PDA

View Full Version : Corps may revise regulations on CAR

thedrifter
11-08-05, 05:44 PM
Corps may revise regulations on CAR

By Christian Lowe
Times staff writer

It's one of the most coveted decorations on any Marine's chest.

It's a mark of someone who has tasted combat and made it through. A ribbon that says you fought a war.

But after an extended and stubborn insurgency in Iraq that has changed many of the rules of warfare, the Corps is edging closer to broadening the regulations for awarding the Combat Action Ribbon.

One Marine general, who is preparing to lead Marine forces in the Middle East this spring, has forwarded recommendations to the commandant on ways the regulations should change - including giving a second look to Marines who've been nominated to receive the CAR and were rejected.

The commandant, Gen. Mike Hagee, said he's open to reviewing the regs.

"I have asked that a review go on, because as you know, there have been several bodies that have said we should take a look at that," Hagee said of possible changes to CAR regulations during a Nov. 2 interview. "It is relatively specific, [you were] involved in a firefight and conducted yourself appropriately in a firefight.

"I am always open to review things, and I am waiting for that review to come up, and I'll take a look at it."

With an enemy that avoids direct firefights and favors guerrilla hit-and-run ambushes and makeshift bomb attacks, the old criteria for awarding the CAR are outdated, senior Marine officials say. The regulations were changed in 2000 to incorporate rules of engagement meant to avoid civilian casualties during operations in Kosovo.

"The criteria is spelled out in a [secretary of the Navy] instruction, but if you read down through it there's some subjectivity to it," said Lt. Gen. John Sattler, commander of I Marine Expeditionary Force, during a Nov. 1 interview.

"We're trying to get a little better framework on it. It's out there. There's a lot of emotion associated with it," he said.

The review comes on the heels of heated arguments during the sergeants major symposium held late last summer. Recent Iraq vets told stories of Marines whose performance under fire was extraordinary but who, amazingly, did not rate a CAR.

Others said that although it's time to change the rules, it is no time to go overboard, either.

Sattler has been outspoken about changing the criteria for the CAR. And as both the I MEF commander and Marine Forces Central Command chief when he takes command of Marine operations in Iraq next spring, it'll be up to him to award the CAR to the Corps' combat vets.

"It's important that eligibility requirements are not too stringent and that they are being evenly applied," he said in mid-August.

Since then, Sattler forwarded a list of recommendations to Hagee asking for a revamp of CAR requirements. Although he was not specific on what those recommendations were, preferring to wait until the ongoing headquarters review releases its findings, he did say Marines should be considered for CARs even if they weren't in a firefight.

Over the years, the awarding of the CAR has been far from consistent.

During Vietnam, distribution varied.

During the 1991 Persian Gulf War, Marine commanders issued them "fairly liberally," according to a series of briefing slides on the issue presented at the sergeants major symposium. In that war, the ribbon was given to most Marines simply for showing up in Kuwait.

The rules were changed after the Kosovo campaign. Under the old regulations, a Marine had to return fire after being fired upon to rate the CAR. But recognizing that the rules of engagement sometimes limited a Marine's ability to shoot back, Corps officials decided in 2000 that returning fire wasn't necessary to rate the ribbon.

Sattler explained that, under the current rules, Marines hit by roadside bombs might not qualify for a CAR.

He said he wants the changes to reflect the realities of fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan - for both sailors and Marines.

The incongruous rules "can only create animosity and a little bit of envy and a lot of potential frustration," Sattler said.

If the Corps decides to change the rules, Sattler vows to go back and see if some Marines and sailors who were denied the CAR should now be awarded one.

"We've held the line all the way along," Sattler said. "But if it's the right thing to do … if we have to go back and review some of the other submissions for the Combat Action Ribbon that were not approved, we're more than willing and more than happy to go and do that."

greensideout
11-08-05, 09:11 PM
This is an interesting topic considering that the "Bronze Star" was handed out like candy to the Army in Nam. It would appear that any officer of the Army whose troops engaged the enemy would receive one. Some may have earned it but others are in question. So here we go with the CAR. I will give my views and look forward to yours.
If Marines/Navy ingage in a fire fight and mix it up with the enemy, then of course yes, they should receive the CAR but what if they didn't get a chance to pop a cap? Such as, being hit with a RPG or IED while on patrol? Was it any less "combat"? If they receive the PH there should be no question, at least in my mind, they should receive the CAR.
But what if they are in the rear supporting the troops? They too are in harms way. Should they receive the CAR? I say no.