PDA

View Full Version : When Would George Washington Have Quit?

thedrifter
11-01-05, 05:38 PM
When Would George Washington Have Quit?
by Christopher Flickinger
Posted Nov 1, 2005

The next time you see a college student ask him or her, “How many colonial soldiers were killed by the British before George Washington called it quits and put an end to American’s war for independence?” Don’t be surprised if you actually get a number.

On Wednesday night, October 26th, college students across the nation participated in various anti-war protests or, as many of them referred to it, vigils commemorating the 2,000 military deaths in Iraq. These so called “vigils” included much more than candles and Kumbaya.

In New Haven, Connecticut, students from Yale attended a vigil where the lyrics to Bob Dylan’s “Masters of War” were handed-out and John Lennon’s “Give Peace a Chance” was sung. In Greensboro, North Carolina, dozens gathered on the Guilford College campus proclaiming, “Not one more death, not one more dollar.” In Gainesville, students from the University of Florida joined others in an anti-war protest. And, in Evanston, Illinois, students from Northwestern University took part in an anti-war protest where signs read “Let the dead teach the living,” and “How many more?”

The loss of 2,000 lives is tragic. In fact, the loss of even one life is heartbreaking. But, to pick some sort of magical “death toll number” as to when America should tuck its tail between its legs and run is down right un-American! They want to know, “How many more?” The answer is: “As many as it takes.” The price of 2,000 lives over a two and a half year period – for the cause of freedom – is small compared to what our forefathers paid.

August 6, 1777: almost 500 colonial soldiers were killed by the British in Upstate New York. Did George Washington quit after losing 500 men in one day? No. He went on and won the Revolutionary War.

September 17, 1862: more than 26,000 soldiers – including some 12,000 Union soldiers – died in the Battle of Antietam. President Lincoln lost 12,000 men in one day, but did he quit? No.

July 1863: after a three day battle in the town of Gettysburg, more than 51,000 men lay dead including 23,000 Union soldiers. It was regarded as a major victory for the North and a turning point in the Civil War.

June 6, 1944 – D-Day: Allied forces sustained an estimated 10,000 casualties after storming the beaches of Normandy, France. But, General Dwight D. Eisenhower pressed his troops onward and won World War II.

Indeed, let the dead teach the living! There is no price, no number too great for the cause of freedom.

Unfortunately, these are not the sentiments of some of those within our nation’s institutions of higher learning. While they enjoy the benefits of freedom provided by our forefathers, they mock and forget the costs of upholding it. One student told the Yale Daily News, “I think [the war] is a waste of time, energy and lives, and is about money, not democracy. …There’s been talk of a voluntary draft…I am afraid of a draft and everyone should be, with the frequency of casualties.”

George Washington must be turning over in his grave! What would the Father of our country have said to someone making these types of comments during America’s fight for independence: “You, coward.”

Those who have tasted freedom should be the most adamant about defending and promoting it. But, today this is not the case. While most of us are grateful for the brave men and women who voluntarily enlist and serve our country for the cause of freedom, others seemingly wish to withhold this precious gift from those in need by recalling the men and women who share it. Still others fear and dread that, should it be necessary, one day they may be called upon to serve our country. Nathan Hale, a Revolutionary War hero who regretted that he had but one life to give for this country, would be appalled.

Those who took part in these so called “vigils” and anti-war protests across the country should remember the price our forefathers paid for freedom and the costs we must endure to uphold it. All of us, especially those within our nation’s institutions of higher learning, should heed the words of Patrick Henry:

Gentleman may cry peace, peace, but there is no peace. …Our brethren are already in the field. …What is it that gentlemen wish? What would they have? Is life so dear, or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me give me liberty, or give me death!

Ellie

CAR
11-01-05, 08:20 PM
AMEN!

Joseph P Carey
11-01-05, 08:42 PM
May I also remind people that Lincoln was not a popular president with the public, and the opposition did everything they could to keep the Union Soldiers from voting in the Presidential Elections. It was not the public so much as it was the Soldier and the families of the Soldier that reelected Lincoln for a second term. It is the same as now, People that have given nothing have no idea of what it is they may lose without fighting for it!

greensideout
11-01-05, 08:43 PM
What does that have to do with Iraq? We are not fighting there for freedom. At least not ours.

Joseph P Carey
11-01-05, 09:09 PM
What does that have to do with Iraq? We are not fighting there for freedom. At least not ours.

