PDA

View Full Version : News Briefs

thedrifter
11-15-05, 12:25 PM
November 14, 2005
News Briefs

One sexy leatherneck

Pvt. Jake Lybrook doesn’t rate a ribbon or medal for his newest award. But it’s improved his chances of finding a date.

Lybrook, a 21-year-old Marine, is one of America’s 50 sexiest bachelors, according to Cosmopolitan magazine.

His mother, Robin Edinger, nominated Lybrook for the contest. “He is a good-looking kid, but I don’t view him as sexy or hot,” she said. “He’s a cutie-pie to me.”

Lybrook had nothing to do with it. He was in training with his unit — Lima Company, 3rd Battalion, 6th Marines — when his mother learned that he had been chosen.

Winners of the annual contest are usually treated to a round of parties and media appearances, but Lybrook was busy with training and, in August, deployed to Iraq.

Before he left, he found time to pose for a photographer. Photos in the magazine and on its Web site are accompanied by tidbits about the bachelors. Lybrook’s includes a quote on why he joined the Corps.

Cosmopolitan provides an e-mail link to reach the bachelors. That’s presented a bit of a problem for Lybrook, whose unit is fighting insurgents in western Iraq.

Edinger said that her son has received 300 e-mails from women. “He tells me, ‘I don’t want to be mean, but we’re really busy over here.’”

She offered to help him respond. “He said, ‘No way, because some of them are sending pictures.’”

Running to honor the fallen

Marines from 3rd Platoon, Charlie Company, 4th Reconnaissance Battalion, ran in the Marine Corps Marathon this year in honor of their fallen comrades.

The reservists made the decision while they were still in Fallujah, Iraq, after their platoon suffered two casualties, said Capt. David Herron, the platoon’s commander.

The platoon returned home with three injured Marines, two of whom were amputees. Both the amputees ran the first and last mile of the marathon on prosthetic legs.

“We stayed offensive and aggressive to the enemy during the whole deployment,” Herron said. “This is our last mission to honor those who will never be able to run a marathon.”

The Marines ran the Oct. 30 marathon wearing red shirts that read, “Texas Recon” on the front and “in memory of Jeremiah Kinchen and Steven Gill” on the back.

San Clemente guard duty

San Clemente, Calif., now has a Marine permanently standing post.

According to a press release from the Heritage of San Clemente Foundation, city officials unveiled a Marine Monument at Park Semper Fi on Nov. 12.

Park Semper Fi is on a hill overlooking the Pacific Ocean. The monument consists of an 11-foot bronze statue of a Marine in dress blues saluting a flag and looking out over the ocean.

Welcome back, hat

Marines who served a tour on the drill field as far back as the 1960s visited Marine Corps Recruit Depot San Diego Oct. 20-22 for the first West Coast Drill Instructor Reunion, according to a Corps news release.

As many as 112 retired drill instructors and more than 150 active-duty DIs shared drill duty stories, the release said.

“We wanted to show our appreciation for all drill instructors — past, present and future — and to allow an opportunity to renew old friendships and make new friends,” said Sgt. Maj. Frank E. Pulley, depot and Western Recruiting Region sergeant major.

Events included a graduation review and memorial service in honor of fallen DIs and corpsmen.

Staff Sgt. Darrick Lowery, a senior drill instructor from the depot’s 2nd Battalion, said a retired drill instructor noticed that a DI took off his cover while his recruits were in a classroom.

“They didn’t do that back then. He said they didn’t want the recruits to think they were on the same level,” Lowery said.

The reunion reassured the former drill instructors that the Marines who currently sport the campaign cover are still the same breed.

“They come from the same mold,” said retired Sgt. Maj. Gary Truscott, a former drill instructor. “They still wear their covers too low and lean back too far when they march.”

Congrats from far away

Master Sgt. Mike Holcomb almost missed his son’s graduation from boot camp.

Holcomb, who is deployed to Iraq, would have missed Pfc. Chris Phibbs’ walk across the Peatross Parade Deck on Oct. 21. But modern technology sent a telecast of Phibbs’ graduation from Parris Island, S.C., to Al Asad Air Base, according to a Corps press release.

While in Iraq, Holcomb had worked with the Freedom Calls Center, which specializes in connecting Marines in Iraq with their families in the United States, according to Chris’ mother, Tammy Holcomb.

With help from Good To Go Video and Parris Island’s Computer Systems Support Facility, the teleconference went into motion.

Holcomb gave his son words of encouragement from thousands of miles away that sent tears down some faces.

“No matter what happens, just know that what you did today is nothing short of amazing,” he told his son.

Take our poll

On Nov. 14, a random selection of our active-duty subscribers will be mailed our annual Military Times Poll. This comprehensive poll takes the pulse of the military on issues ranging from job satisfaction to religion to the war in Iraq.

If you receive a questionnaire, please take five minutes to complete it and drop it in the mail. We pay the postage and guarantee anonymity.

Results will be published in our Jan. 9 issue.

Correction

An article in the Oct. 31 edition of Marine Corps Times (“A missed opportunity,” Page 15) incorrectly named the company commanded by Capt. Phillip Ash of 3rd Battalion, 7th Marines. He is commander of Kilo Company.

thedrifter
11-15-05, 12:26 PM
November 14, 2005 <br />
News Breaks <br />
<br />
Marines accused of rape in Philippines <br />
<br />
Five U.S. Marines who participated in recent exercises were barred Nov. 3 from leaving the Philippines after being accused...

thedrifter
11-15-05, 12:29 PM
November 14, 2005 <br />
Around the Corps <br />
Compiled from military and other public sources. <br />
<br />
Iraq <br />
<br />
Insurgent leader detained in Ramadi <br />
<br />
Coalition forces detained a high-level insurgent leader in...

thedrifter
11-15-05, 12:44 PM
November 21, 2005
State’s oldest Marine

Marines are known for taking care of other Marines. This year, Kansas took care of one of its leathernecks.

