PDA

View Full Version : Sgt. Bradley HARPER 5-K

bigdog43701
10-31-05, 08:47 AM
:rambo: On sat. 10/29/05 there was a 5-K run in Dresden, Ohio in memory of Sergeant Bradley HARPER, KIA 8/3/05. The weather was in the 50's with no cloads in the sky (a beautiful day). There were 211 runners and walkers who took part in this event.

Sgt. HARPER was killed in Irag on 8/3/05 while serving with the 3d Bn. 25th Marines. That Battalion took heavy casualties while in Irag. He was also a Police Officer with the Virginia Beach Police Department, serving in District 2 (the beach front area). He was born and raised in the Dresden, Ohio area and received his Law Enforcement training at Muskingum Area Tech College. He applied for and was accepted for a positiion at Virginia Beach.

Sgt. HARPER was returned home to Zanesville, Ohio for funeral services. I was proud, when asked by the Sheriff of Muskingum County, Ohio to head up an Honor Guard detail for Sgt. HARPER. The detail was made up of four former Marines and we then paid honor to Sgt HARPER, along with other Deputies from the Muskingum County Sheriff's Office and the Zanesville Police Department and officers from his department, Virginia Beach Police Department. Also present were several Marines both current and from the past. Sgt. HARPER was burried with full military honors in his hometown of Dresden, Ohio.

The 5-K run was to keep Sgt. HARPER's memory alive in everyones mind and to celebrate his life. The entry fee went to the Make-A-Wish Foundation. There is now a child with cancer of the eye, that when their father returns fromdeployment in Irag, will be able to go to Disney World and take the entire family.

Another former Marine and myself entered this event (yes the "ole" sarge can still pass the Marine Corps PFT even though I am 53). There were several former Marines there also, along with officers from Virginia Beach.

After much discussion, it has been determined that this will become an annual event. The next run will be on Saturday 10/28/06.

A note to all Marines, mark your calender. We will "fall-in" at 1545 on that day and show the community what Marines do to help other Marines.