GSO, you may be very wrong on that statement! The only reason we are there at all for this long is because our Congress quit us once before in Vietnam. When you get a rep for being beatable, it sticks with you like the smell of a skunk, as is the story of the French! The enemy knows it does not have to beat us militarily, only politically, and you are falling right in line for them with that statement!

We are fighting for Democracy over Theocracy in Iraq, and Democracy will save the world, while Theocracy will destroy it. Even here in the USA we have a political battle of sorts between Democracy and Theocracy. Hopefully, Democracy wins here as well!

greensideout
11-01-05, 09:25 PM
JPC, you may be wrong on your statement, "Democracy will save the world". A joke right? A representive government is the way to freedom. That's what America is supposed to be. So let's spread that instead!

Joseph P Carey
11-01-05, 09:31 PM
JPC, you may be wrong on your statement, "Democracy will save the world". A joke right? A representive government is the way to freedom. That's what America is supposed to be. So let's spread that instead!

Democracy is good enough in a Homogeneous Society. Not everyone has the good fortune of being raised in a melting pot like we were in the USA, but it is a start to a better world!

greensideout
11-01-05, 09:43 PM
Democracy is good enough in a Homogeneous Society. Not everyone has the good fortune of being raised in a melting pot like we were in the USA, but it is a start to a better world!

There ya go again! Homogeneous and melting pot is a non fit. I think that you and I would agree that saving parts of the world by war is folly.

Joseph P Carey
11-01-05, 10:07 PM
You can't shoot everybody! There just are not enough rounds of ammunition and well aimed shots!

No! War is not the answer for all situations, but Iraq is where it was needed!

junker316
11-07-05, 03:18 PM
GSO, JPC
If war is so favorable or unfavorable what difference has it made to our Governement? We are still fighting in Iraq, we are still the world's police force, we are still doing the very things in the US that would make our forefathers turn in their grave. We have allowed our nation to change to fit the rest of the world's needs. We have allowed the very esentials to be removed from our buildings, schools, and other national places because they were offencive to some-one of another nation. I shouldn't be saying " we " but our Government. Our forefathers would not be very happy with things being ran the way they are. Goerge Washington would be fit to be tied and Thomas Jefferson would have flipped his lid by now. Abraham Lincoln would become aggressive against our Government and run for his third term in office...even as a skeleton. What our Government needs to do is quit playing " World Hero " and find a way to sovle the problems of America before trying to sovle the rest of the world's problems.

greensideout
11-07-05, 05:45 PM
I could not agree more junker316. The truth is, I'm sorry to say, is that we have already crossed the bridge to world government and it appears that there is no way back. Kind of like the Titanic, we can't get the country turned around to what it should be before we hit disaster.

Joseph P Carey
11-07-05, 06:12 PM
Poor guys! We are not the flower covered float in the parade! Gee! Just how do you think this country has gotten to where it is today? We have started more wars in the world than any other country for a reason. It is nothing new to us! We have been doing it since the Treaty in Paris with the Brits. Most of our country was taken from someone else one way or another. It is the nature of the beast we have always been, and I for one am proud of it, because to paraphrase one of our great statesmen, "A world divided can not long stand divided!" We have gotten rid of the American Indians that stood in our way; we have gotten rid of the European Monarchies that stood in our way; we have gotten rid of the Major Communist Countries that stood in our way; and now we are getting rid of the islamic that are standing in our way. Soon, the EU will Implode, and in the next Twenty Years we will get rid of the UN and we become the United States of the World: The world united under one house! It is the only way to insure peace in the world.

sgt.r.n.davis
11-07-05, 06:16 PM
Look Towards France, They Have Been Against This War And Did Not Support The USA. But They Are Under Siege Now ,9 Cities And 300 Towns Are Burning And Possibly More.
80 Police Officer Have Been Wounded In 12 Days.why?
They Haven't Even Called Out There Army!!! Why? The News Calls The Rioters Youths Or Just Young Men!!! Why?

This World Better Wake Up Soon Before Its Too Late!!!
These People Declared War On Americans And Christians And Anyone Else That Does Not Follow Their Believes..

Read The History Of Their Past. They Want Too Repeat It Over And Over Till They Rule!!!

