PDA

View Full Version : 'Jarhead' shoots blanks

thedrifter
10-28-05, 06:09 AM
'Jarhead' shoots blanks <br />
By Kirk HoneycuttFri Oct 28, 2:29 AM ET <br />
<br />
&quot;Jarhead&quot; follows the lead of Anthony Swofford's 2003 Gulf War battlefield memoir in sticking with the grunts on the ground. <br />
<br />
It...

junker316
10-28-05, 11:22 AM
Sounds to me like they have proposely left the good parts. They don't have to show Boot Camp scenes but they could show some of the other stuff, like the units before the War and how they got along there. Maybe they paln on making a sequal to it since they seem to have left the audience to an open ending.

jryanjack
10-29-05, 04:44 AM
Junker - don't know if you read the book, but its not really that good. Boot camp in the book is maybe half a page - so I don't think that the movie is going to be that true to the book. I think that the book did an good job of describing the camaraderie and the hurry up an wait mentaility of military life in general - however, there is also a darker side - the author steals MREs and other Marines' 782 gear and sells them out in town for beer money. The first sense that I got from the book was "This doesn't seem like the Corps in which I served" and the author and I were in at the same time. On Military.com the book is slamed as an insult to Marines everywhere - that may be a little strong, however, its not exactly a pro Corps book either.