PDA

View Full Version : Gun Control

thedrifter
10-31-05, 06:51 PM
Ok Marines

A question that was brought to my attention...

How do You Marines feel about gun control?

Ellie

bigdog43701
10-31-05, 07:49 PM
Marine definition of gun control: a 2" group at 300 meters.

yellowwing
10-31-05, 08:17 PM
The Gun Control Laws are pointing in the wrong direction. They are currently not very effective in keeping weapons out of the hands of criminals.

Does anyone know about criminal gun violence in places like Switzerland and Israel where pretty much everyone has a weapon? Do thugs break into houses where they are guaranteed that Pops is waiting with a 5.56?

mrbsox
10-31-05, 08:19 PM
MY opinion ??

Marine definition of gun control: a 2" group at 300 meters.

Beyond that, in my humble opinion, gun control belongs to the PEOPLE.

WE THE PEOPLE...
as in the 2nd ammendment, which if necessary will protect YOUR first ammendment (and all othes).

I don't think any one will argue that firearms in the WRONG hands are a dangerous thing. THAT, and ONLY THAT fact, are the only reasons that the government (of, by, and for the PEOPLE) should control the publics ability to 'keep and bare (fire)arms'.
But with that said, if more LAW ABIDING citizens, carried, openly, I truly think there would be less;
street crime
home invasions
assault and battery

Now, if you want to live some place like 'TAX'achusseuts (sp) or Chicago, or NYCity, or Detroit, or any other place that strict gun control ammendments have been placed into effect, that is your decision, to live in that environment.

My right, extends to the ability to live some place that allows me the ability to own and carry (legally) RESPONSIBILY.
Research KENNESAW GA. Back in the 70's, the city Govt' enacted a law REQUIRING every HEAD of HOUSEHOLD, to own a firearm AND ammunition for it. I don't have the specifics, but crime droped to something below 1% overnight.:thumbup: That is effective gun control.

Recently, in the aftermath of Katrina, we all know there was shooting going on at the rescuers. But it was short lived, as LAW ABIDING citizens stepped up to make a difference. And when it was recommended that the Police go house to house confiscating firearms (from occupied homes), it was 'shot down' (pun intended) by the courts. It is times like that that the 2nd ammendment stands out as necessary, for PUBLIC safety.

My $.02

Terry

greensideout
10-31-05, 08:44 PM
Well said mrbsox! I think that you covered near all the points of Gun Control and you put it well---"Gun control belongs to the PEOPLE".

dcline
10-31-05, 08:58 PM
Up here in Massachusetts you have to know sombody to get a FID (Firearm identification) card. Your have to fill out a 3 page form, pay $75 and pray that the chief of police is in a good mood and that they havent foung the slightest hickup on the back groung investigation and maybe you get your FID in the mail 6 to 8 weeks later. Meanwhile some gang members are having it out in your front yard and you pray that they hit what their aiming at and the mail man has your FID card so the next time that big buck seps out in front of you dinner will be servied providing you remember that you are shooting a 30/06 and not an M16 and the safety that was thare last week on the range is not ther now and you look down and say SH*T a little too loud and that deer (6point 50yrds off) laughs while trotting off. That right this little rant is true every last word right down to the safety and mest up gun laws in this state.P.S The hunting story happend in Vt.

mrbsox
10-31-05, 09:02 PM
From some web research:

Here is a tale of two cities: one that banned handguns and one that required guns. Guess which town enjoyed a plunge in crime.

In June 1981, Morton Grove, Ill., a northern suburb of Chicago, passed an ordinance banning handguns. In reaction, Kennesaw, Ga., a northern suburb of Atlanta, passed an ordinance requiring heads of households "to maintain a firearm" and ammunition "to provide for the civil defense" and "protect the general welfare of the City and its inhabitants."

"Some people seem to think our residents are not armed," Morton Grove Police Chief George Incledon, told United Press International on Tuesday. The chief pointed out that the law did not prohibit ownership of shotguns or rifles, and that gun collectors were exempt.

Many citizens prefer shotguns to handguns for home defense. Incledon did not define "gun collector." Morton Grove residents could store their handguns outside the village limits or at a licensed gun club.

Moreover, Incledon recalled, out of a population of 25,000, only "a few people, maybe 10," surrendered handguns to police in the months after the law went into effect.

Similarly, Kennesaw's law provides so many loopholes that, in effect, no one is compelled to obey it. Convicted felons are, of course, excluded. Also exempt are those "who suffer a physical disability [undefined] which would prohibit them from using such a firearm" and those who "conscientiously oppose firearms as a result of religious doctrine or belief [also undefined]." Inhabitants may claim exemptions for moral or financial reasons, said Detective Cpl. Craig Graydon, a Kennesaw Police Department spokesman, in a phone interview Tuesday.

According to a National Rifle Association document, the law was not expected to increase gun ownership. "It was expected that publicity surrounding the ordinance would warn criminals that residents were capable of protecting themselves and their community and would do so with the government's blessing," the document said.

The results?

Not much of anything in Morton Grove. "We were fortunate to have a low rate of violent crime before the ordinance was passed, and we are fortunate now that the rate is still low," Incledon told UPI.

