PDA

View Full Version : Escape from Alcatraz!

thedrifter
11-15-05, 12:47 PM
November 21, 2005
Escape from Alcatraz!
Retired gunny makes difficult swim to benefit injured Marines

Jay Platt says it’s entirely possible to escape from Alcatraz. In fact, he did it with his hands and feet tied.

Platt, a retired gunnery sergeant, swam the 1½ miles from Alcatraz Island to San Francisco on Nov. 7 with his hands and feet bound to raise awareness for the Injured Marine Semper Fi Fund.

“It was a way to help Marines coming back wounded,” he said.

Platt got the idea from fitness guru Jack La Lanne, who had previously made the swim. Since Platt was a water survival instructor in the Corps, he was inspired to follow in La Lanne’s wake.

Platt said most people thought his plan was impossible, but “people who knew me really well weren’t surprised.”

That’s because the gunny is no stranger to adapting and overcoming. In 1998, he lost his left eye to cancer and was medically retired after 15 years in the Corps.

“I’ve got a glass eye,” Platt said. “Although I didn’t lose a limb in combat, I can relate to what these [injured] Marines are going through,” he said.

Platt said he swam the cold, choppy route in 1 hour, 54 minutes, despite vomiting three times.

“I think the hands and feet being tied is a great metaphor for everyone,” Platt said. “As long as you keep pushing forward, you can do anything.”

— Beth Zimmerman

Ellie

Osotogary
11-15-05, 02:49 PM
That's quite a feat considering the severe currents, water temperature and shark breeding grounds (heading west, just outside the Golden Gate Bridge, north and south along the California coastline) of the Great White Shark.
Here's hoping that the Injured Marine Semper Fi Fund benefits 100 fold as a result of retired Marine Gunnery Sergeant Platt's efforts.

marinemom
11-15-05, 06:03 PM
Just proves that Gunnery Sergeants can do ANYTHING!!!

Three cheers for Gunny Platt!!!!