restaurant just outside the main gate at Quantico. The owner/manager is a WWII USMC vet who looks/acts younger then most of us do. The restaurant is an magnificant museum of USMC and police department memorabilia.

C-130, eh? Oh man it makes my rear ache and my ears ring just to think about it!

GySgtRet
11-23-05, 05:59 AM
Steve Brooks has given us an update on Shawn and his mom.
THEY ARE BACK IN WASHINGTON STATE !!!!!! Thank you Steve for your update. I hope that you have a great vsit with everybody. I will see you on your return to Bethesda.

Here is what Steve Brooks had to say?

Updated 11/22/05 7:26pm PST

After staying over in San Diego last night, Shawn and Robin are back in Washington State! Shawn has been checked into St. Joseph medical Center in Tacoma and the family has been reunited. They are still doing their initial evaluations on Shawn, so there is no word yet on whether he can join the rest of the family for Thanksgiving. I do however, have his new address:
LCpl Shawn Seeley
St Joseph Medical Center
Rehab Floor Room 319
1717 South J Street
Tacoma, WA 98405

I will pass along more information when I have it, but for know rejoice with us that Shawn's family is together once again.
God Bless,

Steve

:banana: :banana:

garryh123
11-23-05, 06:47 AM
Great news!

CHOPPER7199
11-23-05, 12:59 PM
Great news that they arrived. Would sure like to see a pic. of that reunion. Them prayers sure did work.They are still going out for all. Robin, may you rest well now as you sure deserve it. God bless all.

GySgtRet
11-24-05, 07:42 AM
Chopper,

It is great news. I hope that once they all get settled in that there will be a family photo of everybody together. Happy Thanksgiving to everybody.

Semper Fidelis

:banana: :banana:

GySgtRet
11-28-05, 12:53 PM
Steve Brooks has a very good update on Shawn's homecoming. Thank you Steve for your continued information flow. Comeon Marines give your support to this Marine. We have an address and phone number.

Updated 11/28/2005 7:26am PST

Dear friends,

Just a quick note to tell you all that Shawn was able to be home for most of Thanksgiving Day! He was away from the hospital from 10:00 am to 7:00pm. I was holding off in hopes of sending some pictures,
but that has not worked out. Shawn was also able to go to church this
Sunday and will hopefully have Sundays off from the hospital from this
point forward. If I do get pictures of the family all together, I'll pass
them along. I hope that all of you had a wonderful Thanksgiving. I know
it sure was for Robin, Shawn, Ryan and Chuck.
God Bless, Steve

Updated 11/22/05 7:26pm PST

After staying over in San Diego last night, Shawn and Robin are back in
Washington State! Shawn has been checked into St. Joseph medical Center
in Tacoma and the family has been reunited. They are still doing their initial
evaluations on Shawn, so there is no word yet on whether he can join the
rest of the family for Thanksgiving. I do however, have his new address:

LCpl Shawn Seeley
St Joseph Medical Center
Rehab Floor Room 319
1717 South J Street
Tacoma, WA 98405

I will pass along more information when I have it, but for know rejoice with
us that Shawn's family is together once again.

God Bless,
Steve

hrscowboy
11-28-05, 01:09 PM
ooooooooooorahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Semper Fi

GySgtRet
11-28-05, 01:18 PM
OOPS I forgot to include his phone number it is:

253-627-4100 Ext.1273419 at the hospital and his home address is:

Parents address
25719 198th PL. SE
Covington, WA. 98042

Hey I never professed to be perfect I am just a Gunny..

OOORAH...!!!

Semper Fidelis

GySgtRet
11-29-05, 08:08 PM
Steve Brooks and Robin, LCpl Seeley's mom have sent a link on Shawn Seeley day :

Ed, thought you might like more details on Lance Corporal Shawn Seeley Day.
Respectfully,
Steve

Steve,
Here is the link that I was telling you about earlier.
Robin

The message is ready to be sent with the following file or link
attachments:
Shortcut to:
http://www.ci.covington.wa.us/documents/11-9-05%20Veterans%20Day%20Cele (http://www.ci.covington.wa.us/documents/11-9-05%20Veterans%20Day%20Cele)
bration1.pdf

CHOPPER7199
11-29-05, 09:36 PM
Thanks Gunny For The Number. Talking To Him Now, Or Should Say The Wife Is Now. Sounds Good And Is Happy To Recieve Calls. Will Not Post All He Said, As You People Can Call Him Also. Semper Fi

GySgtRet
11-29-05, 10:52 PM
Chopper7199,

Glad that I could be of service to everybody. I posted the infortmation for Doc Randell too tonight. Address and phone numbers.

GySgtRet
11-30-05, 08:49 AM
Related to this update please goto Update on Doc Randell. He is the corpsman that helped the Marines in Iraq on October 4th when the IED exploded. Doc Randell is at Brooke Army hospital for his prostetic leg.

GySgtRet
12-02-05, 10:28 AM
Steve Brooks has provived an update about Shawn's condition. Thank you Steve for the update...!!!

Ed, Below is some more great news about Shawn.

Dear Friends, I just got this from Robin and wanted to pass it on.

Hi all! Shawn has had an amazing week! He will be able to come home for a
overnight pass this weekend and if all goes well, he should be able to come
home from the hospital on Dec 8th! Even though the fracture isn't
completely healed in his right heel, they have decided to allow him to do
weight-baring as tolerated since sometimes that can encourage bone growth.
This is great news since we also found out Shawn tore 3 out of the 4
tendons in his rotator cuff (lt shoulder) and he won't have to put as much
strain on that shoulder if he can use both feet. He was able to walk 120
steps today with the walker and even walked with a cane! His right hand is
much improved as well. We have been doing deep massage to the palm of his
hand to break away the scar tissue. The hand therapist made a splint for
his hand that forces his fingers to stretch and he can actually move his
fingers about 1/2 inch on his own now! We thank you all for your continued
prayers and support and can definitely see God at work through all of this.
Please continue to pray for Shawn's healing both physically and mentally.
He is really having a hard time being here and not in Iraq with the other
Marines. I will keep you posted how things go once Shawn is home.
Love,
Charles & Robin

rb1651
12-02-05, 11:03 AM
Thanks once again for keeping us updated, Gunny. That is really great news. As per Robin's request, thoughts and prayers will continue.

Ron

GySgtRet
12-02-05, 12:13 PM
On the last visit I had with Shwn he could barely move his fingers on his right hand. The right heel was all but forgotten because of the pain. This is really hugh strides as to compaired on November 19th.