But Kennesaw's crime rate plummeted. In fact, the number of some crimes declined amid soaring population growth. For example, in figures the city provided to the FBI Uniform Crime Report, Kennesaw had 54 burglaries in 1981 – the year before the gun ordinance – with a population of 5,242. In 1999, with a population of 19,000, only 36 burglaries were reported.

The rate of violent crime is approximately four times lower than the state and national rates, Kennesaw's Crime Statistics Report said. "Violent crime is almost nonexistent in residential neighborhoods," Graydon told UPI. The detective, who has been with the police department since 1986, said the isolated exceptions take place in motels or in commercial areas.

Graydon said he has lived in the area since 1979 and has heard no open opposition to the gun law. This remains the case even though most of Kennesaw's newcomers are from northern states.

Asked whether the ordinance has attracted new people to Kennesaw, Graydon said: "Not specifically the law itself, but quite a few people cite the low crime rate, which a lot of people do attribute, at least in part, to the gun law."

The detective said Kennesaw used state criteria for carrying a concealed handgun. "It's not that difficult" to get the license, he said. Unlike some other jurisdictions, Georgia does not require permit holders to submit the serial numbers of their handguns to the police. "We don't register firearms down here," Graydon said.

On Tuesday afternoon, Handgun Control's Washington office was invited to comment on Kennesaw's crime statistics. A spokeswoman there replied that no one from the organization could address the issue until after a press conference.

Copyright 2001 by United Press International. All rights reserved.

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2001/3/27/223955.shtml

Another article I ran across showed 2003 population at just over 25,000, and a COMBINED crime rate of @ 3%, an index of 244. Better than some 'Smallville' towns.
But admittidly not perfect.

mrbsox
10-31-05, 09:07 PM
Up here in Massachusetts you have to know sombody to get a FID (Firearm identification) card. Your have to fill out a 3 page form, pay $75 and pray that the chief of police is in a good mood and that they havent foung the slightest hickup on the back groung investigation and maybe you get your FID in the mail 6 to 8 weeks later.

I used to travel alot, and read up on some of the gun laws where I was going. Carried my personal weapon to Florida, Texas, even California (Fresno) on buisness.
Anyway, I think I remember reading that in Mass., a firearm, IF permited, was to remain DISASSEMBLED, while in the home.

Is that part of it true also ??

greensideout
10-31-05, 09:10 PM
Speeking of Massachusetts, I have often heard the following expressed---"My guns have killed less people then Teddy's car." :D

dcline
10-31-05, 09:28 PM
I beleive it just has to have a triger lock and be unloded in a locked storage unit. When I went to get my FID card I was told that I probably would not quallify. So I didn't bother wasting good...

RLeon
11-01-05, 12:05 AM
Gun Control...Just know this, the only people who obey and are affected by gun control laws are the law abiding citizen.
San Francisco may pass a law requiring it's arms bearing citizens to turn in their guns...those who don't will become felons, they will be tracked down and procecuted because San Fran has gun owners listed. And don't think because you don't live in this area or in the Peoples Republic Of Kaliforia that it won't happen to you, cause other states tend to mimick California Laws. Remember Adolf Hitler...once the Nazi party took power they confiscated the guns from everyone(exept those from his regime). This was done for their own safety...too bad for them, this made it easier for the Nazis to kill about 6 million people who were unarmed and unable to defend themselves...you might think "that could never happen now" maybe, but do you want to leave this to chance? "Free men do not ask permission to bear Arms"

On a lighter note(if there is one on this subject) check this site out http://www.guncontrolnetwork.org/gcn1.htm , it's a parody of a Brit anti-gun site...Many Brits have realized the folly of their government and their anti gun laws...hope that we never go their route.

mrbsox
11-01-05, 06:32 AM
I beleive it just has to have a triger lock and be unloded in a locked storage unit.

My point exactly... what good is it, IF you need it ??

Florida has an ordinance (I believe), that if a minor is involved in a crime (shooting) involving a weapon, the OWNER of the firearm is held liable.
I agree with it, in that it promotes RESPONSIBLE ownership. But it doesn't mandate locks or storage.

Our kids grew up with firearms in the house. 2 girls and a boy in the house.
Some loaded, some unloaded.
Some locked in a (glass) gun case, some not.
They also knew that they could kill. They knew that if they wanted to see them, they got me or Mom, and we looked at them together. And when they were size approporiate, we went to a range and busted some caps.
From .22 up thru 12 gauge and .50 muzzle loader.
We NEVER had any problems. I feel the key is to reckognize their natural curiosity, and satisfy it with education AND experience.

I guess my continuing point is simply that RESPONSIBLE citizens don't require gun control statutes. They are in place for the ir-responsible. And that puts 'WE THE PEOPLE' in the forefront.

