PDA

View Full Version : Philatellic fanatics are sold on delivery

thedrifter
11-11-05, 05:58 AM
Philatellic fanatics are sold on delivery
November 11,2005
BY CHRIS MAZZOLINI
DAILY NEWS STAFF

People smashed against each other as they worked their way slowly to the table. Once they got there, they raised their hands excitedly in the direction of a man handing out â?¦ stamps?

What gives?

In this case, context is everything. On Thursday, four stamps honoring Marine Corps heroes went on sale by the U.S. Postal Service, an event commemorated by a ceremony in the foyer of the Marine Corps Exchange aboard Camp Lejeune.

The rambunctious crowd can be excused because this marks the first time the Postal Service has honored the Marine Corps with stamps.

"It's a long time coming," said Roger R. Kneisley, 65, a retired Marine and member of the Military Order of the Purple Heart.

A table was set up and manned by postal workers, who were selling the coveted stamps and other memorabilia - mugs, pins, bags, mouse pads - celebrating the four distinguished Marines. But, as evidenced by the image of workers handing out order forms, lots of items were sold out.

The four stamps - depicting Lt. Gen. John A. Lejeune, Lt. Gen. Lewis "Chesty" Puller, Gunnery Sgt. "Manilla" John Basilone and Sgt. Maj. John Daly - were unveiled before a festive and packed crowd. Once the giant prints, which were covered in red cloths, were unshrouded, each Marine's story was told.Maj. Gen. Robert C. Dickerson, commander of Marine Corps Installations East, told the crowd, which included many veterans and some active-duty Marines, that these stamps honor them as well as heroes of eras past.

"There's many out here that could be icons," Dickerson said. "When you think about the United States Marine Corps, you think about Marines. We have a Global War on Terror right now. If we could put four other Marines - lance corporals, pfcs and the like - on these stamps, they would mean the same thing."

The four stamps represent both enlisted and officers corps. Lejeune and Puller were both legendary battlefield commanders, while Basilone and Daly were Medal of Honor Recipients who distinguished themselves with their individual valor and sacrifice.

"These four Marines are - in the Marine Corps - very, very well-distinguished and are all looked-up to and admired," said Chief Warrant Officer 4 Richard A. Mangino, the base's postal officer. "It's a pretty awesome distinction. These are people that have helped shape our nation. I mean, presidents, senators, congressmen, there are a lot of folks that don't get (to be on) stamps."

But, Thursday, there were many who bought stamps. Some, like Gunnery Sgt. Joseph Poe, who returned in October from Iraq with 1st Battalion, 6th Marines, came to buy some of the stamps for posterity.

"To me, it's a part of history," he said. "I can say I've got it and can put it on display for my children to see."

Others, like retired Gunnery Sgt. Milton Whitfield, a Gulf War veteran, came to celebrate their own personal idols.

"John Basilone is my hero," Whitfield said. "He was a machine gunner, and I was a machine gunner. I followed in his footsteps. This made the Marine Corps birthday for me."

Retired Master Sgt. Clifton Major said it is about time the Marine Corps was honored with stamps and that the postal service picked the right Marines to do it with. But he said he would like to see more stamps honoring leathernecks.

"What I would love to see is a stamp recognizing the Beirut Marines," he said.

Whatever their reasons for coming, the lines around the table grew long. There was little order and lots of waiting.

One could imagine Lejeune, had he been there, barking out orders, assembling the crowd in neat, ordered ranks.

Ellie