PDA

View Full Version : Today’s Marines are just as tough as predecessors

thedrifter
11-18-05, 12:35 PM
Today’s Marines are just as tough as predecessors
By BOB LASHER
Staff writer

On the evening of Nov. 10, the United States Marine Corps celebrated its 230th birthday and 100 Marines, wives and special guests attended the party at the Balboa Club. A great time was had by all.

The host, Col. Tom Donnelly (ret.), opened the program with his usual firm welcome, a short prayer and a thank-you to his wife, Evie, plus Lt. Dan Rankin, his wife, Joan, and all who helped make the celebration a success.

A filmed welcome from the Commandant and Marine Sergeant Major followed featuring the heroics of Staff Sgt. Cassidy in Iraq and stressing the commitment of the Marine Corps to any action deemed necessary.

Retired Army Gen. Tom Arwood recounted the many times he has enjoyed attending Marine birthday parties all over the world. He followed with a report on activities at the Hot Springs Village Veterans Memorial. Arwood has chaired the progress of the memorial since its beginning.

"More than 2,600 bricks now adorn the memorial, each imprinted with the name of a veteran," he said. "Many of the old-time verterans were reluctant to get involved at first, their reason being they did not wish to relive those days.

"In this past year more and more have joined in making the memorial a success."

Dr. Stanley Josef, a local cardioligist, was recognized. Dr. Josef’s son is a Marine lieutenant on active dury in Iraq.

Following the singing of the national anthem, the service songs – particularly The Marine Hymn, Staff Sgt. Marcus Suggs delivered the main address.

Suggs enlisted in the Marine Corps in 1992 and served in the Marine Forces Pacific from June, 1999 through September 2003. He served in Iraq in the area known as The Triangle of Death from November 1994 through last March.

He began by saying in a strong voice: "I am extremely grateful to be here with you all tonight. I consider it my greatest honor to be here and celebrate the birthday of our beloved Corps."

He detailed the fight which began Nov. 8 in Fallujah. The main goal was to secure the city and destroy the insurgents once and for all. Marines joined Army troops for the assault, which ended four days later.

Suggs emphasized the Marines who fought in that battle had enlisted for the most part after the Sept. 11, 2001.

"I have talked with many people, including Col. Donnelly, about the fact that veterans of earlier wars paved the way for the present generation now fighting in Iraq.

"The big question in the minds of Americans has been, could the Marines of today have the same mettle as the Marines before them?

"Are the Marines of today made of the same stuff as those before them after being spoiled by all of the video games and other distractions?

"Are the Marines made of the same caliber?

"I can answer that emphatically! Yes, they are. As long as there is a United States Marine Corps, I know you and I and our children will enjoy the security those before us have enjoyed. I have seen it firsthand and can assure you that you are in good hands with the youth of today."

The festivities closed with the traditional cutting of the birthday cake with the saber and the recognition of the oldest Marine and the youngest Marine present.

Carl Westring, at age 84, a former Corsair fighter pilot in World War II was the oldest Marine and typified the Marine of that era.

Ellie