PDA

View Full Version : Fallen USS Arizona Marines honored at Pearl Harbor

thedrifter
11-17-05, 07:58 AM
Fallen USS Arizona Marines honored at Pearl Harbor
Marine Forces Pacific
Story by:Lance Cpl. Ethan Hoaldridge

U.S. MARINE CORPS FORCES, PACIFIC, CAMP H. M. SMITH, Hawaii (Nov. 16, 2005) -- The toll of a small brass bell resonates across the hallowed waters of Pearl Harbor. The snapping of colors whips though the wind.

The echo of a rifle volley touches the hearts of everyone who came together to pay their respects to the fallen USS Arizona Marines at the base of a newly erected 36-foot flagstaff and monument, Nov. 14.

Col. John H. Earle, USMC (Ret), Lt. Gen. John F Goodman, U.S. Marine Corps Forces, Pacific, and Laura Brent unveiled the seven-sided base, which displays engraved bronze plaques bearing the names of all the Marines that died aboard the USS Arizona on Dec. 7, 1941.

Mounted to the base of the flagstaff are steel pieces from the Arizona’s original hull used as rebar in the concrete base. A piece of steam pipe from the superstructure is mounted on the base of the flagstaff, which stands in between the USS Bowfin Submarine Museum and the USS Arizona Visitor’s Center.

Of the 15 survivors of the attack, there are only two still living.

Earle was a 26-year-old commanding officer of the Marine detachment aboard the Arizona. He had just assumed command and went home to be with his wife on Dec. 6, 1941. He awoke the next morning from echoes of Japanese bombs in Pearl Harbor.

He immediately rounded up the Marines attached to the USS Tennessee, his former command, and hopped in a taxi headed to Pearl Harbor to get in the fight.

“When I saw my wife a few days later, she could hardly recognize me, because of all the soot and ashes,” said Earle.

Now 90 years old, Earle reflected on his fallen comrades with respect.

“It’s a great feeling to honor my shipmates from long ago, and it’s long overdue,” said the Honolulu resident.

Earle, along with many other Marines, paused during the ceremony as the names of the fallen Marines aboard the Arizona were read, and a bell was rung in honor of each.

The Marines in attendance also remembered those who are giving their lives today while fighting in the War on Terrorism.

Special guest speaker, Gen. Michael W. Hagee, Commandant of the Marine Corps, made a connection with those that pay the ultimate price for our freedom and protection in his remarks.

“We use history to inspire and educate. The Marines that we’re honoring today do both,” said Gen. Hagee. “Marines even today don’t want to die, but are willing to.”

The general gave a simple explanation for this statement.

“It’s for the shipmate on their right and the shipmate on their left, and because they believe in something bigger than themselves,” he continued.

This has always been true throughout the history of the Corps.

“The Marines that we honor today truly set the standard that we try to uphold today,” said Hagee.

Ellie