PDA

View Full Version : Need to Form A Job Network

germe1967
11-09-05, 12:25 PM
This is just an idea, but this would be a great forum for fellow Marines to look out for each other. Being a student who is about to graduate in Feb with an IT degree, I'm looking for IT work outsidethe state of Washington. So if any of you know of a good company that's looking for someone in that capacity, let me know. I think this site could really server former, retired and transitioning Marines in this way.

GySgtRet
11-09-05, 12:42 PM
germe1967,

You may not like what I have to say. There are a few questions that need to be answered. Are you willing to move farther east? Or possibly south into California or that general area? I am trying to prep you for some tough stuff that you may run into, bare with me. Uf you can get a goernment position that may be the best or go with a DoD contractor not the best resort but not bad either. Other departments Dep of Ag is always looking for qualified applicants. It is a gambit out here. I've been retired since Oct 93 and live in one of the job rich enviroments in the country but there is a price the ratrace is terrible. Geographicaly speaking it is very nice here. There are so many forigners (I am not against) they just can't drive or speak english very well. Just things to point out to you that's all nothing personal. By the way I think that this is a good idea. Maybe Jerry could look into making a section for this on Leatherneck, he is always looking for new stuff.

Semper Fidelis

germe1967
11-09-05, 12:50 PM
Yeah, I am not opposed to moving east some. The rat race isn't so much the problem here. Its the system. Taxes here in Washington are the third highest in the nation and, according to the govt, going up. My wife and I make a respectable amount of money and would live quite well in other areas. However we cannot afford more than a mobile here. Not to mention the fact that we have one of the most corrupt governments I have ever seen. (and yes, I got around while on active duty) After yesterdays election, and the things that happened (that we know about), my wife and I made a decision that we were leaving this state upon graduating.

logan01
11-10-05, 08:11 PM
I'm from Washington too, know what you mean, it's been "Californicated". Don't despair, there are IT jobs all over the country. The good-paying IT jobs are in the large cities, with big corporate headquarters. I have one kid in MN and 2 in PA in high-tech jobs. Things are really fluid, do your homework, send out lots of resumes and be prepared to wait for the right one.
Semper Fi

airframesguru
12-01-05, 11:46 AM
Please check out

www.marineea.org.

Pass on to your Fellow Marines. Well worth it.