Gentlemen Please I Beg You, Stop Fighting Within Your Border And Unite!! As American's !!! Stand Tall And Be Counted!!! Why? Because We Don't Want To Wait Till Tomorrow,that Would Be Possibly One Day To Late...

junker316
11-07-05, 06:39 PM
Sounds to me like Hitler, Ghangis Khan, Nepoleon, and all the other so called world Conquers wound be pround to hear to your statements. But look again in history. Any-one who has tried to conquer the world has lost everything they had to begin with. They weren't a people anymore and the strength they thought they had was ripped from them. Hitler thought that once Germany conquered Europe and Africa that they would easily beat Japan and rule the world. Ghangis Khan believed that once he had the entire world at his feet that every-one would bow to him. Even the Romans tried it and Greeks. Look what happened to them. Egypt thought it ruled everything at one time. Then they were conquered themselves. The Germans tried it twice and guess what...they lost. Every nation that has so far tried to conquer the world has dropped to mere petty nations. Fighting within and without and being forced to decide if it was worth it to lose what they had. Even taken out the Bible that no single land will rule the entire world. It will be stopped and destoried. You can go as far back as Babylon and see that world domination never suceeded. There was always some other nation willing to stop the nation trying to conquer the world. History should tell you that it will never happen. Not in our life time or in any other. We are to help promote peace and freedom not again hold cursades and attempt to conquer nations and rule this world under us. It has been tried and failed over and over again. You may be proud that our nation is built on taken things from others and treating those that were taken from like subservants. I'm not. I am proud that we have servived many wars and am able to have the freedom that our forefathers fought and died for. I am really proud that we as a nation are able to keep that freedom and peace within our borders and help others to find it and use it. But if keeping everything that was conquered by the US then why is not Kuwait ours, or France, or any other nation that we freed from thier invaders. Because it isn't the American way.
Poor guys! We are not the flower covered float in the parade! Gee! Just how do you think this country has gotten to where it is today? We have started more wars in the world than any other country for a reason. It is nothing new to us! We have been doing it since the Treaty in Paris with the Brits. Most of our country was taken from someone else one way or another. It is the nature of the beast we have always been, and I for one am proud of it, because to paraphrase one of our great statesmen, "A world divided can not long stand divided!" We have gotten rid of the American Indians that stood in our way; we have gotten rid of the European Monarchies that stood in our way; we have gotten rid of the Major Communist Countries that stood in our way; and now we are getting rid of the islamic that are standing in our way. Soon, the EU will Implode, and in the next Twenty Years we will get rid of the UN and we become the United States of the World: The world united under one house! It is the only way to insure peace in the world.

greensideout
11-07-05, 07:22 PM

"The world united under one house! It is the only way to insure peace in the world."
Yep, if it's God's house there will be peace.

Joseph P Carey
11-07-05, 08:05 PM
You do understand that I said we would have to get rid of the UN first. It is true we have not kept our countries we have taken, but in the years to come, alliances that are not even present as yet will come about! Watch and learn Grasshopper! Have Patience!

greensideout
11-07-05, 08:27 PM
We didn't take Nam. What makes you think that "we have taken countries"?
"Taken"? Na, we just go and fight till the gov gives up. So much for your "the world will be saved with one house (the US) theory.

greensideout
11-07-05, 09:26 PM
JPC, you talk as if "we" were the big dog on the block. No really so anymore. China takes the lead with us in monetary support. They have weapons that can sink our naval fleets, they have more troops then we can make ammo to counter, and "we" gave them the ability to nuke the US.---(Thanks Bill). So if you think that the US is going to travel around the world and stomp the countries to put them "under our house" I think you may be wrong.
Semper Fi Marine

Joseph P Carey
11-08-05, 01:33 AM
JPC, you talk as if "we" were the big dog on the block. No really so anymore. China takes the lead with us in monetary support. They have weapons that can sink our naval fleets, they have more troops then we can make ammo to counter, and "we" gave them the ability to nuke the US.---(Thanks Bill). So if you think that the US is going to travel around the world and stomp the countries to put them "under our house" I think you may be wrong.
Semper Fi Marine

And, the Soviets had more Armor and Combat divisions than we had, and more Bombers and fighters than we had; and, the Chinese have more men than we have, but they don't have one Naval Aircraft Carrier and they could not land a battalion anywhere outside of China; and, the Germans were stronger with better weapons; And, the Japanese were Fanatical Fighters sworn to die on their swords. and, and, and... And, we are still the Big Dog!