Kansas Gov. Kathleen Sebelius and other natives of the Wheat State honored the state’s oldest Marine on Veterans Day.

According to state officials, 106-year-old Jud Wagner is more than the state’s oldest Marine. “He’s the only living World War I vet in Kansas,” said Megan Ingmire, the state’s assistant press secretary.

This was the third year Kansas has held the Governor’s Veterans Day Ceremony. The governor thanked all veterans for their service while honoring Wagner.

Wagner couldn’t attend the event, but his family, which includes three generations of military service, accepted coins featuring the Kansas state seal from the governor on his behalf.

“As governor and as a Kansan, I am proud of Jud Wagner’s service,” Sebelius said. “On Veterans Day this year … we honor Jud and his fellow veterans.”

Special delivery

One leatherneck deployed to Iraq with 2nd Battalion, 2nd Marines, almost missed an important milestone in his son Benjamin’s life: his birth.

Thanks to the Internet, Lance Cpl. Matthew J. Hutchison watched his son’s arrival from halfway around the world.

According to a Nov. 8 Marine Corps news release, Hutchison, 25, toured the Ohio hospital where his wife would later give birth before he deployed. The couple asked the staff at Akron City Hospital if it were possible to view the birth via Web broadcast.

Hospital staff swung into action, and after six weeks of planning, which included coordination with Regimental Combat Team 8, they were ready for Benjamin’s arrival.

Benjamin’s grandparents videotaped the birth, and the hospital staff streamed digital video to a secure Web site Hutchison could access in Iraq.

“This was a learning experience for all of us, and we were very happy to do this for the Hutchisons,” said Kimberly Holm, a member of the communications team that made the broadcast possible.

“Now that we have a process in place, we will be able to do the same for others serving overseas.”

Heated competition

Staff Sgt. Joseph Taylor is on his way to the title “Commander of the Grill.”

The Marine Corps Air Station Cherry Point, N.C., Marine edged out eight other contestants in the air station semifinals of Weber’s first grilling competition created for the men and women of the Corps.

Weber, a charcoal and grill manufacturer, will host grilling competitions across the United States through Dec. 16, with Taylor and the other 11 semifinalists to be flown to New York City to compete in the national Command of the Grill finals, which will be held May 26 during Fleet Week.

The company is trying to raise awareness of charities that assist Marines.

“SSgt. Taylor’s Terrible Teriyaki” recipe will be included in Weber’s “Command of the Grill” cookbook, available next year. The book’s proceeds will benefit charities that help Marines.

Take our poll

On Nov. 14, a random selection of our active-duty subscribers will be mailed the annual Military Times Poll. This comprehensive poll takes the pulse of the military on issues ranging from job satisfaction to religion to the war in Iraq.

If you receive a questionnaire, please take five minutes to complete it and drop it in the mail. We pay the postage and guarantee anonymity.

Results will be published in our Jan. 9 issue.

Huey flies to snipers’ aid

A UH-1 Huey and its crew recently showed what a versatile helicopter can do.

According to a Nov. 6 Marine Corps news release, a scout sniper with 3rd Battalion, 6th Marines, was shot in the head by an enemy sniper during an exchange of fire in northwestern Iraq. The Marine needed immediate medical treatment, but casualty evacuation helicopters were miles away.

However, an AH-1W Super Cobra attack helicopter and a Huey were providing close-air support nearby.

“When we got the word that it was a head wound, we thought it was hopeless,” said Gunnery Sgt. Russel Reale, the senior crew chief aboard the Huey.

Hoping to save their injured comrade, Marines radioed for the emergency casualty evacuation. The Huey landed under the watchful eyes of the Cobra, and ground Marines transported the sniper a short distance to meet the helicopter.

The Marine survived the flight and is recovering from his wound stateside.

“Timely and effective communication between the ground guys and us saved this guy’s life,” said 1st Lt. Page Payne of Austin, one of the Huey pilots who evacuated the wounded Marine. “Within 15 minutes of us shooting [at insurgents], we had him and were ready to go.”

Out of Africa

A South African mother and son reunited on U.S. soil after his graduation from boot camp.

After living in separate countries for three years, Estelle Klopper and her son, Pvt. Andre Beukes, 20, embraced at Beukes’ Nov. 4 graduation from Marine Corps Recruit Depot San Diego, according to a Marine Corps news release.

The two hadn’t seen each other since Klopper sent her two sons to live with their father in Michigan.

“I had to let my two boys go to America. … I just could not afford the standard of schooling that I believed they deserved,” she said.

“If I ever have a wife and kids, I will be able to support them better here [in the United States],” Beukes said. “I can always go back to South Africa on vacation or something, but I would never go back and live there; it is too unstable.”

Before he graduated, Beukes planned to surprise his mother by visiting her in South Africa. He saved money during recruit training to make the trip.

But his mother had her own surprise up her sleeve. She started planning a trip to the United States when her son left for boot camp.

“In one of his e-mails before he went into boot camp, he was telling me about things, and he said, ‘Ma, imagine if you could be at the graduation to see me in my uniform,’” Klopper said.

thedrifter
11-15-05, 12:45 PM
November 21, 2005 <br />
Video shows downed helicopter in Iraq <br />
<br />
Video posted on an Islamic Web site Nov. 8 purported to show a U.S. helicopter downed by al-Qaida insurgents in western Iraq, along with...