PDA

View Full Version : A must read book about the Marines in the Battle for Fallaujah!!!!

mpwildes
10-29-05, 01:11 PM
I Haven't even finished the book but, I figured I needed to get the word out about this book written by Bing West. This is by far one of the best books I have read about modern combat and well written by a man who has been in combat as a Marine 2ndLt Rifleman in Vietnam. He then Served as the assistant Secretary of Defense under the Former Late President Ronald Regan. Bing West also was embedded witht he 1st Marine Division during OIF I and wrote a book called "The March Up" (which I also read and was a very good frontline account of the Marines on the ground and their actions.

No Ture Glory is very descriptive, a true account of the Marines in both Battles for Fallaujah. He also touches on how it all began and how the Marine leadership disagreed with going in full force the first time and how the different government agencies and politics had their role in the fight. How the government agencies lines of communication were utter failures.

But mostly why I wanted to read it was the first hand accounts of the Marines on the ground in the fight. It is a very personal story of those who fought and some paid the price with their lives.

"THIS IS THE FACE OF WAR AS ONLY THOSE WHO HAVE FOUGHT IT CAN DESCRIBE IT." - Senator John McCain

I have never reccommended a book more than I do this one. A must read for all Marines and Families. If you pay close attention you will see names of allot of Marines who have been mentioned on this website for there heroism and awards they have recieved are in this book.

Any comments and comment are welcomed by all. Please go out and ge this book.

http://www.westwrite.com/

ggyoung
10-29-05, 04:16 PM
I have looked for the book but can not find it.

mpwildes
10-30-05, 01:25 AM
Order it on Amazon or any major bookstore will order it for you

sirmess1
10-31-05, 10:21 PM
YUP!! bought this book because I was there with BLT 1/3 for Operation Phantom Fury, but when I over there, I was only aware of myself and not privy to what was happening and the overall situation. It is nice to read the events leading up to Phantom Fury and what was happening with higher ups and the other Battalions, to know there was a method to the madness occuring at the grunt level.
Another good book is One Bullet Away by Nathanial Fick

RLeon
11-01-05, 04:21 AM
Another good book is One Bullet Away by Nathanial Fick

:yes: Well written... reads like a novel, Fick does a good job describing sights, sounds, emotions, and thoughts without boring you with a bunch facts, tactics, and figures.

mpwildes
11-09-05, 02:36 PM
UPDATE!!!!!

I finished reading the book and I am upset that it is over. I have never enjoyed a book like this one. Those are just some account of the Servicemembers in Iraq who are truely Heros.

Go out and buy this book

LivinSoFree
11-09-05, 02:38 PM
Interesting note- Nathaniel Fick is the same LT featured in Evan Wright's "Generation Kill"- ANOTHER excellent read.

Osotogary
11-09-05, 02:55 PM
Thanks for the update, mpwildes. I wonder if Barnes and Noble will have it? I'll check this weekend.
Has anybody written any books about 2/8 in Iraq/Afghanistan? Maybe it is too early.

ringoffire
11-10-05, 07:25 AM
I have heard No True Glory is a great book. A friend of mine read it, she recommended it to me and my husband. I haven't found it yet, will try Amazon.