Give it a break GSO! The Chinese have forever been a land force confined to China and the area around China, hell, the Vietnamese pushed them back into China in their war with China in the 70s. They surrounded one American Marine Division with 10 Divisions in Korea and they still could not win, and they haven't been in a war since they were pushed out of Vietnam. I will say that the Chinese Government will have a hard time hanging on to power over the next five years, and China may revert back to the War Lord System, or to a democracy. I don't foresee any problems there. The Chinese philosophy is to absorb their enemies, to make their enemies Chinese, it always has been.

As far as Vietnam goes, we won ever battle, but the Democrat Congress turned their back on the allies we had in South Vietnam, and the service men that fought in that country, and they (Congress) lost that war with the Case-Church Amendment, not us. As it turned out, Vietnam was so beaten in that war that they went nowhere, and they fell behind the rest of the world by 30 years. They and North Korea stand as excellent examples of what happens to countries that oppose the USA. They fall behind the rest of the world, and our allies prospered like South Korea.

The thing is, we don't have to stomp any country once we have proven to the world, once again, that we have the resolve to stick it out. The USA military grew under Theodore Roosevelt, not because we were great military back then, but because we were seen as a military with a resolve to complete the mission. All we had to do was to send a warship into the harbor of an offending nation and all hostilities ceased.

The Democrats put the thought in the world's leaders that the USA could be beaten by their actions in the Vietnam war and in the Iran Hostage situation, not through military power could we be beaten, but through political power, and that is the reason why we are where we are today: In deep dog crap. That is why there was a 9/11.

The waving of a finger in the air and the tough words mean nothing if you are not willing to complete what you started.

junker316
11-08-05, 07:17 AM
I can see that your views are very the much the same as the rest of the Fanatical leaders I mentioned not some many replies ago. Every-one was bigger and had more equipment and were better trained and had all this, etc, etc, etc. The US will nver be able to hold the world under thumb.

GSO has a big point. China may be land bound but they can still travel across that land. We are not the big dog anymore. Our forces are spread to thin around the world. We wouldn't be able to haold back China if they decided to just beat us at your style of game. They may not at this time have everything needed. But you forget...neither did we at some point in our history.
And, the Soviets had more Armor and Combat divisions than we had, and more Bombers and fighters than we had; and, the Chinese have more men than we have, but they don't have one Naval Aircraft Carrier and they could not land a battalion anywhere outside of China; and, the Germans were stronger with better weapons; And, the Japanese were Fanatical Fighters sworn to die on their swords. and, and, and... And, we are still the Big Dog!

Give it a break GSO! The Chinese have forever been a land force confined to China and the area around China, hell, the Vietnamese pushed them back into China in their war with China in the 70s. They surrounded one American Marine Division with 10 Divisions in Korea and they still could not win, and they haven't been in a war since they were pushed out of Vietnam. I will say that the Chinese Government will have a hard time hanging on to power over the next five years, and China may revert back to the War Lord System, or to a democracy. I don't foresee any problems there. The Chinese philosophy is to absorb their enemies, to make their enemies Chinese, it always has been.

As far as Vietnam goes, we won ever battle, but the Democrat Congress turned their back on the allies we had in South Vietnam, and the service men that fought in that country, and they (Congress) lost that war with the Case-Church Amendment, not us. As it turned out, Vietnam was so beaten in that war that they went nowhere, and they fell behind the rest of the world by 30 years. They and North Korea stand as excellent examples of what happens to countries that oppose the USA. They fall behind the rest of the world, and our allies prospered like South Korea.

The thing is, we don't have to stomp any country once we have proven to the world, once again, that we have the resolve to stick it out. The USA military grew under Theodore Roosevelt, not because we were great military back then, but because we were seen as a military with a resolve to complete the mission. All we had to do was to send a warship into the harbor of an offending nation and all hostilities ceased.

The Democrats put the thought in the world's leaders that the USA could be beaten by their actions in the Vietnam war and in the Iran Hostage situation, not through military power could we be beaten, but through political power, and that is the reason why we are where we are today: In deep dog crap. That is why there was a 9/11.

The waving of a finger in the air and the tough words mean nothing if you are not willing to complete what you started.

Joseph P Carey
11-08-05, 06:29 PM
I can see that your views are very the much the same as the rest of the Fanatical leaders I mentioned not some many replies ago. Every-one was bigger and had more equipment and were better trained and had all this, etc, etc, etc. The US will nver be able to hold the world under thumb.

