PDA

View Full Version : Dog handler, Rex bring bite to bark in Ir

thedrifter
11-10-05, 06:28 AM
Dog handler, Rex bring bite to bark in Iraq
II Marine Expeditionary Force (FWD)
Story by Cpl. Evan M. Eagan

CAMP FALLUJAH, Iraq (Nov. 10, 2005) -- Some Marines stationed in Iraq have had the unique experience of deploying or crossing paths with a relative or other loved one while here. For one Marine serving with 2nd Military Police Battalion, II Marine Expeditionary Force (FWD), she had the opportunity to deploy with her best friend.

Lance Cpl. Megan Leavey, 22, military police dog handler, arrived in Iraq late May with her partner Rex, a German Shepherd, to provide force protection for Camp Fallujah as well as security at entry control points in the city.

Leavey and Rex began training together in mid-March at Camp Pendleton, Calif., their home station, where they work with the provost marshals office.

“I picked up Rex in the middle of March,” said Leavey, a Valley Cottage, N.Y., native. “I’ve been with him for about seven months now. Everything we did at Camp Pendleton was pretty much focused on coming out [to Iraq]. We did realistic training on vehicles, buildings, and any kind of area you would think we would have to search out here.”

Rex, a four-year-old explosives and patrol trained working dog, and Leavey spend many hours a day together, either training or searching vehicles on base and in the city, where Rex sniffs out explosives and other contraband.

Before Leavey joined the Marine Corps, she attended college in upstate New York, however she decided to put those plans on hold two reasons.

“College wasn’t really working for me,” she said, “and I knew some people who died during the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks and thought why not. Being from New York, 9/11 had a big impact on me because it hit so close to home. I went and talked to the recruiter and thought it would be a good thing for me to do being that I’m also interested in criminal justice.”

Leavey and Rex, who double-up as roommates, are nearing the end of their deployment, but Leavey hopes it won’t be the end of their partnership.

“When we go back to the states hopefully I’ll be able to keep him and we’ll continue to do explosive and patrol training and base security until I have to come back out here again or wherever they decide to send us,” said Leavey.

As she approaches her two year mark in the Marine Corps, Leavey looks forward to life after the Corps.

“I’ll probably do my four years and get out and go back to school,” she said. “I’m going to pursue my career in law enforcement. It will be a big step, like an advantage for me over a lot of other people that want to do what I want to do because of the Marine Corps.”

Ellie