PDA

View Full Version : Marines add page to history, celebrate 230th with Iraqi Army

thedrifter
11-14-05, 06:18 AM
Marines add page to history, celebrate 230th with Iraqi Army
II Marine Expeditionary Force (FWD)
Story by:Cpl. Heidi E. Loredo

CAMP FALLUJAH, Iraq(Nov. 10, 2005) -- As Nov. 10 comes and goes, the Marine Corps will grow another year older and add another year of eventful history to its already legendary past.

Marines from Military Transition Team 7, II Marine Expeditionary Force (FWD), and members of the 7th Division, Iraqi Security Force together celebrated 230 years since the birth of a distinguished fighting force in modern history and remembered the blessings of freedom received due to its past.

Maj. Gen. S.T. Johnson, commanding general, II MEF (FWD), was present to celebrate the day with the team, whose major role in Iraq is to train Iraqi commanders and their troops for their eventual takeover of military operations here.

Throughout Marine Corps bases worldwide, officers brandished the ceremonial Marmaluke sword and cut a slice of cake. Here aboard Camp Fallujah, the team did the same, however the ceremonial cake was not cut by a shiny sword in a fancy hall or by a Marine.

Instead, a worn out military knife was used held by the rough hand of the ceremony’s guest of honor, Maj. Gen. Hussin Abduli Hekmat, 7th Division commanding general.

Before the ceremony commenced, Col. John E. Stone, ISF, 7th Division, senior advisor, explained to the guests the meaning of the ceremony they were about to witness and thanked them for being a part of this birthday. The representation of both nations served as a reminder of a commitment to fight for Iraq’s freedom and security.

An Iraqi interpreter translated the ceremonial remarks to the soldiers and blessings were given by a chaplain and from a reading from the Quran.

“To the men of 7th Division, this is a simple version of a ceremony conducted by generations of Marines,” said Stone. “The rifle and boots symbolize the thousands of Marines who lost their lives in pursuit of freedom. It’s a special meaning here though because it symbolizes Marines whose lives were lost in Operation Iraqi Freedom. It serves as a grim reminder that freedom isn’t free.”

Stone thanked the soldiers for their participation on a day where Marines reflect on those who gave the ultimate sacrifice for and those who will wear the scars of war for the rest of their lives.

Only a year ago most of the Marines present were sitting in a fancy hall, dressed in their crisp dress blues, wearing medals and ribbons, surrounded by Marines and eating off dinner plates. This year they stood outside of the ISF compound, dressed in dusty desert utility uniforms, bearing pistols, surrounded by Iraqi soldiers and eating off paper plates.

“I am very thankful to all of you for honoring us with your presence on this birthday,” said Stone to the soldiers. “This is truly a unique experience with the ISF and Marines being here on this birthday. Today all over the world, whether it be back home, serving on a warship steaming across an ocean or serving along side members of the Iraqi Army conducting combat operations, for peace and stability in Iraq, Marines will take time to celebrate this most hallowed day.”

General Hekmat was honored to be part of the Marines’ ceremony to commemorate the birth of the Corps and to pay homage to those who gave their lives while struggling to create stability in an unstable world.

“In the name of God, most gracious and most merciful, most respectful friends, troops, guests, peace be on you and God have mercy,” said Hekmat. “On behalf of me and all of the division, we are very happy to join you in this ceremony in the memory of your 230th birthday of the Marine Corps. I feel very lucky to work with you. Side by side, both Iraqi Army and Marines are able to do a very courageous operation against terrorism. Me and all the division introduce for you the very respect and thanks for what you did to this beloved division to reach to a high level. Congratulations, and we are very happy to join you. I will wish for you the next years will be a good demonstration for the whole world and to defeat world terrorism.”

The youngest Marine present was Pvt. Brent Snyder, a Seattle native, who was born Dec. 13, 1984. Snyder, an administrative clerk from II Marine Expeditionary Force, Headquarters Group, II MEF (FWD), deployed to Iraq to help train the ISF.

“This has been a different experience for me,” said Snyder. “The Iraqi soldiers just finished their holy season of Ramadan, and I was lucky enough to experience that. Today they were able to see our customs and traditions. It’s a give and take experience.”

Stone concluded the observance and told his Marines and soldiers to enjoy the day and renew their honor, courage and commitment to fight for the nation’s freedom and security.

Ellie