PDA

View Full Version : Marines Volunteer for Habitat for Humanity

thedrifter
11-14-05, 06:41 PM
11/14/05
Marines Volunteer for Habitat for Humanity
WTOC, GA

Our servicemen and -women make sacrifices every day for our country. But many of them also go above and beyond the call of duty in our communities.

Nail by nail, Marines with Marine All Weather Fighter Attack Squadron 5-33 are improving life for Stanley Lawton.

"I always thought, treat people as you would want to be treated," said volunteer Ryne Barker. "So if I were in need of a new roof, I'd want someone to help me put it on, too. So I decided to come out and help."

For these Marines, it's not enough to serve our country and protect our freedoms. They want to do more. "We're paid to serve, so that doesn't mean it's a Monday through Friday job," said the squadron's Robert Sell. "You come out and help the community and whatnot. The guy needs some help, so we give it to him."

"They don't know how much I appreciate them," said homeowner Stanley Lawton. "I was looking for the roof to be done years ago. I finally got around to it and I appreciate all they're doing for me this morning."

Lawton has been sick, and is so thankful for Habitat for Humanity and these Marines for lending a hand. "There isn't any way I could have done it by myself especially, with my health," he said.

But the Marines say they're just happy they could help out. "Beaufort does a good job supporting the military, supporting our squadron and they take care of our families while we're deployed," said James Walker. "This is one of the small ways we can give back to our community."

And these Marines are a big help for Habitat too. "This cuts down on our manpower that we can be used on other jobs," said the group's Jerry Whitman.

Although many of these Marines will be deploying to Iraq soon, they're making a difference in our community now.

The squadron has volunteered with Habitat for Humanity before. If you'd like to get involved, call your local Habitat chapter.

Reported by: Jaime Dailey, jdailey@wtoc.com

Ellie