PDA

View Full Version : What the Corps means to me...

jryanjack
11-10-05, 07:38 AM
On today, our birthday, I can't help but take a moment and reflect on the person that I am, where I have been, and where I am going. In a way its strange, I only served 6 years in our beloved Corps and now have been off of active duty for twice as long as I was active. I am no longer lean, but am probably twice as mean, when provoked. Its funny how 6 years of your life and so totally define who you are, but that's what the Corps does to you, you have to earn the title, but in return you get a philosophy on life, a sense of honor, and a commitment to do what ever it takes to accomplish your mission.

The Corps means more to me now then I think that it did while I was serving, I was proud of my title then, and more proud of it now. Lately I've been reading a lot of comments about the movie and book "Jarhead" - how it really is a rant about how one Marine blames the Corps for his inability to reintegrate into civilian life. In a way I can see where he is coming from, however, I do not want to reintegrate, being a Marine is who I am, and if civilians cannot understand that then that is their problem not mine. Like all of my brothers and sisters, I life my life to a higher standard knowing that its not the reward that matters, but the journey and how we live it.

Semper Fi Marines, and Happy 230th Birthday!

thedrifter
11-10-05, 07:40 AM
Happy Birthday Marines!

Ellie