PDA

View Full Version : Students fly with Marines

thedrifter
11-11-05, 12:17 PM
Students fly with Marines
By Sarah D. Wire, Staff Writer.
Posted November 11, 2005.

A passenger, dual-engine plane flown in turn by six excited students and a talkative Marine circled the MU campus Wednesday morning. The plane, chartered by the U.S. Marine Corps, gave several students their first chance to be at the controls of an aircraft.

“The purpose is to come for a flight, but learn more,” said Capt. Ryan Weisheyer, who helped organize the recruitment event.

The Marine Corps charters planes for students to fly once each semester to raise awareness about its aviation program. This semester, four flights were scheduled and about 25 students flew.

The students who flew each were given control of the aircraft for 10 minutes while the plane was in the air.

Maj. Bryan Hill, the pilot who went up with the students, said allowing students to fly gives them good insight into what things look like from the pilot’s seat.

Students who participated said that the chance to fly seemed unusual.

“I actually was kind of surprised,” senior Andy Fazel said. “I think it’s a good way to get people to know about the program.”

Fazel joined the Marines in April.

“I’m in the aviation contract myself,” he said. “I just wanted to get up and experience it some more.”

Students did not have to be interested in the Marines to go on the flights. Senior Brian Raine said he participated because he wants to be a pilot, but not with the Marines.

“It’s probably just more or less a recruitment thing for the Marines,” he said.

Students were asked to fill out a release and provide contact information so recruiters could call them later this week.

Hill and Weisheyer told students they were not agreeing to join the Marines by flying, and that if they were not interested in joining, the students should immediately tell a recruiter.

“There’s a lot of opportunities for you to do things with flying that you would never get to do in the civilian world,” Hill said.

Weisheyer said many students who called him were unable to come to the airport for the flight times available.

“Mizzou’s always been a good draw for us,” he said.

Hill said that being an aviation officer is different than just being a pilot.

“You are responsible for your Marines, that’s your primary job,” Hill said, “You’re a leader first and an aviator second.”

Weisheyer said he wanted students to leave with a better understanding of what it means to be a pilot, and give them the correct information so they could make a decision.

“You’re not buying a used car here,” Hill told the six students who signed up to fly Wednesday. “You’re doing something that will affect your career.”

Ellie