PDA

View Full Version : About Our Coveted "Title"...

gunnyg
11-09-02, 09:14 AM
Question: The Title --United States Marine, or Marines?
by Dick G
Dick G (Login Dick Gaines)
Forum Owner

Question: The Title - United States Marine, or Marines?

One dictionary definition of the word title is
1. legal ownership
2. distinguishing name
3. designation of honor, rank, or office
4. championship

No problem there, though it does seem to refer to individuals and groups as well.

Many Marines seem to feel that this title (United States Marine) is an individual title earned by the individual Marine.
Is this so?
Then, why do the words regarding this, presumed to be taken from The Marines' Hymn, say ...the title of Unites States Marines? Or,is there some other authority for presuming this title?

Notice it says Marines, not Marine. So is it an individual title, or a collective title for Marines as a whole, after all? Think about it.
Seems it might be like a baseball team winning a championship--the championship title would belong to the team collectively, not individually, though all teammebers would share in it.

Semper Fidelis,
Dick Gaines

Posted on Nov 9, 2002, 10:09 AM
from IP address 209.130.221.195

leroy8541
11-09-02, 07:19 PM
I'm no major in the english language gunny, but it would seem appropriate marine if you were talking about one marine. In the hymn i would believe they are talking about any man ,or woman that has claimed " our coveted title" and that would be a very large and distinguished number. so in "my opinion that would be marines. just my two pesos.

gunnyg
11-09-02, 07:26 PM
Don't really think it's about English, really.

But, if I were going to bestow a title upon one, or more than one, I would not compose a ditty about it at all...
Well, as another great man related--depends what your perception of is is!

end /sarcasm.
;)
always wanted to use that /sarcasm thing.

DickG

gunnyg
11-10-02, 06:50 AM
IN FOR A PENNY, IN FOR A POUND...

English notwithstanding, I don't think even The Marines' Hymn can bestow a title on an individual, no matter how badly and blindly an individual may argue for it.

Reminds me of other, similar, cases, such as, for instance, where a, non-existent, "honorary" promotion was apparently awarded to a former enlisted Marine. (In this case, a throwback to the pre-WW II Hollywood personification of the big, dumb, loudmouth, vulgar sergeant...) I know you don't know who I mean, so forget it.

Ref
"MARINE CORPS ORDER P1400.32C

Subj: MARINE CORPS PROMOTION MANUAL, VOLUME 2, ENLISTED PROMOTIONS
(SHORT TITLE: MARCORPROMMAN, VOL 2, ENLPROM)

5. There are no provisions to issue a temporary, honorary or
probationary enlisted appointment."

Lotta things are done--but by force and w/o actual authority to do so.

No shortage of examples where folks have just assumed things, and the herd goes along w/it, and nobody questions it.