PDA

View Full Version : Mohammad Ali's Medal of Freedom: Who's Next, Jane Fonda?

thedrifter
11-14-05, 06:37 AM
Mohammad Ali's Medal of Freedom: Who's Next, Jane Fonda?
Written by Resa LaRu Kirkland
Monday, November 14, 2005

Oh, the beauteous words we use to describe freedom! And she is indeed worth it, or at least used to be. The ***** of it is, in order for the words to carry any weight, you must back them up with action, lest you look like a wretched lip-server. And action is where we have--of late--fallen terribly, terribly short.

There was a day when traitors were hanged, not honored. There was a day when a treacherous hand was removed, not salved. There was a day when a coward hung his head in shame instead of strutting arrogantly before crowds and contingencies.

And there was a day when the highest award that could be bestowed upon a civilian meant something noble. But 2005 marks the year of the quiet, sorrowful passing of this gentle dignity--without so much as a whimper.

To be fair, there have been many recipients in the past who were given the Medal of Freedom to please the PC beast rather than because it had been earned. At each of these, I swallowed my disgust yet again at our gutless bowing to evil. But this time is different; this time I remember.

I was too young to have known him by any other name besides the Muslim handle he bequeathed upon himself. When my dad explained that he had changed his name, I wondered how his mother had felt about that, and if it had stung her to be so rudely slapped in the face.

You couldn’t swing a dead cat back in the early 1970’s without seeing him on TV--commercials, cameo appearances, boxing matches--all filled with his obnoxious posturing and narcissistic back-slapping. My dad would smile and say, “He’s just being a good showman.” My dad admired showmanship, and was if nothing else very fair and long-suffering when it came to judging his fellow man. And besides, he truly was a gifted athlete.

Yes, I’d thought, I suppose he is. After all, you don’t get gold medals in the Olympics for nothing. The man’s claims of being the greatest did indeed have merit.

But the cradle of my youth was played out against another backdrop in the 70’s--Vietnam and the lies of the Cronkites of the world about the rightness of that war and the honor of our men fighting it. My dad set me straight on that one, too--mainly because he knew that the media and the schools were lying and would continue to do so. As I melded the two--war and the boxer--into a brain still forming and deciding, that is where any thoughts about Muhammad Ali’s greatness came to a screeching and thoroughly disgusted halt.

Now my dad had been born and raised in the old “Solid South.” He’d been brought up with words such as “n*gger, pick-a-ninny, spade, coon, etc.” He despised them all, and forbad them from being spoken in our home. He remembered the white line on the bus, the “colored” bathrooms and drinking fountains, and the sweet, dignified “mammies” who were the neighborhood grandmas but still had to wait until after the men and the children were served in the local Five and Dime. This never sat well with my dad, and he taught these lessons to us with quiet resolve and decorum. So far as I could tell, he was the only one in his family of southern die-hards to be raised to accept that way but who chose to reject it.

He was also a student of history and in particular, of the costs of war. He was never more quiet and thoughtful than when he was studying a battle or campaign, never more spiritual than when he spoke of a fallen warrior. What men were willing to both give and give up for that which they believed was sacred to him. He passed such reverence on to his children, who learned more from his manner than from his words.

It was he who first asked me to look at a hippy on a street one day and compare him to a nearby soldier. He had me list the differences, and describe my feelings just from what I saw. He smiled as I told him, and then remarked, “Now, given what you see and feel when you look at these two men, whom would you trust to lead you and tell you the truth?”

It was absolutely, positively, no contest. It was my first solid step toward a lifelong love of military history and the magnificent American warrior. Those who fight so we don’t have to, are the favorite of all God’s creatures.

Which means that those who refuse to fight are the most loathsome of God’s creations. Sure, we all have the right to choose; that right is secured by the aforementioned favorite--it is sacred to him…it is why he fights. However, accountability for the choice not to fight means you may receive medals for use of free speech, but not for freedom. You have given nothing to the cause, and taken the hard-earned gift for all it is worth. Muhammad Ali made a spectacle of refusing service in Vietnam at a time when we were still winning. He was a greedy taker of the gift and a selfish coward in its defense. It sickened me then only slightly less than it does now.

I don’t want to hear about his making a religious choice. Of all the religions on earth, Islam is the Religion of War. Women proudly raise up suicide bombers, give toddlers guns, and praise allah whenever the fruit of their womb is reduced to mush--so long as he takes a few innocent shoppers with him. Ali was hardly a devotee of the religion; his sexual escapades are on par with Clinton’s. But when it served him--not the other way around--he pulled the religious card. He was a coward, a traitor, and a black mark on the history of a great nation. And all the Olympic medals won’t change the fact that when his nation needed him to do more than dance around the square ring--when it needed him to put up or shut up--when it needed him to truly act on its behalf, he failed miserably. That is the Muhammad Ali I came to know and despise.

You earned the gold medal for being the best boxer on earth. No one can take that away from you. But the Medal of Freedom? No way. You may wear it around your neck, but you did nothing to earn it, and in the cold gray dawn of morning, no number of blathering reporters can ever change the fact that you have to face God with that eternal lie.

Keep the faith, bros, and in all things courage.

About the Writer: Resa LaRu Kirkland, otherwise known as "the War Chick," recieves mail at resalaru@warchick.com.

Ellie

OLE SARG
11-14-05, 08:20 AM
He hit the damn nail right on the head!!!!!!! Made me want to puke when Bush put that around his neck. I thought maybe, indeed rottencrotch fonda would be the next one to get a medal - she needs one RIGHT UP HER ASES!!!!!

SEMPER FI,

Wyoming
11-14-05, 08:30 AM
This one earlier hit my email trail.

Ole Sarge wrote - 'He hit the damn nail right on the head!!!!!!!'

I wondered about that meownself, except at the end of the missive, it describes the writer as "the War Chick".

Seems these days you can't tell folks apart when they use those new style names.

junker316
11-14-05, 10:06 AM
In my early years of life I remember Ali as one of the best boxers ever. I never understand why a man with such a touch of realizism would back down when called to the front. Being born in 1970 I was just beginging life. Then as the years rolled by I would catch articles about Ali and his rise and fall in the baxing areana. With his being band from boxing in the US and all that jazz. Tempting as it might be to address that, yes indeed and actions, he was coward. He also had the right to excerise his Contituional Rights. Which he did. He noticed that others were doing it as well but with him being a well reknown boxer that Americans looked up to made his Actions hit Amerca the hardest. Up and coming others like Elvis Presley served. There were fottball stars that enlisted and otehr athletes as well. So why not Ali? After researching and coming to this conclusion...he was always a mouth. He tried to defeat his opponents before the fight by messing with their heads. He had hands that were fast and lethal and his foot work was just as deadly. But it was his mouth and attitude that didn't match. His beliefs were of Muslum style, like Malcom X. Ali wanted to show the world that no-one could make him, or force him as he stated in a few of the articles that I read, to serve in a WAR that he did not believe in. But we should not portray him with the actions of the traitorist Jane Fonda, who turned in many of our service men to the enemy. What she did is far worse than just refusing to go to War as a belief. He didn't turn any-one in to any enemy. He didn't gain any-one's trust just to hand them over to the enemy so that they would be tortured and killed. He just refused to do his civic duty and fight for the nation that he was born in, raised in, and given a chance of freedom in. He is concidered a coward for not going to pull his wieght during the War. But to me it was also the beginning of what we are going through now. How we have other nationals here refusing to let America be America and refusing to pull their wieght but instead trying to change the way America does business.

There has been Emails sent around the world numerous times about Jane Fonda and her traitoristical actions. I can't remember any on Ali.