GSO has a big point. China may be land bound but they can still travel across that land. We are not the big dog anymore. Our forces are spread to thin around the world. We wouldn't be able to haold back China if they decided to just beat us at your style of game. They may not at this time have everything needed. But you forget...neither did we at some point in our history.

I know that no one wants to think logically any longer, you most of all, but please tell me one reason why we would want to invade China? It is obviously not for the available land, because there is none! It is not for the any reason that I can Immagine off the top of my head. But, on the contrary, let us pose this question in a different prospective: Why would China want to attack the US? Again, it is not for the available land for its people! Secondly, the USA has already exhibited a desire to not want to die, and it will use any weapon at it disposal to see that it does not. The wake of suck a confrontation would not be acceptible to any Chinese Leaders that I know of.

The first question that one must answer one's self is what does the Chinese Government want? The immediate answer is more agricultural land for its people! Now, one must ask where would China go to find such lands? The answer is that they would not go East to find such lands, they would go west into the underbelly of the Russias, or north to the open plains of the Mongolia and The Russian Federation lands, or they would go south into the Indochina area of the Asian southeast. That may be the reason why they have not built up their fleets, because they would not need them.

The Chinese are a practical people, and they have had a rather bad history of foreign adventures. Even the character for their country means Middle Kingdom. Throughout their history China has always had buffers states along its borders to protect itself from the outside world. I really don't see them changing anything about their national character anytime very soon into History. The first rule of war is to know your enemies, and you do not.

junker316
11-18-05, 09:40 PM
JPC, I was just pointing out that there is a bigger doig than us on the block. Our bite might be more damaging at first but our strength will wear down quicker than the other bigger dog that not only has a biger mass than us but also an almost never ending river of blood to lose. When reading my replies do me a favor and don't try to read between teh lines. You won't find anything there. Once again though you try to turn my words against me in issuing an " attack from China" that we both know wouldn't help them in the least. Our Tactical bombs would rip them apart and our technology is way more advanced. But they have bodies to spare. We necessarily don't. From what I have read from you is that "we can hold what we take" and that is far from true. We don't have the man power for such an action nor would it be easily done. The rebelions that would surely follow would hand us our A$$es in a basket and we would be to weak in the end to defend what land we would have left. In pointing out the other rulers who thought those same lines as yourself and approiately pointing out the outcome maybe was a little unfair to you. I will apologize for any offence I may have cause you. But Histroy is still history and we can't change it. Attila the hun was a very strong leader and choose to " rule the world " when all there was was swords and such items to fight with. His reign of terror ended before he could meet his dream. Hitler thought that once the Japanese entered the War that they would grow to be a weakened nation and he would be able to walk in and take them over in the end...it never got that far thank GOD. Romans tried to defeat all lands and conquered nations. Once they got fat and happy these same nations rose up and beat the sh%$ out of them. greece did the same...only they grew greedy between themselves more so than the romans did and while they fought themselves for power the nations they conquered rose up and tore them apart. Our nation is strong and will hopefully always be. But for us to issue a " New World Order " and us run the world...it will never happen no matter what we use to conttrol them. Either we would destory everything trying or they would become to strong for us by causing us to fight on to many fronts or they would dwindle us down and cinquer us.
I know that no one wants to think logically any longer, you most of all, but please tell me one reason why we would want to invade China? It is obviously not for the available land, because there is none! It is not for the any reason that I can Immagine off the top of my head. But, on the contrary, let us pose this question in a different prospective: Why would China want to attack the US? Again, it is not for the available land for its people! Secondly, the USA has already exhibited a desire to not want to die, and it will use any weapon at it disposal to see that it does not. The wake of suck a confrontation would not be acceptible to any Chinese Leaders that I know of.

The first question that one must answer one's self is what does the Chinese Government want? The immediate answer is more agricultural land for its people! Now, one must ask where would China go to find such lands? The answer is that they would not go East to find such lands, they would go west into the underbelly of the Russias, or north to the open plains of the Mongolia and The Russian Federation lands, or they would go south into the Indochina area of the Asian southeast. That may be the reason why they have not built up their fleets, because they would not need them.

The Chinese are a practical people, and they have had a rather bad history of foreign adventures. Even the character for their country means Middle Kingdom. Throughout their history China has always had buffers states along its borders to protect itself from the outside world. I really don't see them changing anything about their national character anytime very soon into History. The first rule of war is to know your enemies, and you do not.