PDA

View Full Version : Is Our Money Next to go Godless?

thedrifter
11-16-05, 07:13 AM
Is Our Money Next to go Godless?
Posted By Bobby Eberle On November 14, 2005 at 7:20 am

First prayer was taken out of schools. Next it was being pulled from football games and graduations. The latest attack on faith in America was an effort by atheist Michael Newdow to have the words “under God” removed from the Pledge of Allegiance. Now, he is at it again, and this time the focus is the money in your pocket.

Michael Newdow came to national prominence when he filled a lawsuit on behalf of his daughter claiming that reciting the Pledge of Allegiance which includes the words “under God” violated the students’ religious liberty.

The often criticized Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals agreed with Newdow and issued a ruling stating that recitation of Pledge of Allegiance was unconstitutional. The ruling was appealed to the U.S. Supreme Court which dismissed the case. However, the Supreme Court justices cited Newdow’s lack of custody of his daughter as the reason for their dismissal. Thus, the prime question on the constitutionality of “under God” remains undecided.

Several Supreme Court justices did comment, however, on the overall merits of the case and the Pledge of Allegiance itself. Justices Rehnquist, Thomas, and O’Connor wrote that “the pledge does not violate the First Amendment, which prohibits the establishment of religion by the government.” Rehnquist wrote:

To give the parent of such a child a sort of “heckler’s veto” over a patriotic ceremony willingly participated in by other students, simply because the Pledge of Allegiance contains the descriptive phrase “under God,” is an unwarranted extension of the establishment clause, an extension which would have the unfortunate effect of prohibiting a commendable patriotic observance.

Now, media outlets are reporting that Newdow will file suit this week in which he will ask a federal court to order the removal of the motto “In God We Trust” from U.S. coins and currency. According to the report, Newdow says that the motto “violates the religious rights of atheists who belong to his ‘First Amendment Church of True Science.’”

Isn’t a church supposed to be a place of worship? If so, can someone please tell me to whom the prayers go in an atheist church. If it is to “true science,” then I’m afraid these folks are wasting their time. I don’t recall “true science” answering anyone’s prayers.

America is a land of rights and freedoms. It’s time that the freedoms and rights of God-fearing Americans are not only protected, but also respected. If we continue to push God away from America, then one day, He might actually leave. Then, the country will truly be lost.

Ellie

junker316
11-16-05, 07:43 AM
I watched this idiot on a channel on the TV the other night. He was complaining that with him as an atheist that he is appaulled that " IN GOD WE TRUST " is on American Money. He says that he has won...