So... why not just enforce the laws we have whenever a 'thug' does something, instead of enacting new 'feel good' gun laws, that probably won't get enforced anyway !!

ggyoung
11-01-05, 11:36 AM
In Vietnam the people had no way of defended them selfs. If they had gun the goverment killed them, so did we. In july 1965 as I seen this I joined the NRA as a life member. Here in Utah our state conatuaion is very much like the Fed's when it comes to the 2ed amendet. I rember whyle in high school we could take our guns inside and no one would say anything about it. The thought being we were going hunting after school. It still is the same way. Guns were and are a way here in centerl Utah.

mrbsox
11-01-05, 09:33 PM
Bump !

Ms. Ellie asked;
Ok Marines

Ellie

I'm intrested to hear from ivalis, and our esteemed Cpl. Cary, and others.

Joseph P Carey
11-01-05, 10:01 PM
Bump !

Ms. Ellie asked;
Ok Marines

Ellie

I'm intrested to hear from ivalis, and our esteemed Cpl. Cary, and others.

Well! Mr Carey owns a gun, and it stays in a closet for ready use, but after saying that, I have to say I was a Bounty Hunter for twenty years of my investigative career, and I never had a need for a gun in all my arrests. I found out long ago that a gun is not a magic wand, and to take a prisoner down without the support of a well armed group of police officers at my back, it was better to have two hands and a pair of handcuffs, as well as the element of surprise. Besides, I have been trained to use a weapon, and my greatest fear was that I would use it to kill for nothing more than a few hundred dollars, unlike others that have not been trained to kill and would not use the weapon, and more than likely would have it taken away from them.

I believe that everyone should have the choice of the ownership of a weapon, and there should be no laws prohibiting said ownership of a weapon. After all, if a person is willing to break a law about Armed Robbery, they are sure as hell not likely to heed the law about gun possession in the commission of a felony!

Being a killer is a choice to be made before one picks up a weapon! I already know I am a killer, and I would do it again without a second thought. No warnings, no statements that I have a gun; I'll just shoot the SOB and be done with it, and it would not bother me one day after I had done it.

tbruyle5
11-01-05, 11:26 PM
Gun Control: Sight alignment - sight picture!

I support personal carry (with checks). A well armed citizen does not scare me.
It's the criminals that already have the guns that make my hair stand up on the back of my neck on every traffic stop I make.

OLE SARG
12-01-05, 09:48 AM
I support concealed carry and I carry my Glock with me wherever I go. As a retired MO State Trooper, I agree with tbruyle5's statement, it's the criminals with weapons that I worry about. Take away all the rights of the private citizen and only the ******* criminals will have guns.
Gun Control - steady trigger squeeze, sight alignment and large magazines!!!!

SEMPER FI,

Nagalfar
12-01-05, 10:41 AM
The ideal gun control is 2 to the chest and one to the head before they hit the ground.. to deny people the most basic of protection is to deny people the God given right to protection for their family and theirselves.. My wife is Australian, I have come to know the laughable gun laws they have in Australia, for the most part guns are outlawed, once they took all the guns crime has gone though the ROOF.. AND, there are now laws banning knives past a certain length, because, the gangs are hacking people up with machetes and long knives because they could freely carry those without much trouble.. at their current rate of outlawing knives, you will no longer be able to carry anything sharp with 8 years.. then they will start in with pencils.. the Govt. does not blame the lack of guns for the huge increase in crime, they blame the ability to aquire more weapons (including guns) for the crime increase.. you can see where this slippery slope is going.. it's insane.. the only no firearms country we can look to as being succesful is Japan, but that is a culture of the blade (sword) and has never been a firearms culture, other than Japan there is no place where gun control and not been welcomed with a large increase in crime.. Washington, D.C. and Morton Grove, Ill. being proof of that..

"The great object is, that every man be armed. [...] Every one who is able may have a gun."
Patrick Henry

"Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power."
Yoshimi Ishikawa

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
Thomas Jefferson

david43844
12-01-05, 11:45 AM
We have the right to keep and bear arms...........I agree with that. Should I lose that right due to Govt. interference, I will continue to keep and bear arms. I havnt killed anything since Viet-Nam, not even a bunny! But I will if I have to!:rambo:

rvngunner
02-17-06, 09:56 PM
any intellegent Marine or Marine who has been trained in proper rifle and pistol control, not only has the constitutional right but also should be armed with a pistol during these trying times of terrorism. In Vietnam I was a sniper. I had 79 confirmed and 144 probable kills. By eliminating the right enemy personal I am sure I saved many lives. I was awarded the Naval Cross for my actions and my spotter the Navy Marine Corps with V. The only problem we had is we were both disabled with PTSD 70% and I am disabler another40% from disabling wounds I recieved. I am proud to be a Marine Veteran and would do it again in a heart beat. I would love to be serving in Iraq now. I carry the same old 1911a 45 cal. Pistol that I carried in Viet Nam. I have taken extremely good maintance in the weapon. I wear it every day on a cartrage belt every where I go. If I enter an area where weapons are forbidden I make sure that the person that I leave my pistol with knows what will happen to him or her if any thing happens to my weapon. I live everyday with my PTSD. I have bad flashbacks and very bad nightmares, but I survive as I am a SURVIVOR. Thank You former Gunnery Sergent James B. Herring. Semper Fi rvngunner@aol.com

recon532002
02-17-06, 10:53 PM
Amendment II

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed

Any Questions
RECON